Welcome to the reboot of GunslingerGaming's community! New & returning members will need to register an account to gain access to the new site. Be sure to add yourself to game Master Lists via your User Control Panel, write an Introduction, & send out those friend invites to each other!

Live TV Provider - What's Yours?

Topic exploring our realistic choices in providers for live television.

Moderators: GS Advisor, Founder, Trail Guides

McMurphy
Founder
Founder
Rank 13
Rank 13
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674
SMM2 ID: LPB-TX4-TYG
United States of America

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 pm

How do you access live television?

I ask because, recently, I abandoned cable (Comcast) to explore alternatives. My first sign up was with Playstation Vue, which I still recommend, particularly for Playstation Plus members. With a few exceptions, I got all the channels I had via cable, and the sports inclusion was surprisingly deep (even if I couldn't get the Pac 12 network like I had hoped). Ultimately, I was paying near what I was paying for the cable portion of my Comcast bill (they are my only option for high speed internet), but no contracts & I could upgrade/downgrade my plan on the fly. The cloud recording & on demand features were excellent.

But, I did switch again to Hulu Live last week mainly because I already had a Hulu account. Not only was their equilivant plan ten bucks cheaper, but that $8 a month I was paying for the Hulu streaming service was factored into the total price of the Live account...meaning, I save a total of $18 a month compared to my Vue account.

Anyway, I sound like a damn commercial. Really, I am still exploring my choices, so I am curious how the rest of you go about live television.

Oh, and digital rabbit ears are not an option where I live. I miss that free option. I had it all through living in Venice and Sausalito but I wanted to buy a place with more rural areas around, and trees blocking signals is the downside, unfortunately. Still, it is pretty amazing just how many channels you can get for absolutely free if you have a good broadcast strength from a nearby tower.

NIK Bass
Rank 10
Rank 10
Main Platform: XboxOne
Discord: 6965

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:22 am

PS Vue, the only PS product I have in my house. I do have a Sony TV, it's nice. I like that you can setup different profiles and manage DVR type options for each.
XBOX: NIK Bass
DrInsan3no
Rank 16
Rank 16
Main Platform: PC
United States of America

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:23 am

I haven't had cable for a few years now, it's 100% irrelevant to me now. If I ever want to watch any sports I always use Reddit live streams, they're always about 30 seconds off of the actual game. If I want live TV reddit can also work for that but there aren't very many options, so I keep my Hulu live for any other sorts of television that's needed. How's the VUE? I was looking in to them quite awhile back, wasn't enough info about them back then, would rather have people's reviews for it.
"The numbers Mason! What do the numbers mean, Mason?"
The Strength
Level 1
Level 1
Main Platform: PS4
United States of America

Games

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:20 pm

I'm not sure of it's relevance, but I watch my Live TV on an android device using Mobdro.

It's an APK. It works very well.

It's how I watch my Crimson Tide games (ROLL TIDE).
acetiepilot
Rank 10
Rank 10
Discord: 1656
SMM2 ID: OK1-9W0-GHF

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:44 am

I don't watch a lot of tv. My wife mainly used Netflix on a VPN to access the different countries libraries. I use it occasionally.

I mainly just subscribe to some sorry packages such as NFL game pass, NHL TV and the Premier league. That way I can watch what I want, when I want
Feel free to add me on the following platforms:
Switch: SW-5580-5753-0614
Xbox: acetiepilot
Steam: Friend code - 39751675
Currently Playing: Star Wars: Tie Fighter (PC), Cruisin' Blast (SWITCH), Fifa 22 (XB 1)
Aerophobic
Level 4
Level 4

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:42 am

Hulu live is decent but I mainly just torrent TV shows from eztv.it
Level 6
Level 6
Discord: 9520

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Bear in mind I’m Uk based here...

I haven’t had a live TV feed into my house for over two years, which has saved me c.£150 on the mandatory annual TV licence. For TV packages I used to have Sky Tv (the closest version we have to cable over here), which cost around £100 per month including fiber optic broad band and phone lines.

These days we just use Netflix and Disney Life for the kids, and we have a high speed internet and phone package for £40. All in, it’s a saving of just over £50 per month.

At first I thought I’d miss the live TV, but looking back now I have no regrets.
Switch Friend Code: 2320-9232-4156
3DS Friend Code: 2810-0615-9035 (PM me your code too)
Pokemon Go Trainer Code: 6988-5961-5248
Twitter: @sticky5245

NIK Bass
Rank 10
Rank 10
Main Platform: XboxOne
Discord: 6965

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:07 pm

The Strength wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:20 pm
It's how I watch my Crimson Tide games (ROLL TIDE).
War Eagle!
XBOX: NIK Bass
MuttleyGriffin
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Main Platform: PC
Discord: 4171
Great Britain

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:41 pm

UK here too...

We have Virgin Media. For years I only had fibre broadband from them, however when the introductory offer ran out, I re-negotiated it and ended up getting the same fibre broadband (200Mbps down) TV (with a 1TB TiVo box) and phone-line; for £39 p/month (approx $50) for 12 months contract. All in all, very happy!
Korchie
Level 5
Level 5
Discord: 9370
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Oooo one of my favorite topics!

I've tried most of the options that exist (in the States).. My favorite was probably Hulu's live TV options or YoutubeTV.

I had YouTube TV back when it was new to my area and loved it. I actually bought it for several months.. then I realized I wasn't using it like I had initially planned... found another way to get sports (honestly, the only live TV I care about is sports. Specifically, Detroit Sports), so I cancelled it.

The downside to YoutubeTV is that it requires a Google Chromecast. They used to give it away free with a month's purchase of YouTube TV, but that was a while ago.

I should probabably add, that I do purchase Netflix every month.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic