Login with a social network:

Your Fav Classic Shooter!

Do you recall all the wasted hours on the games and consoles of the past? Everything from the first Playstation and the Nintendo 64 to the NES and the Dreamcast is fair "game" here.

Please forgive the lame pun.

Re: Your Fav Classic Shooter!

Postby scion of tea » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:26 am

MikePDaTruth wrote:
scion of tea wrote:
Sundalo wrote:All of the Doom series, especially cranked up on those high difficulty settings LOL. :lol:

Ah, Doom. I think I'm unusual in saying my first experience of the series was the port of Doom 1 on the Sega 32X. :mrgreen:

Mine was the SNES port of Doom 1...from what I remember it was a pretty good port for a 16-bit console, actually.

Yeah, 32X Doom was my first but SNES Doom was the one I played most, and it was pretty good. I seem to remember everyone being surprised that the SNES was even capable of handling Doom.
No one ever reviews Xbox Live indie games. Now I do: http://indieocean.wordpress.com/

scion of tea
Grave Digger

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby MikePDaTruth » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:04 am

scion of tea wrote:Yeah, 32X Doom was my first but SNES Doom was the one I played most, and it was pretty good. I seem to remember everyone being surprised that the SNES was even capable of handling Doom.

It handled it quite well too, from what I remember. Framerate was a little herky-jerky when compared to the PC version, but from screenshots you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference. I remember the game being TOUGH too, at least back then. I believe this was the first game where I experimented with a "God Mode" cheat, and if I remember correctly there was another cheat that gave you the BFG from the first level with infinite ammo. :twisted:
[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/slammer74a/Slammers%20Banner%20Creations/MikePDaTruthSigBanner.png[/img]
MikePDaTruth
Rancher

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby CanAmBC » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:15 pm

I can say I am a huge PC gamer It started with UNREAL then went to Soidier of Fortune love the games I still sometimes play SoF...thought the game was the bomb lol

Really been there and done that... chicks do dig the scars...
CanAmBC
Green Horn

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Location: 25 ft from US/Canada Border @ Ft Resort Echo Company MSGT in Charge

Postby Pikan Rikan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:59 am

MikePDaTruth wrote:
scion of tea wrote:Yeah, 32X Doom was my first but SNES Doom was the one I played most, and it was pretty good. I seem to remember everyone being surprised that the SNES was even capable of handling Doom.

It handled it quite well too, from what I remember. Framerate was a little herky-jerky when compared to the PC version, but from screenshots you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference. I remember the game being TOUGH too, at least back then. I believe this was the first game where I experimented with a "God Mode" cheat, and if I remember correctly there was another cheat that gave you the BFG from the first level with infinite ammo. :twisted:

Good to know I wasn't the only one that played Doom on the 32X (sure felt like it back in those days). People say that console was a waste of time and money but I made the most of it and owned its best games.

Now...are we talking 2D or 3D shooters? If 2D, my favorite is Lightening Force on the Genesis (I believe it's also called Thunderforce IV outside of the US). In 3D, my favorite classic shooter is Duke Nukem 3D. I played the hell out of that game on my family's old PC, even finding the secret hidden levels. Hail to the King Baby!

Xbox Live: Pikan Rikan
Pikan Rikan
Gunsmith

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby vhr2121 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:11 pm

scion of tea wrote:
The other one that sticks in my mind is Probotector II.

Huh, quite interesting time back then, when Contra was still the Probotector until the Sega Genesis/Megadrive game (that was the last one with that name) in the European continent.

Anyway, My point is that the Contra series is my favorite. If we are talking about a SINGLE game, then I'd go with Contra III: The Alien Wars.

That one is the BEST on the Nintendo series (the NES ones are great, the DS one is... good, lol). Being able to hold TWO weapons, NEW weapons, since I'm not really a fan of the Spread Gun, and the old ones improved (YEAH FLAMETHROWER!) and a difficulty... Man, even in easy this game will not forgive you for doing any mistake!

And Gradius. Another great series. My favorite game is the very first one (arcade, NES, you take it, since they are almost the same). It was simple, it was fun, and it was hard! At least at later (*cough*LAST*cough*) levels

I'm currently playing Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros
View my Games
vhr2121
Smash Bros Keeper of Das Boot
Smash Bros Keeper of Das Boot

Games: 13
Discord: 0605

Postby NotABitNuRVouZ » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:28 am

I think the my most loved shooter growing up was Twin Darius X?? Is that right? It's the one for SNES that allowed two players shooting their way through mecha-fish dominated space territory.(Side scroller) Big bosses and you could choose which planet to hop to next after beating the one you played so there were multiple paths to take to the end.
NotABitNuRVouZ
Blacksmith

Highscores: 21
Main Platform: PS4

Postby Havoc2049 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:19 pm

For classic 2D shmup, I've always loved Raiden and Raiden II. For the FPS genre, it would be Wolfenstein 3D, Wolfenstein 3D: Spear of Destiny, Doom and Doom 2.
Havoc2049
Cattle Rustler

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby dunkaroo69 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:34 pm

Wolfenstein 3D. The granddaddy of all shooters. First shooter I ever played and it remains the best to this day.

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games: 45
Highscores: 1
Main Platform: XboxOne

Previous

Return to Retro Gaming