Welcome to the reboot of GunslingerGaming's community! New & returning members will need to register an account to gain access to the new site. Be sure to add yourself to game Master Lists via your User Control Panel, write an Introduction, & send out those friend invites to each other!

Elite Dangerous - worth playing?

Moderators: GS Advisor, Founder, Trail Guides

PyroTheWise
Level 1
Level 1
Main Platform: PC
United States of America

Games

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:49 am

I recently built a PC and wondering how Elite Dangerous plays these days. I never played any version of Elite before and hearing some of the changes/additions has me interested in the game.

It is good for new players? Lots of trolls/op players that just have fun killing newbies? Any safe areas to play in?

gobi42
Site Admin
Site Admin
Rank 11
Rank 11
Discord: 0420
United States of America

Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:26 am

IF you are into Space games and don't mind a grind than Elite is well worth it. Sure it can be very good for new players. I do recommend checking out the wiki and any other sources you can find. They have in game alliances and what not(we do not have a GS one and doubt we ever will offically) also you can set it up so you can play private games so you are only in there with your friends or by yourself. If you do like it and plan on putting time into the game, i highly recommend a HOTAS as well, the Thrustmaster T1.600M is a solid buy and its sub 200 bucks with throttle and pedals too i believe(you don't need the petals they are just fun to have). I do have some time into the game personally(not a ton but i have a descent ship and some cash) just haven't played in years now.
Playing with friends can be very fun, however there are a couple of catches. First one is you have to manually fly to what ever system your friend is in or meet them at one in the middle. So this means its better to start off with some other friends so your all fresh together or find a group of veteran pilots to help you get up and going(this isn't me unfountly, i have a ship and can do some missions but never got a big ship or anything)
Deathrabbit
Level 3
Level 3
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:21 pm

The game is a lot of fun and extremely large. Starting off is kind of rough because of learning keybinds or setting them to what you want can be time consuming but once you get passed that it's nothing but fun space journeys. A HOTAS is really good to play with but if you ever do PVP mouse and keyboard is king. It's not to terribly hard with mouse and keyboard but does take some getting used to. It's a great game and has lots of things to do and space to explore. I'm sure there are still areas considered unexplored space as well but dont quote me on that. It's what is considered sandbox so there is no set path and which you take but you sort of pave your own path solo or with friends.
PyroTheWise
Level 1
Level 1
United States of America

Games

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:07 pm

I am enjoying it quite a bit. I also found a PvE focused community that has been helping me out

Thanks for the replies
Deathrabbit
Level 3
Level 3
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:52 pm

You can add me to your friends if you would like. Ign: Shiusagi

Been playing a bit with friends.
PyroTheWise
Level 1
Level 1
United States of America

Games

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:02 pm

Deathrabbit wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:52 pm
You can add me to your friends if you would like. Ign: Shiusagi

Been playing a bit with friends.
So please forgive me for this question, but how? I played on consoles exclusively for over 10 years. I just started PC gaming and I am not sure if I need to add you to steam or in Elite (or both)
gobi42
Site Admin
Site Admin
Rank 11
Rank 11
Discord: 0420
United States of America

Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:48 am

@PyroTheWise you just need to add them on steam as friends. I just reinsatlled this game last night, but haven't broken out the HOTAS setup yet and gotten all setup to play it yet. but i will be doing that. Thanks to No Man's sky i want more space dogfighting :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic