Welcome to the reboot of GunslingerGaming's community! New & returning members will need to register an account to gain access to the new site. Be sure to add yourself to game Master Lists via your User Control Panel, write an Introduction, & send out those friend invites to each other!

Retro-naut system - any thoughts

Moderators: GS Advisor, Founder, Trail Guides

BDNYY23
Rank 11
Rank 11
Main Platform: PS4
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Not sure if anyone has heard of it but I saw an ad for it on Facebook and I am seriously considering it. Basically it is an emulator system that you can get all the games from pretty much all systems from prior to the ps1 generation. I know that I could probably build something and download all the games but this has it all in one place in a neat little box, so I was hoping someone else had tried it or could maybe give me some advice.

Thinking it could be a great Christmas present for me :D hoping all you techies here could give me an opinion or some advice. Thanks

shrike
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Rank 10
Rank 10
Main Platform: XboxOne
Discord: 0064

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:08 am

That Retro-naut game system is pretty cool...the price seems a bit high to me? I wonder if a person could build one from a Raspberry Pi or something for less cost...
Admin of Destiny Gunslingers XB1 Clan on Bungie.net

=======================

"Never tell me the odds." -Han Solo
BDNYY23
Rank 11
Rank 11
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:12 am

Yeah, the price does seem high, but when compared to the retro systems out there and what is included with this one, I am kind of trying to justify the price. Regarding Raspberry Pi, that is what I read on some sites but then you would still need to get all of the emulators working properly and get all of the roms to run, so for someone like me that does not have the time to work on that, it is making me lean towards something like this. If I had the time I would consider building one, guess I could spend some more time googling how to do it before I make a decision. Was kinda hoping that maybe someone else here had actually tried this system and would be able to give a review, either they were happy with it or run and stay as far away as I can.

Maybe a fellow GSer with more time and skills is up for building one for someone - if they think they can get it working and for less, I am always up for saving some money ;)
BDNYY23
Rank 11
Rank 11
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:31 am

Figured I would provide an update on this - I took the plunge and bought the system. It took a couple weeks for the system to finally arrive which was quite frustrating since the website said all consoles ship next day (no longer says that and I know why), but the owner was helpful and kept me up to date via email responses when I inquired as to what was going on.

I did receive the console and tried it out initially (though it was officially a Xmas gift so it sat around for a little while) and identified some games/systems that were either missing or not working, when I contacted the seller he apologized and is supposedly sending out a new/updated memory card to correct the issue. Fingers crossed that the card shows up and the missing game systems are there (was really looking forward to playing RiverRaid on Atari 2600 and some of the other games from that system). Getting the bluetooth controllers paired and working within the games was a process (pairing with the console was easy, but using in game via bluetooth took more work), but that could have more to do with me not knowing what to do, I kinda was hoping that the system would be plug and play out of the box - silly me.

For the most part, the games/systems that are on the console have been working great. Some have issues, like Rambo - First Blood on the sega master system is completely screwed up, and the emulator for Atari 5200 is completely messed up so those games do not run at all (supposed to be fixed on the pending new card), but most have run great. It was a lot of fun playing with my wife and kids on New Years Eve - me and my wife getting to relive some of the classics that I grew up on like Donkey Kong and Galaga (my wife with Super Mario Bros and Nintendo classics). To see my kids expressions when I tried to explain that is what video games were like when I grew up was great, but they also enjoyed the games and wanted to try all of them as we were playing.

Hopefully the owner will come through and actually send the updated memory card and I can get the missing systems as well as getting the Atari 5200 up and running. As mentioned previously, if you have any knowledge or even just want to play around with Raspberry Pi you can probably do all of this for a lot less money, but if you are like me and just want to buy a system with all of the Retro games to play, this may be right for you. My logic was that I was going to buy the Nintendo and Super Nintendo systems that just came out, but with those, I would have paid around $120 and had only maybe 100 games, but with this, I have well over 10,000 games. Just have to hope that the console will last long enough for me to get through them all ;) Again I will post an update if I ever receive the updated memory card and get the issues resolved - just wanted to get an initial update out if anyone was considering the system.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic