Login with a social network:

Nintendo Paid Online Service

Discuss the Switch, Wii U, 3DS, and the Wii here!

Re: Nintendo Paid Online Service

Postby dunkaroo69 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:29 am

Alright, so I hooked up my switch again today (just moved so everything is being hooked back up) and saw the online paid advertisement. You really can't share one online membership with others on the console? Like Xbox Gold or PS Plus, I can buy the membership and anyone who uses my console has access to the online portion. On Switch it appears I have to buy a family membership (and can only have seven people playing on it) in order for others using the console to access the online. Am I reading this correctly? In Canada, the price is around 45 or 46 bucks, which is a huge disappointment. Guess I won't be joining the online after September if this is really the case :(

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 45
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)
Main Platform: XboxOne
TagsNintendo, Switch Online, Paid service

Postby nineromega » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:51 pm

I honestly do not know what the case is with the family membership.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I was going to get it from the get go, but I will be on deployment from September thru to December, so hopefully if there are any issues they are ironed out before I get home.
:australia: :codthumbsup: SW-5580-5753-0614
Currently playing: Monster Hunter: World PC, Madden 19 - PC

View my Games
nineromega
Cowpoke

Games: 8
Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 1656

Postby McMurphy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Did the online programs for Sony and Microsoft change during this console cycle? I ask because I definitely was not able to share Gold memberships. I remember that Toezer was not able to join me in the local CO-op online play until we got her a membership too.
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 68
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Discord: 3674

Postby nineromega » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:09 pm

For me, it does not appear that Nintendo's online service has a huge difference between the Sony and Microsoft services. The link below has a fairly in depth comparison between the three services:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/2/15729236/nintendo-switch-online-comparison-playstation-plus-xbox-live-gold

I had a 360, probably my favourite modern console (N64 being all time fav) up until my Switch. Sold that for the PS4, as I wasn't convinced by Microsoft's Xbox One campaign. Then got rid of the PS4 for the Switch. So I have experienced each online service, bar Nintendo's until it launches. I don't play a lot of games online, so I am very happy with the pricing policy that Nintendo is rolling out.

View my Games
nineromega
Cowpoke

Postby dunkaroo69 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:11 pm

McMurphy wrote:Did the online programs for Sony and Microsoft change during this console cycle? I ask because I definitely was not able to share Gold memberships. I remember that Toezer was not able to join me in the local CO-op online play until we got her a membership too.

I'm able to share both PS+ and XB Gold on my consoles. Not sure why you weren't able to. Did you set your account as primary on your PS4? Settings > Account Management > Activate as Primary

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby Korchie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Waittt... When do I have to buy this?!
:somerandr: Image
Korchie
Quick Thumbs

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 4
Discord: 9370

Postby McMurphy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:30 pm

dunkaroo69 wrote:
McMurphy wrote:Did the online programs for Sony and Microsoft change during this console cycle? I ask because I definitely was not able to share Gold memberships. I remember that Toezer was not able to join me in the local CO-op online play until we got her a membership too.

I'm able to share both PS+ and XB Gold on my consoles. Not sure why you weren't able to. Did you set your account as primary on your PS4? Settings > Account Management > Activate as Primary

Ah, well, this is was during the Xbox360 days. Good to hear that they have changed things up.

Korchie, the paid online service begins in September this year. I don't believe an exact date has been announced. I still am disappointed that paying an online toll is now the standard for consoles. Imagine if Steam on your PC made you pay a fee to supposedly maintain their very robust network. But, I guess if we collectively didn't want this to end up on the Nintendo, we shouldn't have kept buying the competition and opting into their fees...

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games: 68
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Discord: 3674

Postby Korchie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:28 am

McMurphy wrote:
dunkaroo69 wrote:

Ah, well, this is was during the Xbox360 days. Good to hear that they have changed things up.

Korchie, the paid online service begins in September this year. I don't believe an exact date has been announced. I still am disappointed that paying an online toll is now the standard for consoles. Imagine if Steam on your PC made you pay a fee to supposedly maintain their very robust network. But, I guess if we collectively didn't want this to end up on the Nintendo, we shouldn't have kept buying the competition and opting into their fees...

I totally agree. It's sort of BS, but it's become the industry standard, and they KNOW people are going to have to buy it. Sucks for the consumers for sure :cry: . I feel a little taken advantage of.

But, you know I'm going to buy it anyway. ugh.
:somerandr: Image

I'm currently playing Overwatch, Fortnite, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
Korchie
Quick Thumbs

Games: 4
Discord: 9370

Postby nineromega » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Korchie wrote:
I totally agree. It's sort of BS, but it's become the industry standard, and they KNOW people are going to have to buy it. Sucks for the consumers for sure :cry: . I feel a little taken advantage of.

But, you know I'm going to buy it anyway. ugh.

Totally get where you are coming from Korchie. Paid online services have pretty much become the norm. Much like loot boxes (god dammit I hate those and will never pay real money for them). DLC is a bit hit and miss with me also, especially if it is an added extra. Don't even get me started on games shipping incomplete...

I will definitely end up buying into Nintendo's online service, not out of want, but more need. The only fact I am happy to do this is due the the price of it. When I had my PS4, I think I had PS+ for 6 months, then never renewed it for the remaining years I had the console.

View my Games
nineromega
Cowpoke

Postby dunkaroo69 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:56 pm

Paying for a service doesn't bother me. I've been doing it long enough now that I can always get things on sale and when I find a deal I stock up. Think I still have two or three more years of Xbox Gold left that I bought a few years ago. But Gold is a pretty decent online service. PS plus is okay. Steam might be a free hosting service (ie it stores games in its store), but I don't think you play any of the online games or voice chat on Steam's servers, though I could be wrong. Nintendo's network, at least what I've played on it, isn't all that impressive. No built-in party chat, no parties at all come to think of it, free games that I can only play for a month (with Gold I get 4 free games for as long as I have Gold) and just poor connections in general. Why should I pay for that?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not hating on Nintendo. I love these guys, even if they make some stupid choices. But paying for a lacklustre service (paying for the family pass, I might add - another huge deal breaker for me) just doesn't make me want to subscribe. Looks like I'll be playing more SP games on the Switch and leave the MP for my other consoles :( For shame, Ninty, for shame!

View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Nintendo