Welcome to the reboot of GunslingerGaming's community! New & returning members will need to register an account to gain access to the new site. Be sure to add yourself to game Master Lists via your User Control Panel, write an Introduction, & send out those friend invites to each other!

WiiU Turns 10 Years Old

A retrospect of the Wii U ten years later.

Moderators: GS Advisor, Founder, Trail Guides

McMurphy
Founder
Founder
Rank 13
Rank 13
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674
SMM2 ID: LPB-TX4-TYG
United States of America

Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:56 pm

gunslinger_nintendowiiu_banner2.png
The Wii U was released on November 18th, 2012, which makes the ill-fated Nintendo console ten years old. There are several of us here who gamed with me during the Wii U days, so I thought it would be nice to share our thoughts on the system now that we are well within the Switch years.

I got the Wii U at my local Gamestop in southern California on release morning since none of my local game stores bothered to have a midnight release for it. That and the fact that I was the only person waiting outside the store prior to opening were good predictors of the potential success of the console. Regardless of the reception of the Wii U, I still personally like the system. Sure, I am loving my Nintendo Switch, but the second screen feature of the Wii U as well as its nearly 100% backwards compatibility with all the original Wii's games and accessories is something I really appreciate. Besides, the Joycons are step back in motion control gaming when compared to the Wiimote, in my opinion.

I won't lie. I sort of miss Miiverse and the interactive television features that were later stripped out of the Wii U.

Anyway, since this is the 10 year anniversary of the release on the Nintendo, here are my 10 favorite games on the Wii U:
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Come back to Nintendo, COD!)
  2. Mario Kart 8 + DLC packs
  3. Super Mario Maker
  4. NES Remix 1 & 2
  5. Super Mario 3D World
  6. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD or Wind Waker HD (either HD version is fantastic!)
  7. Rayman Legends (An amazing example of what can be done with the second screen.)
  8. Xenoblade Chronicles X
  9. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
  10. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
  11. Nintendoland (This game gets too much hate.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.