Welcome to the reboot of GunslingerGaming's community! New & returning members will need to register an account to gain access to the new site. Be sure to add yourself to game Master Lists via your User Control Panel, write an Introduction, & send out those friend invites to each other!

Photography and camera advice

Moderators: Trail Guides, GS Advisor, Founder

dunkaroo69
GS Advisor
GS Advisor
Rank 12
Rank 12
Main Platform: XboxOne
Discord: 8319

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:08 pm

I've been getting more and more into my photography lately. I currently have a Canon Rebel T5. Beginner stuff, I know, but it's worked for me for a couple years now. But as I learn and experiment more with exposure, composition, lighting, etc, I'm starting to definitely feel the limitations of my current DSLR. So I'm in the market for a new one. Only problem is, I can't decide which to get.

I'm looking for something in the intermediate category. I'm no professional by any means, but I would like something that I can grow and learn with for at least a few more years before upgrading to something super expensive with all the bells and whistles. I've narrowed my choices down to several different cameras and they are, in no particular order:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EOS 77D
Sony Alpha A7
Nikon D7200
Fujifilm XT20

I've done some extensive research into all these cameras and have even done side by side comparisons. From what I've tested, the Nikon D7200, the XT20, and the Sony Alpha A7 are pretty amazing machines capable of some amazing pictures. I especially like the Sony for its full frame capabilities. One problem is I'd have to buy all new lenses for them (or the lens mount adapter) since all my lenses are Canon. Not a big deal, these are all pretty decently priced machines so I could add a couple lenses before checking out :D

Each camera has its pros and cons. The 80D is fantastic, weather sealed, fast shutter speed, great quality images even at a high ISO. But it's got an older image processor and fewer AF points. The 77D has a newer image processor, but slower shutter speed and not as good with higher ISO in low light (and that pentamirror viewfinder as opposed to the pentaprism of the 80D... ugh). The Sony is full frame, beautiful image quality, but crappy battery life and not as fast at Auto Focus. You get the idea.

So if there are any photographers out there, amateur or pro or whatever, with some advice to help me decide, I'd love to hear it. Also, if I do go with a new brand of camera, I'd need some advice on lenses, wide angle, primes, telephoto, etc. Third party lenses as well, since I have a couple of those for my Canon and they work perfectly.

Help me out!!!

BDNYY23
Rank 10
Rank 10
Main Platform: PS4
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:16 am

Sorry Dunk, can't help much as I am still running my 8.2mp Canon Eos 20D. Actually, most pics are now taken with my Note 8, just too lazy to lug the DSLR around, though I did try to get into photography when I was younger ;). One thing that I will point out, is if you are truly getting into photography, the AF Points and AF speed should not play as much into your decision as you will probably move to manual focus, unless you prefer to allow the camera to make those decisions for you. I have always preferred Canon and Nikon cameras - sony was great but always implemented proprietary lenses, batteries and memory formats that kept me away from their cameras in the past, but they may have learned from those mistakes.

Personally, if I already had the quality Canon lenses, I would probably lean towards the 80D but it sounds like you have done a lot of the research and you may be leaning in a different direction. Good luck in your purchase and hopefully someone else will be able to chime in and offer more information to help you make a decision.
dunkaroo69
GS Advisor
GS Advisor
Rank 12
Rank 12

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Yeah, I'm likin the 80D as well. I'm even contemplating the 70D as it's a little cheaper for a used one, and that way I can get a couple more lenses. But used I have to worry about shutter counts and fungus and dust and everything!

The AF points don't do a thing for me. Nice to have, I guess, but I'm already moving into manual everything so having more of them isn't a deal breaker. I really should make it a point to head to my local camera store to test these all out, see which one suits me the best.

I'm probably gonna go with Canon just because I already have several lenses for it. However, the Nikon is really speakin to me as well, but that means all new lenses, which isn't a bad thing since alot of them are around the same price as the Canon ones.
BDNYY23
Rank 10
Rank 10
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Not sure if you have a Costco near you, but if you do you and assuming Costco in Canada has the same return policy, you could try picking up one of the cameras and giving it a try for a couple weeks. Costco here has always had a very open return policy allowing you to try the product and if you are not happy with it you can just return it.
dunkaroo69
GS Advisor
GS Advisor
Rank 12
Rank 12

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:39 am

Yup we have a Costco here. The camera store here is pretty good at letting me come in and try out different gear to see if I like it, though, which is great when I'm in the market for a new lens, or in this case a new camera :D
Bullet_stopper5
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Level 6
Level 6

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:41 pm

What did you end up getting? And what store is near you?
dunkaroo69
GS Advisor
GS Advisor
Rank 12
Rank 12

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Still didn't buy one yet... However, I've been doing alot of research and comparisons and discovered the Sony A6000. It's actually a pretty damn nice camera, with better image quality than several of those cameras I had listed. AND, it's a fraction of the cost. The body alone starts at around 500 bucks, which means I'd be able to get a few extra lenses with it. Already priced it out and with a good quality zoom and a few primes it actually comes out cheaper than even the 77D. Only problem is I lose the Canon ecosystem if I do this. Which is a real shame.

Close by there's a McBain Camera. Great store with lots and lots of great cameras for me to test out. Oh I wish this decision was easier!!!
BDNYY23
Rank 10
Rank 10
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:57 am

Ah, go with the Sony then and the new lenses. Keep the Canon and those lenses as a backup or to use when you are traveling and don't want to risk bringing the Sony, or you can let your family use the Canon and not have to worry about them screwing around with the settings on the Sony. You already have every game system so why not multiple cameras ;)
NIK Bass
Level 10
Level 10
Discord: 6965
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:10 pm

Sony bought Minolta a few years back, so they are bringing a lot of SLR history into their brand with that. I'm not up on new cameras, I have Fuji S5 and love it, rolled over the counter a couple of times without a glitch. Ironically though I'd suggest staying away from Fuji due to support after the sell, they are kind of bad at it. Cannon and Nikon are both good choices, but for your use the difference in cost would sway me between the two. Sony makes a fine camera, even before they brought in the Minolta side, and unless one of the others has a very specific feature you are looking for that is missing in the Sony, go for it. For mostly personal use there is no cause for concern.

Video options are nice features to look for on DSLRs not w to.

Just my two cents, I'm late to the party.
XBOX: NIK Bass
dunkaroo69
GS Advisor
GS Advisor
Rank 12
Rank 12

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Yeah, it's such a good deal, and I don't know if I can pass it up. Camera, two lenses, all for 878 canadian. What has me so leary of it though is looking to the future and the lenses I'm gonna end up buying. Don't get me wrong, Sony makes some very good quality glass, and the third party stuff is looking pretty damn good too. But damn it's expensive. Eventually, I'd love to get the 70-200mm and the Sony version is almost a thousand dollars more than the Canon. Even the slower f4 lens is about two hundred less for Canon.

I just don't know. My wife made an interesting point. Perhaps I just buy some really nice glass for the camera I have and then later on I upgrade the body instead of trying to get it all at once. At some point I'll be upgrading to full frame and by that time I'd love to have some really good lenses to go with it. I think I just need to go into the camera store, give the Sony a test drive and see the image quality. Then maybe take a couple pictures on my old camera with some new lenses and check that image quality. See which one appeals to me more. But damn, I just love the reviews that the Sony A6000 is getting. And even the full frame A7RIII is getting some spectacular reviews, even compared to the Canon 5D Mark IV.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic