Welcome to the reboot of GunslingerGaming's community! New & returning members will need to register an account to gain access to the new site. Be sure to add yourself to game Master Lists via your User Control Panel, write an Introduction, & send out those friend invites to each other!

Creative Corner - Post Your Creations & Projects Here!

The topic for members to share their creations and side projects.

Moderators: GS Advisor, Founder, Trail Guides

Wookiee
Level 2
Level 2
Main Platform: PC
Discord: 9615
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:24 am

I like to listen to 90's hip hop while I play Destiny 2.

BDNYY23
Rank 11
Rank 11
Main Platform: PS4
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:16 am

Sorry Dunk, can't help much as I am still running my 8.2mp Canon Eos 20D. Actually, most pics are now taken with my Note 8, just too lazy to lug the DSLR around, though I did try to get into photography when I was younger ;). One thing that I will point out, is if you are truly getting into photography, the AF Points and AF speed should not play as much into your decision as you will probably move to manual focus, unless you prefer to allow the camera to make those decisions for you. I have always preferred Canon and Nikon cameras - sony was great but always implemented proprietary lenses, batteries and memory formats that kept me away from their cameras in the past, but they may have learned from those mistakes.

Personally, if I already had the quality Canon lenses, I would probably lean towards the 80D but it sounds like you have done a lot of the research and you may be leaning in a different direction. Good luck in your purchase and hopefully someone else will be able to chime in and offer more information to help you make a decision.
dunkaroo69
GS Advisor
GS Advisor
Rank 13
Rank 13
Main Platform: XboxOne
Discord: 8319

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Yeah, I'm likin the 80D as well. I'm even contemplating the 70D as it's a little cheaper for a used one, and that way I can get a couple more lenses. But used I have to worry about shutter counts and fungus and dust and everything!

The AF points don't do a thing for me. Nice to have, I guess, but I'm already moving into manual everything so having more of them isn't a deal breaker. I really should make it a point to head to my local camera store to test these all out, see which one suits me the best.

I'm probably gonna go with Canon just because I already have several lenses for it. However, the Nikon is really speakin to me as well, but that means all new lenses, which isn't a bad thing since alot of them are around the same price as the Canon ones.
BDNYY23
Rank 11
Rank 11
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Not sure if you have a Costco near you, but if you do you and assuming Costco in Canada has the same return policy, you could try picking up one of the cameras and giving it a try for a couple weeks. Costco here has always had a very open return policy allowing you to try the product and if you are not happy with it you can just return it.
dunkaroo69
GS Advisor
GS Advisor
Rank 13
Rank 13

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:39 am

Yup we have a Costco here. The camera store here is pretty good at letting me come in and try out different gear to see if I like it, though, which is great when I'm in the market for a new lens, or in this case a new camera :D
Bullet_stopper5
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Level 8
Level 8

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:41 pm

What did you end up getting? And what store is near you?
DrNiggle
Rank 10
Rank 10
Main Platform: PC
Discord: 6574
United States of America

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Origin

SPOILER-FREE, NO SPOILERS!

It’s a scifi horror series by YouTube Originals which takes place on a passenger transport bound for a new colony on a system 5 light years from Earth, when something goes wrong.
The cast is well chosen and in terms of acting everyone was spot on. Characters made sense, back stories were informative and in some cases brutal, and I never paused to ask myself why any of them were there. That’s by far the best part of this series.

As for a scifi show, this is a nice fist try. For a studio that’s never done scifi before this is one hell of a go. Unfortunately, this is not YouTube Originals first try at scifi, it’s their third and I think I figured out why it’s not great. What do Dead Space, BioShock, Outlast, F.E.A.R. and Five Nights at Freddy’s all have in common? They all have horror elements, they all have jump scares, and they’re all top rated Let’s Plays on YouTube. To a marketing division, this means that they’re going to do well with audiences. That seems like a reasonable explanation for why the show is like it is.

The show doesn’t just like jump scares, it crams them in. In fact, I’m pretty sure the writer/creator Mika Watkins got half way through shooting the series and was so fed up with the jump scares that she started throwing them around to make fun of the whole thing. Jump scares are not frightening, especially not in scifi. They’re lazy, off putting and annoying. You want scifi horror? You need something menacing and dreadful, not something that pops up and makes everyone scream and flip out over and over and over.

The show also sacrifices sensible ship design for the horror genre. I know, who cares about technical specs in a scifi horror setting, I get it. But it’s important because I can’t be immersed in a story and truly be scared by unfolding events if I’m asking myself “Who designs a space ship with an enormous central connector without any airlocks or seals in the event of a hull breach?” An asteroid pokes a tiny hole in the wall and the ship loses half its oxygen and there’s no way to travel around to get to other systems. Also the ship has an array of spinning rings which one would imagine are for spin gravity, right? No. The rings spin, but it’s like you’re standing on a turning record, the spinning has nothing to do with gravity, they just make the ship look cool. Also also, instead of being a modular design where each ring operates autonomously in the event of one of them being damaged, they all apparently rely on one another, so if something goes wrong on one then all of them will start to fail and the whole ship will explode or something. This show obviously had a budget but I don’t believe that any of it was spent on a science adviser which is an issue to me, this being a scifi show and all.

So it’s a jump scare-based horror show in a scifi setting without too much thought in the scifi direction; where did all the effort go? Visuals for one, they’re very well done, but mostly to the characters. The character stories are hands down the best part of the show.

Last, there’s a review up on IMDB where the writer states they can’t believe people rated this below a 9. I can. People have also written that it’s an old story being told in a different way and there’s nothing terribly original about it; I agree. People have also refuted that by stating that anyone who thinks this is an old story hasn’t seen the last episode where some exciting stuff happens; for anyone who has read Japanese literature (manga is literature, fight me) or seen Japanese cinema, it is a common device to tell one story throughout most of the work, and then reveal a different story that has been happening the whole time without the reader/viewer knowing. That’s more or less what’s happening here.

Tl;dr This is a show about an interesting and diverse group of characters in a marketing-analytics driven scifi setting that’s heavy on the fiction, not so much the science.
dunkaroo69
GS Advisor
GS Advisor
Rank 13
Rank 13

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Still didn't buy one yet... However, I've been doing alot of research and comparisons and discovered the Sony A6000. It's actually a pretty damn nice camera, with better image quality than several of those cameras I had listed. AND, it's a fraction of the cost. The body alone starts at around 500 bucks, which means I'd be able to get a few extra lenses with it. Already priced it out and with a good quality zoom and a few primes it actually comes out cheaper than even the 77D. Only problem is I lose the Canon ecosystem if I do this. Which is a real shame.

Close by there's a McBain Camera. Great store with lots and lots of great cameras for me to test out. Oh I wish this decision was easier!!!
BDNYY23
Rank 11
Rank 11
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:57 am

Ah, go with the Sony then and the new lenses. Keep the Canon and those lenses as a backup or to use when you are traveling and don't want to risk bringing the Sony, or you can let your family use the Canon and not have to worry about them screwing around with the settings on the Sony. You already have every game system so why not multiple cameras ;)
NIK Bass
Rank 10
Rank 10
Discord: 6965

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:10 pm

Sony bought Minolta a few years back, so they are bringing a lot of SLR history into their brand with that. I'm not up on new cameras, I have Fuji S5 and love it, rolled over the counter a couple of times without a glitch. Ironically though I'd suggest staying away from Fuji due to support after the sell, they are kind of bad at it. Cannon and Nikon are both good choices, but for your use the difference in cost would sway me between the two. Sony makes a fine camera, even before they brought in the Minolta side, and unless one of the others has a very specific feature you are looking for that is missing in the Sony, go for it. For mostly personal use there is no cause for concern.

Video options are nice features to look for on DSLRs not w to.

Just my two cents, I'm late to the party.
XBOX: NIK Bass
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic