Welcome to the reboot of GunslingerGaming's community! New & returning members will need to register an account to gain access to the new site. Be sure to add yourself to game Master Lists via your User Control Panel, write an Introduction, & send out those friend invites to each other!

Playstation Classic - Are You Getting It?

Sony's Playstation mini classic console on December 3rd. Are you getting it?

Moderators: GS Advisor, Founder, Trail Guides

McMurphy
Founder
Founder
Rank 13
Rank 13
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674
SMM2 ID: LPB-TX4-TYG
United States of America

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:13 pm

Sony's entry into the mini classic console market is official on December 3rd, 2018 with the Sony Playstation Classic. Last week, the full roster of baked in games was announced, and they are the following titles:
Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms
[Reference]

What do you think of the games being represented? Are you planning on picking up this retro replica?

There are some triple A titles there like FFVII, Resident Evil, Wild Arms, Tekken 3, etc, but it seems really odd that Crash, Spryo, Tomb Raider, WipeOut, and some other early Sony flagship franchises are missing. Without them, it feels like this doesn't really address the more casual buyers in the market who would expect to re live those games in this package. Sure, there has been recent HD collections and listings on the Sony store for the omitted games, but that never stopped Nintendo from including the first Super Mario Bros., and that company has been attempting to resale the game on every Big N device since the SNES.

Anyway, I may pass on this version and hope Sony goes with a different approach down the road. How about the rest of you?

Level 6
Level 6
Discord: 9520

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:46 am

In all honesty, I've been pretty underwhelmed on the line up.

FFVII, RE, GTA and Tekken are must haves In my opinion, but as VII and RE are coming to the Switch I'm in no hurry to shell out the De Niro required to play these along with other games I'm just not that fussed about. Think I'll save a few quid and just get VII and RE on Switch.

Thankfully I still own my backwards compatible PS2 (still in regular rotation in the Sticky household :)), so if I do ever have a burning desire to play any of the others I'll try to locate an original copy as and when.

Nintendo definitely far outshone Sony with their NES / SNES Classics, shoe-horning many of their highest rated games from each platform on their respective devices. To me, this just feels like a very quick cash grab from Sony trying to jump in on the nostalgia bandwagon that's been rolling along for a while now. And has been the case in the past, Nintendo set the benchmark and everyone else wants a piece of the action too.
Switch Friend Code: 2320-9232-4156
3DS Friend Code: 2810-0615-9035 (PM me your code too)
Pokemon Go Trainer Code: 6988-5961-5248
Twitter: @sticky5245

dunkaroo69
GS Advisor
GS Advisor
Rank 13
Rank 13
Main Platform: XboxOne
Discord: 8319

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:32 am

No Vigilante 8???? Cmon Sony you’re killin me here.
acetiepilot
Rank 10
Rank 10
Discord: 1656
SMM2 ID: OK1-9W0-GHF

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:17 pm

While I got a PS1 late into it's cycle (I won it), the N64 had already solidified itself as my favourite console of all time.

There were some great games on PS1, which seemingly do not appear on this version. Namely one, Ape Escape. Man that game was great. Obviously without the analogue controller tho, how are you going to play it? Crash Bandicoot racing was another game I really enjoyed.

Everything else on the list, apart from maybe 3 titles, just feel a little bit lackluster. So I won't be picking up this mini console version.
Feel free to add me on the following platforms:
Switch: SW-5580-5753-0614
Xbox: acetiepilot
Steam: Friend code - 39751675
Currently Playing: Star Wars: Tie Fighter (PC), Cruisin' Blast (SWITCH), Fifa 22 (XB 1)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic