Login with a social network:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - First Impressions?

Discuss everything regarding the Switch & Wii U generation of Mario Kart 8 here!

Is MK8 Worth Rebuying on the Switch?

Yes, the additional features & the ability to take the game on the go makes it worth a repurchase.
100%
No, there just not enough extra in Deluxe to warrant another full game purchase.
No votes
N/A, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the first time I have purchased the MK8 title.
No votes

Total votes : 7

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - First Impressions?

Postby McMurphy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:38 pm

What are your first impressions of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

After getting the game and the chance to (literally) go for a test drive, let the rest of us know what you think of what Deluxe has to offer. I am also particularly interested in what the folks who have played MK8 thoroughly on the Wii U have to say. For those of you with an opinion yet a person of few words, a poll has also been attached to this topic.

I will post again after I have had a chance to explore a few more features of the game.

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 68
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674
Tagsmk8 deluxe, shellslingers, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe clan for adults, parents, older gamers, recruiting, first impressions

Re: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - First Impressions?

Postby Balki » Mon May 01, 2017 1:28 am

I LOVE it! I feel about as happy as some guy that just saw a double rainbow.

I have only been playing Global and Regional (mostly regional), just enjoying beating all the new people and building some VR. I haven’t even tried battle mode yet.

I don’t want to bash on the original MK8 on Wii U, but this is now so much more exciting with double items. There’s so much more quick decision making while racing. So many more stories to tell after races like, “I got 2 triple shrooms so that’s almost like a gold shroom,“ or, “I got a star AND a gold shroom from a double item box, got me from last to 3rd .“ It gets chaotic like MKWii but at least now you have a better chance to come back. I see at least 2 blues shells in a lot of races (not all) which can be a bit much. I’m not sure but I feel blue shells don’t lock onto first place like they used to (could be wrong, could be lag). I have seen a lot of lag. I really like that you can now drift sooner after getting hit so you can get back to full speed a little quicker than before. I think gliding feels a bit different, sort of like MK7 but I’m not totally sure.

I see a lot of people playing too. I never see this many people in my regional races (Australia/New Zealand).

Shame it can be tough joining friends. It’s like there’s a 3 second window to join if a player backs out of a full room (which most rooms are). So yeah @Korchie I tried to join you yesterday but couldn’t. I’m sad I missed this weeks frosty pints and playing this game for the first time with GS racers (Shellslingers) but it’s a bad time of year for that (daylight savings/work).

View my Games
Balki
Nintendo Leader
Nintendo Leader

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 2
Blog: View Blog (1)
Discord: 1534

Postby Korchie » Fri May 05, 2017 8:11 pm

I absolutely love it. I may be weird, but I really enjoy playing hand-held Switch style on the couch and chillin'.

As @Balki said, I really enjoy the double item boxes. It's a simple move to make an exciting change in the game.

I'm also enjoying Battles....which I've never said in my life...!
:somerandr: Image
Korchie
Quick Thumbs

Games: 4
Blog: View Blog (0)
Discord: 9370

Postby Fawfulthegreat64 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:59 am

Even if it was just base-MK8 + DLC, it's still worth it IMO, since it's the complete MK8 experience with added portability. The fact that there's actually new content makes it even better. My only gripe is one that carries over from MK8 Wii U, and that's the fact they're prioritizing guest characters like Link, Villager, etc over any potential characters from untapped parts of the Mario world (such as from the Paper Mario games, Mario & Luigi RPGs, the Wario series and Donkey Kong series, some of the earlier Mario Party games, even certain characters from the 3D Mario games)

If I could change one thing I'd add Fawful as he's tied with Dimentio as my favorite Mario character (and easier to make into a model than Dimentio). Otherwise this game is amazing and I love playing online. Already unlocked Gold Mario and all the gold parts as well. :D
Fawfulthegreat64
Green Horn

1 year of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe