Welcome to the reboot of GunslingerGaming's community! New & returning members will need to register an account to gain access to the new site. Be sure to add yourself to game Master Lists via your User Control Panel, write an Introduction, & send out those friend invites to each other!

N64 Turns 25 Years Old - Memories? Favorite Games?

The Nintendo 64 hit North American store shelves on September 29th, 1996.

Moderators: GS Advisor, Founder, Trail Guides

McMurphy
Founder
Founder
Rank 13
Rank 13
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674
SMM2 ID: LPB-TX4-TYG
United States of America

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:40 pm

25 years ago yesterday, the Nintendo 64 was released in the North American region. Just letting you know in case you forgot you were old now. ;)

Seriously though, what are your thoughts on the console? Any memories? What were your favorite games?

I got my N64 as a birthday present in 1997 just as I was starting college. Yep, that dates me. I had a NES as a kid, but skipped gaming during my high school years, due to more adult interests (like girls & Grunge music). The N64 was video comfort food as I nervously moved to the city, college life, and my first romp at roommate living. Besides, Kurt Cobain was dead and Soundgarden had broken up.

Below is a list of my favorite games. Since I doubt there will be any surprises to my Top 5, I will follow it up with a list of games that, while not the best the system had to offer, certainly are often overlooked in N64 discussions and worth a revisit.
The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time.jpg
MY TOP 5 N64 GAMES (in order):
  1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  2. Super Mario 64
  3. Mario Kart 64
  4. Starfox 64
  5. Resident Evil 2
Shadowgate64.jpg
WORTH A RE-VISIT GAMES (in no particular order):
  • Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers
  • Micro Machines 64 Turbo
  • Extreme-G
  • Excitebike 64
  • Magical Tetris Challenge
If you need to jog your memory in regards to the N64 library, here is a direct link to its wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_64_games
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.