Login with a social network:

DOOM now offers gyro controls!

Discuss the Switch, Wii U, 3DS, and the Wii here!

DOOM now offers gyro controls!

Postby Merky Water » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Much to the surprise of many, when DOOM launched on the Nintendo Switch late last year, it didn't utilize much in the way of the console's option for motion controls. The developers allowed for a motion melee to be turned on should the user like it but nothing else.

To the surprise of all, three months after release, Bethesda has updated it's game to include motion aiming! The developers attribute this addition to players request.
Bethesda wrote:We’ve added Motion Aiming to DOOM, a much-requested control option that allows you to utilize the built-in gyroscope of the Joy-Con for more precise aiming. The option can be used in conjunction with traditional aiming using the controller’s analog stick for the perfect blend of immersion and accuracy.

This goes to show there are still developers out there that listen to their gamers. A novel idea in 2018.

Now, many developers have tried and most have failed at bringing on tight and precise motion control aiming to their games so I write this without knowing how Bethesda has faired. But I applaud their effort either way and encourage all developers to follow their lead.

source: Bethesda

If anyone is interested to join in, I'll be taking a fresh run at the multiplayer tonight with these new control options turned on to see how thunderous my applause will be. Seek me out on the GS Discord server.

This patch dropped last night. Have any gunslinger gotten the chance to utilize them yet? What did you think?

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, ARMS, DOOM, FAST rmx, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rocket League, Splatoon 2, Need for Speed: Most Wanted
View my Games
Merky Water
Nintendo Leader and Yoshi Champion

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 42
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (5)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 6083
Tagsmotion, Doom, Nintendo Switch, joycon

Re: DOOM now offers gyro controls!

Postby Merky Water » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Well Motion Control Fans, I have good news to report: Bethesda knows what they're doing in implementing gyro control option!

I played a bit of campaign and quite a few rounds of multiplayer and am happy to report my experience.

Things of note:
-Aim Assist is turned off as soon as Motion Aiming is turned on. I think just about anyone who is worth their salt in motion aiming would agree this is a wise move. I prefer Aim Assist off regardless of control scheme used but view it's removal as necessity when using motion. Aim Assist always seems counter productive when I'm pointing at what I want to shoot already.
-When gyro aiming control is enabled, the motion melee is disabled. I'm not sure why they did this as I did get quite a bit of satisfaction pulling off motion melees and find it odd the developers didn't keep one joycon for gyro aiming and motion on the other for melee. I suppose that would be difficult for those who have their joycons attached as well as those using the pro controller. If it's a choice between motion melee or motion aiming in a game such as DOOM, the choice is clear so I'm not too bothered in not having option of both.
-Motion Sensitivity is set to 50% at default when enabled. While I'd agree this is likely a good way to start if you are new to motion aiming, those of you who already have your feet wet in the control scheme will find it sluggish. I gradually raised mine to 70% and found that to be about what I was used to from my GE, CoD and MoH days. As I settle back in, I may even take the sensitivity higher.

Since these motions are strictly controlled by gyro and not sensor bar, you don't have to worry about actually pointing at the screen, adjusting the sensor bar you cat bumped, a loved one blocking the controller's line of sight or wasting time re-calibrating. Have the controller wherever you wish and just tilt at your leisure. This is especially good for those of you who were self-conscious about what your nosy neighbors thought you were up to back in the wiimote days. Since the joycons aren't wired together like the old nunchuk was, you can also sit more comfortably and not worry about a cord snagging and screwing up your shot. What an age we live in folks!

My thought is, for a short time more, those who have mastered this game with dual sticks ONLY will still have the upper hand as the gyro control crew gets acclimated. I'd wager, within a couple months, those who put the time into gyro will be topping the multiplayer lobbies same as back in the motion days of CoD. Those who will truly excel will be those that can harness the power of using gyro aiming in tandem with their right stick thumb action for fast and precise shooting and response when catching enemy fire.

As the update was all loaded up, this took DOOM from an OK game with nothing to engulf me for long periods of time to a whole new game. When I purchased DOOM at (Switch)launch a few months ago, I was kicking myself slightly for not waiting for a sale. Now, I find it worth every penny paid and rank it as the second best investment of my Switch library!(LoZ:BotW winning out) Who would have thought. Bravo Bethesda

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, ARMS, DOOM, FAST rmx, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rocket League, Splatoon 2, Need for Speed: Most Wanted
View my Games
Merky Water

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby McMurphy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Did you adjust the sensitivity for the horizontal and the vertical...or just the motion control bar?

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 68
Blog: View Blog (4)
Discord: 3674

Postby Merky Water » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:18 pm

I adjusted them all. The motion bar is what I adjusted since the update. Horizontal and Vertical I played with when the game was released to try and be somewhat competitive.

View my Games
Merky Water

Postby nineromega » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:54 pm

I've heard some good things about Doom on Switch. Is it worth picking up? I probably won't make use of the gyro controls, I'm not usually a fan of gyro.

I'm not usually a fan of over the top violence (which may be seen as odd as I am a soldier), so I have never really delved into the Doom franchise. But I feel the need to have a good FPS on my Switch
:australia: :codthumbsup: SW-5580-5753-0614
Currently playing: Monster Hunter: World PC, Madden 19 - PC

View my Games
nineromega
Cowpoke

Games: 8
Blog: View Blog (0)
Discord: 1656

Return to Nintendo