Welcome to the reboot of GunslingerGaming's community! New & returning members will need to register an account to gain access to the new site. Be sure to add yourself to game Master Lists via your User Control Panel, write an Introduction, & send out those friend invites to each other!

Headset recommendation

Moderators: GS Advisor, Founder, Trail Guides

dunkaroo69
GS Advisor
GS Advisor
Rank 13
Rank 13
Main Platform: XboxOne
Discord: 8319

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:19 pm

I'm sure this topic has been brought up before but I can't for the life of me find it :P So forgive me if this has been brought up. I recently stepped on my headset, and the other one downstairs was chewed up by the new kitten :( So I'm now in the market for a new headset. The old one I had was just an afterglow PS4 headset, but it worked with everything I have. It was a decent headset and I'm tempted to buy it again, but as a secondary one (like the one downstairs the kitten ate). I would like a little more serious headset, especially with the new games I'm grabbing this Christmas (Fallout, BF5, etc). It does need to work across all systems, if at all possible. An Xbox, PS4, Switch, PC, phone (not a terrible thing if it don't work with a phone, but it'd be nice). Budget around 150 - 200 CAD (so around 112 - 150 USD). Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

PS: goes without saying but I won't be chatting on XBOX live or PSN without a headset, so my online communication with other GS will have to be put on hold until after Christmas :(

SocalledFin
Level 7
Level 7
Main Platform: PC
Discord: 7980
Finland

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:16 am

My suggestions:
Best bang for buck is the Cloud II:s (virtual 7.1!) but if you want to go upper end budget and more customization options, guaranteed premium stereo sound or sweet Dolby 7.1 environment i added 2 more options.
HyperX Cloud Revolver S:

HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset:

Sennheiser GAME ZERO:
Origin : SocalledFin
Steam : SocalledFin
Discord : Socalled#7980
PSN : Socalled

I accept friend requests on any platform just mention GS
BDNYY23
Rank 11
Rank 11
Main Platform: PS4
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:22 am

Were you looking for wired or wireless? I have been using the same wireless headset since PS4 came out (Skullcandy Plyr1 and love those), but I just recently picked up a set of Steel Series Artis 7 on sale during Black Friday as a backup. They appear to be highly rated and are wireless for PC and PS4, but not sure about Xbox. My other backup wireless set has just been inherited by my son, the Corsair Void Pros (got from Bestbuy for $10) are also very good for wireless PC and PS4, but again no luck with Xbox. If you are ok with wired and you can find a good deal, the Astro a40s or more specifically the Mix Amp Pro, but again I believe there may be compatibility issues with the Xbox. The Astro A20's look good as a wireless option, but again, you either have a set that is compatible with the PS4 or Xbox.

Sorry, since my family is PC and PS4, it appears that I am not much help on the Xbox side. If you go with a wireless set like that also works with a cable (like the Steelseries), you could do wireless on the PC and PS4 and then connect the cable for Xbox. Otherwise, I think a wired set may be your best option. If you could find a Mix Amp that works on all systems, I would recommend investing in that and then you could get a headset that fits your budget and upgrade those over time. I thought the Astro Mix Amp worked on all, but it looks like it may not be compatible with the Xbox as that system has a different model.

My older son has the Cloud II for the PC and seems to like those, and he also uses them when he occasionally plays the PS4. He has only had them for a year, but I think something may be wrong as he mentioned using the BestBuy warranty to exchange them. If you are looking at those, they regularly go on sale for $69.99.
BDNYY23
Rank 11
Rank 11
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:26 am

This is the Corsair Void Pro set that I have, and it is currently on sale at BestBuy for $65, they also have it in black on sale for the same price. Great price for a wireless set that works wirelessly on PC and PS4

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vo ... Id=6006502
dunkaroo69
GS Advisor
GS Advisor
Rank 13
Rank 13

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:33 am

Yeah I’m thinking wired is the best. That’s what my last two sets were and they worked with everything, even though the afterglow ones said they were ps4 only. I’ll have a look at all these options and find one that works for me :D Thanks guys!!!
Peanut
Level 1
Level 1
United States of America

Games

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:55 am

Sorry I don't have a recommendation but definitely DO NOT get Tritton Kunai headset. Its is aptly named because it feels like two knives stabbing you in the ears.
Merry X-Mas, kiddies -- from yer uncle Juggernaut!
BDNYY23
Rank 11
Rank 11
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:48 am

Looks like the Steel Series Arctis 7 may be a great option for you, if you are at all considering wireless, as you would have wireless for PC and PS4, and you could connect to Xbox via 3.5mm. I picked them up during a black friday sale for $100 and have seen them at that price in the weeks following, so you may be able to still find them at that price. I think you just want to make sure that they are the newest version, as I think there were some changes that fixed issues with the prior releases.

If you use Google Express and it is your first order, you should be able to get 20% or up to $20 off using code Holiday18 If you do this and select BestBuy, you would get the price down to $129.99.

You can also go with the Steelseries Arctis Pro wired headset. It looks like it is currently $180 at BestBuy and Fry's, but if you use Google Express and use the same code, you should be able to get $20 off. They are also currently $158.99 on Amazon.

The Steelseries Arctis 5 are $100 at Bestbuy on Amazon (again, get the 2019 version), so those may be worth considering as a full wired option as well. Looks like the Steelseries headsets get good reviews across the board on sound quality and comfort.

With any of these, if you have a local BestBuy, my recommendation is to buy from them and get the 2 year protection plan. Other than my Plyr1's, we have replaced almost all of our other prior headsets under the plan within 2 years for various reasons. I know that they may be modifying the replacement/protection policy, but so far they have been great with it.
BDNYY23
Rank 11
Rank 11
United States of America

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:15 am

Not sure how good these are, but for $20 for open box, recertified units, it may be worth a try https://shop.1sale.com/products/steelse ... s-next-day
dunkaroo69
GS Advisor
GS Advisor
Rank 13
Rank 13

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:27 am

Awesome thanks BD. These look to be exactly what I’m looking for. They even work with my switch :D I’ll have a look and see what the cheapest price I can find is.
coolhandlewke
Rank 10
Rank 10

Gunslinger Badges

Games

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:50 pm

ive got a turtle beach stealth series wireless. it works great on both pc and xbox. mine is a 420x, which is unfortunately disco'd.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic