A new Photoshop challenger approaches.

The forum is here to give our members a chance to showcase their creativity, whether they write music, do graphic arts, or write literature!

A new Photoshop challenger approaches.

Postby dunkaroo69 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:46 pm

For those of you who, like me, love all things graphic design, there's a new app available that claims to be the best alternative to Photoshop. It's called Affinity Photo. Right now it's in beta stages and is free to download and test. I've given it a good run through, actually even used it for some client image editing today and was quite pleased with the results. For those of use here who are making sig banners, it might be worth checking out, especially if you don't want to fork over the monthly subscription for Photoshop. It is a Mac only app at the moment (sorry Windows users), but I do believe there are plans for Windows in the future. Affinity also has another app called Designer which is an Illustrator replacement, and later this year the will have Publisher, which is an InDesign/Quark replacement.

Again, Mac only at the moment, but for those running Apple machines, it's quite good. I still love Photoshop and Illustrator and all things Adobe. They've been good to me over the years and I'm so comfortable using their apps, it's like second nature. But for those looking for Adobe replacements, Affinity in my opinion is the closest you'll get.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, The Division, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Games: 40
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)
Main Platform: XboxOne

Re: A new Photoshop challenger approaches.

Postby CORtank693 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:09 am

I welcome any and all competition to Adobe products and their high priced subscription based setup. Anything that can help drive down the cost of such programs and drive innovation is a win in my book. Now if we could only get a true competitor to the office suite
CORtank693
Diablo Slinger

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby RLGORMORTIS » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:17 am

wow that trailer made it look magical
“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”
― Frank Sinatra

RLGORMORTIS
Quick Thumbs

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby GrouchyGran » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:29 am

Based on the trailer, the app looks really impressive. Too bad I can't test it as I don't have Apple computer. Image

View my Games
GrouchyGran
Microsoft Leader
Microsoft Leader

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Games: 11

Postby King Deschain » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:08 am

looks awesome. Waiting for PC version though. :)
King Deschain
Stable Hand

1 year of membership

Postby dunkaroo69 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:24 pm

I ended up buying it, but have yet to use it more than as something new to fool around with. As good as it does some things, it really fails in others. Lack of selection tools (color range selection is no where near as good as PS, although the inpainting brush is nice), really terrible displacement map filter, terrible RAW editor... Adobe will always be my go to software for all the work me and my studio do, but it would have been nice to have a tool for those who don't want to pay a subscription for their software. If you are just a casual user, it will do just about everything you would want it to do and then some, but when you start getting into the more advanced editing and painting and creation processes, you'll find there's just no PS substitute... yet!

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, The Division, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games: 40
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to GS Creative Corner