Login with a social network:

Game of the Year? Game of the Decade??

A Nintendo Sub Section just for GS* creators of Super Maker Stages. Everyone is welcome to create a topic dedicated to all their creations so fellow 'slingers can support them! Please keep to one Maker topic for each person. Also, remember to provide a link to it on the Master List!

Game of the Year? Game of the Decade??

Postby ShaX » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:28 pm

I know it's still early and we've only played Super Mario Maker for a day and a half so far.. But is this the Game of the Year? Dare I ask, is this the game of the Decade?

I have to be perfectly honest... Before this game was released, I was excited, but not Super excited. I didn't think I would enjoy creating levels all that much.. I thought I would make some just for fun and enjoy playing other peoples levels more than anything.. But since I started building my own, I have been unable to stop.. I get so into my level design that I don't want to do anything else.

I think this says a lot because I am not a creative or artistic person by nature.. If you asked me to draw a picture on a piece of paper, I would need to look at an image of it and replicate it by constant visual analysis.

Aside from designing levels, you basically have 4 of the best Mario games of all time wrapped up into this one game.

Even though you don't have the game progression that you had in past Mario games (levels getting harder, worlds containing levels of similar design and progressive complexity) I think the 10 and 100 Mario challenges help to alleviate these concerns... It gives you a sense of "progression" even though the levels themselves are randomized.

This may just be the initial excitement of a new game that's got me feeling this way, but ultimately I do believe this game is a turning point for Nintendo and may even re-shape the standards of gaming.

View my Games
ShaX
MK8 Halloween Winner
MK8 Halloween Winner

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Games: 8
Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-
Discord: 0963

Re: Game of the Year? Game of the Decade??

Postby Crinklepouch » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:28 pm

It's pretty awesome

I need to brainstorm and come up with some good levels

I'm currently playing Player Unknown's Battlegrounds, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2
View my Games
Crinklepouch
SNES MK Time Trial Champion & Last COD:Reflex Survivor
SNES MK Time Trial Champion & Last COD:Reflex Survivor

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Games: 43
Blog: View Blog (8)
Discord: 9782

Postby McMurphy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:51 pm

I agree. Honestly, Super Mario Maker has sort of changed gaming for me. It taps into something that I wasn't even aware I was missing in my gaming experience....

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 68
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674

Postby Squiglet » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Dang it. I've been so consumed with MGS5 that I've completely forgotten about this game.

Man...My wife's concert tickets this month or this game...

Life choices!
Squiglet
Rancher

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby dunkaroo69 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:58 pm

I said this exact same thing earlier today: Super Mario Maker is my game of the year, and is in fact one of the greatest games I've played ever!!!

I've never felt this consumed by a game before. I even went out and got some graph paper so I could sketch level ideas out whenever I got a sudden surge of inspiration :D

And it's not just building levels that blows me away; it's also the incredible talent people have at making these and the awesome times I've had playing them. "Don't Touch Anything" still has me speechless as to how he managed to syncronize everything just perfectly. If you haven't played that level, definitely go check it out :D

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 45
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)
Main Platform: XboxOne

Postby MikeyFromSantee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:00 am

When I first played the very first demo I could, back last year during E3 at Best Buy when the game was first announced, I knew this game was going to be huge. After that, every single time it happened that a demo of it could be found in San Diego, whether it was at something big like Comic-Con or something small like a demo at a small Gamestop or out-of-the-way Walmart, I had to go check it out. Every single time I was asked what games I was interested in this year, Splatoon and Super Mario Maker were the only games I responded with (at least until Terraria briefly showed up as an option on Wii U this year but got pushed back to next year). And when everyone thought that Splatoon would be Game of the Year, secretly I was yearning for Super Mario Maker to make its appearance and challenge the notion that Splatoon was the only thing Nintendo was daring to be different and unique with. I was even more disappointed when the outlash against Nintendo's E3 2015 for the lack of any new "real" Metroid, Zelda or Mother 3 coverage took away from the ending of the E3 Direct, which was aimed specifically at making Super Mario Maker a big deal.

But Comic-Con came, and things slowly changed for the better. Super Mario Maker was well received there, and everyone that got the red Super Mario Maker Comic-Con t-shirts donned them proudly, me included of course. Splatoon is a really awesome game and it has been well received ever since it first released this year. But Splatoon is new, and the IP is new. Mario, on the other hand, has been around for generations and stands the test of time. Mario is the guy that dethroned Mickey Mouse as the most well known character of all time. (Who is Mickey Mouse again?) Mario is the guy in the brown overalls that I played as a kid that had that amazing side-scrolling adventure that was mind-blowing as far as video games were concerned back then, and is somehow also the same guy that kids play as 30 years later to push Bowser off of the race track today.

What I saw here in San Diego at the Walmart Super Mario Maker demo Saturday and at the NintenDiego Super Mario Maker meetup and tournament Sunday were people, lots of them, ages 6 months to 60 years old, all recognizing Mario, wanting to play Mario, wanting to create levels. Sharing memories of their past and present from all of Mario's games. Wanting DLC like slopes and mini-bosses and specific music tracks and more that were left out of the retail release. 40 year olds showing 4 year olds what Mario games looked like when they were kids. 4 year olds showing 40 year olds what cool creations they just made.

Super Mario Maker bridges the gap between the generations and allows us to share what we love about Mario games with the world. A Super Mario World, as it were. If it's not Game of the Year, then it's only because no one gave it a shot and played it.

Mike Ellis, a.k.a. MikeyFromSantee
San Diego, CA, USA
Pokémon Professor
Tournament Organizer | VG Judge | TCG Judge

I'm currently playing Pokemon Alpha, Pokemon Omega
View my Games
MikeyFromSantee
Featured Broadcaster
Featured Broadcaster

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 20
Blog: View Blog (3)
Discord: 8546

Postby forgotten247 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:28 pm

I don't get many thing on the Wii U, more of an Xbox One'er, but based on this thread I have Mario Maker downloading right now. Hope to see you in there. On Miiverse I'm forgotten247 if you want to track me down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
forgotten247
Stable Hand

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby Balki » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:00 pm

oh dear, I never got around to posting here. Even though I imagine some people's opinions may have changed since the games release, it is still one of my fav games of all time. The updates have been excellent. I watch a lot of game play videos on youtube, looking to rip off ideas. The gamexplain guys (playing mario maker) have grown on me, but Dashie is my fav mario maker player right now. :D
I have never created levels on anything before so, if one was to play my levels from the start to the most recent it would be a journey of seeing my creation skills(?) develop as you play through the levels. Though I would play my levels from most recently as they're much, much better. :)

View my Games
Balki
Nintendo Leader
Nintendo Leader

Games: 2
Blog: View Blog (1)
Discord: 1534

Return to Super Mario Maker