Login with a social network:

Nintendo Paid Online Service

Discuss the Switch, Wii U, 3DS, and the Wii here!

Nintendo Paid Online Service

Postby Merky Water » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:48 pm

With the end of the "free trial" period on most of Nintendo Switches Online features coming to a close, I'm anxious to know what my fellow Gunslingers think of it all. Is it a service you see yourself paying for? Are there more things you'd like to see or anything included of which you are not the target market?

(click to enlarge images)

source: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/ circa December 2017

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, ARMS, DOOM, FAST rmx, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rocket League, Splatoon 2, Need for Speed: Most Wanted
View my Games
Merky Water
Nintendo Leader and Yoshi Champion

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 42
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (5)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 6083
TagsNintendo, Switch Online, Paid service

Re: Nintendo Paid Online Service

Postby Merky Water » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Personally, I've gone from "absolutely not!" to "extremely hesitant"

Yes, the service is cheaper than most out there but then again, I always preferred the cost of operating online features be worked into the game rather than working them into the cost of the game AND hitting us with a monthly/yearly service fee.

No, I'm not impressed by the free trial of most of the features and see nothing to exceed Wii, 3DS nor U online services

I'm not overly impressed by their online app. Ever since Gunslingergaming obtained a Discord server, I feel I'm no longer the target market of such things by another app as Discord does their job so well

I'm content to wait and see what the vague features will be
      Perhaps the "free"(but paid for) games will be worth a montly charge. But, if so, why not just let us buy them outright?

Will I be able to utilize the "eShop Special Offers" to fully or partially offset the monthly/yearly fee? In sheer discounts, many gamers are able to rationalize the annual fee from Amazon Prime or bi-annual charge of BestBuy's Gamers Club Unlocked not to mention the points that can be turned into additional credits with the latter.

Unlike many Nintendo products, I'm confident I'll not be an early adopter of the paid service. I'll not rule it completely out but foresee a good evaluation period of playing onlooker of the FULL service. This is new territory for Nintendo and already ground I didn't wish for Microsoft nor Sony to enter. Since neither of those have won me over, Nintendo certainly has an uphill battle to win over this consumer.

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, ARMS, DOOM, FAST rmx, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rocket League, Splatoon 2, Need for Speed: Most Wanted
View my Games
Merky Water

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby dunkaroo69 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Paying for an online subscription sucks. I'll flat out admit that, and this comes from someone who pays for both PS+ and Xbox Live. But after a while, it just sort of became something that I'm used to. What pisses me off about Nintendo is that there really is nothing there that makes me even want it. Sure there's Splatoon and Mario Kart and the occasional other game, but do I really want to pay for a service for just two games? With Xbox and PS4 I have a ton of MP games and can somewhat (although begrudgingly) justify buying it. But with Nintendo, I really just don't know if it's worth it. I'll be like you, Merky, and wait and see what happens.

And the app... I honestly don't know who Nintendo was aiming this at. People that have lived under a rock for the last ten years? There are so many other FREE options out there, that this really is just poor marketing on Ninty's behalf.

It's funny, as I was doing some Christmas shopping today, I saw a few people looking at buying Splatoon 2 and MK Deluxe for their teenage sons for Christmas, kids that will no doubt want to play online. I wonder if they even know that they have to pay for it come this holiday season?

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Games: 45
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)
Main Platform: XboxOne

Postby McMurphy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm

For me, it will live or die by the promise of the classic games feature. If that is fun, the subscription will totally be worth it for me. Everything else doesn't warrant a fee in my opinion. I fundamentally don't agree that any console should charge an online fee, and Nintendo's level of online support certainly isn't going to change my mind. I doubt that the eshop deals will be all that fantastic, and the app...well, based on what they have already put out, why would anyone pay for it?

Again, the classic games feature intrigues me.

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 68
Blog: View Blog (4)
Discord: 3674

Postby nineromega » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Let it first be said, I am a huge Nintendo fan and I love the Switch.

I am most likely going to pay for the online service, if only for the fact it is cheap. If we were talking Playstation/XB Live pricings, no way. Not really sure what they were trying to achieve with the app, it seems like absolute garbage. But I guess time will tell how that all pans out.

Any idea on the actual launch date yet of the online service? I have a tendency to forget about it. Hah
:australia: :codthumbsup: SW-5580-5753-0614
Currently playing: Monster Hunter: World PC, Madden 19 - PC

View my Games
nineromega
Cowpoke

Games: 8
Blog: View Blog (0)
Discord: 1656

Postby Merky Water » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:16 am

They pushed the date back to September 2018.

So, you guys and gals have at least a couple more months to game with me (as the released features of the paid service still aren't swaying my wallet to open ...yet)

View my Games
Merky Water

Postby nineromega » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:37 pm

Hopefully they can spruce it up enough to bring you back into the fold! :|
:australia: :codthumbsup: SW-5580-5753-0614
Currently playing: Monster Hunter: World PC, Madden 19 - PC

View my Games
nineromega
Cowpoke

Games: 8
Discord: 1656

Postby LawnGnomer 6 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:49 am

I've been a long time xbox player, the subscription fee isn't anything new, but I would hope to see vast improvements in their service, xbox's multiplayer interface is one of the main reasons I like the system so well.
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” ~Terry Pratchett
LawnGnomer 6
Microsoft Leader
Microsoft Leader

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 12
Main Platform: XboxOne
Discord: 7190

Postby McMurphy » Sun May 13, 2018 5:57 pm

On May 7th, Nintendo revealed more details regarding their online paid service. Here is a direct link to their official page detailing the plan: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

For $20 a year, the plan includes typical online game features, cloud gave saves, the Nintendo Switch Online app, special offers, & the NES-Nintendo Switch Online feature. The NES feature will launch with the following 20 titles:

Ice Climber
The Legend of Zelda
Balloon Fight
Soccer
Tennis
Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.
Dr. Mario
Super Mario Bros. 3
Donkey Kong

Each of the games will now have online features. Additional titles will be added on a routine basis.

What do you the rest of you think?

I think the cloud game back-ups and the NES feature are the most interesting. Nintendo online support is currently not worth any price so these additional features need to be there. It does seem like folks who could care less about the other features will feel burned that they will need start paying for online gameplay that is still behind other consoles, even if Nintendo's price is a third of the competition.

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 68
Blog: View Blog (4)
Discord: 3674
TagsNintendo, Switch, online service, NES online

Postby Merky Water » Tue May 15, 2018 1:35 am

This is still one boat I'll happily be late for if I board at all.

Their 'free-trial' showcase has been lackluster and simply on par with the still functioning U online features. I'll gladly slide back to my U as they make their paid service worthwhile or drop the fee altogether.

View my Games
Merky Water

Next

Return to Nintendo