Login with a social network:

Curse of Osiris: early impressions?

Get ready for round two of the Bungie's juggernaut series in Destiny 2 by discussing the game with fellow GSers here!

Curse of Osiris: early impressions?

Postby PrivatePixel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Wrapped up the campaign early this morning on my Hunter; not sure I want to endure the trudge again on my Titan or Warlock. Playing through this campaign felt more like a chore than the one in the base game; I can't help but feel a sense of déjà vu with the Infinite Forest ("wasn't I just here five minutes ago?").

Didn't get a chance to play strikes, but I did manage a few Public Events. In the early going, it does feel as if earning Illuminated Engrams were easier than Bright Engrams. As new locations go, Mercury isn't bad (for me, I like the barren landscape). Did squeeze in a few Public Events (it was a YMMV situation, but I did get an Engram every time a Heroic was triggered, so not a bad night. Got a Jade Rabbit with my first Exotic, so no complaints :D ).

So far: didn't care much for the campaign, the Public Events were fun and rewarding (as long as they're Heroic). It's still #twotokensandablue otherwise.
PrivatePixel
Stable Hand

2 years of membership2 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: PS4

Re: Curse of Osiris: early impressions?

Postby The13thMonkey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:29 am

So let me start by saying I've enjoyed this dlc in general. The story, abeit a bit short, was fun and enjoyable. We tried the raid lair last night and I thought finally actual decent raid/endgame content. The puzzles and encounters felt well thought-out and had a sense of awe missing from the leviathan.

However... I feel like Bungie missed a lot of opportunities. My main gripe would be the lighthouse weapons that we "forge". This basically boils down to material grinding via planetary chests (flashbacks to D1 Yr1 running around searching for spinmetal), strikes, public events & PvP. This feels like a very artificial way of expanding their endgame content. Add to this the fact that there is a element of rng in this grind and you get a very tedious activity (if rngesus looks poorly on you a single weapon could take you 30+ public events to obtain). With 10 weapons to forged why not give us 10 mini-quests to do. Not only would this make the grind a lot less repetitive but would make getting a weapon more meaningful and memorable.

Speaking of repetitive - the infinite forest. A lot of this dlc see us going back through the IF several times over. I understand that each run through is supposed have some randomly generated sequence but it all much of muchness after the first few runs. The meta-game became running through the IF without killing any adds apart from the daemons.

Those are my main concerns. I'm liking some of the new weapons, I enjoyed the eater of worlds, and for what it's worth I enjoyed the campaign. I think there is potential for Bungie to do more with what's there too.
The13thMonkey
Butcher

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 1
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby Tom9Tom » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:00 pm

I actually found the campaign somewhat less annoying than the initial D2 into, but that's probably not too surprising. I'm still not really looking forward to completing it across all three classes, so it's probably the fact it seems much shorter so I don't have as much not to look forward to.

I've completed the campaign missions on my Hunter, about halfway through on my Warlock, and just started on my Titan. The missions are fun enough once, but three times is just annoying to have full access across my account.

I haven't done much more than that, but that's because work got a little nuttier than I appreciated so I didn't really have time to sit down and play until today.

Crucible is a bit crazy though with all of the Prometheus Lens running around. I did Call to Arms on my Titan and I swear PL was 90% (plus) of the kill feed (and yeah, I was guilty of it too -- if you can't beat 'em, join 'em). Not sure if I'll slog my way through with my Warlock and Hunter or not. Laser tag can be fun, but there are limits... (I was amused by whoever it was that decided to be contrary by running Coldheart instead)
Tom9Tom
Cattle Rustler

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby PrivatePixel » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:31 pm

Tom9Tom wrote:I've completed the campaign missions on my Hunter, about halfway through on my Warlock, and just started on my Titan. The missions are fun enough once, but three times is just annoying to have full access across my account.

The DLC campaign is definitely a chore, especially on three builds. Took care of my Hunter last week, and the Titan early this morning. Hoping to start and finish my Warlock today, while I can still take advantage of the Prometheus Lens. ;)

Crucible is a bit crazy though with all of the Prometheus Lens running around. I did Call to Arms on my Titan and I swear PL was 90% (plus) of the kill feed (and yeah, I was guilty of it too -- if you can't beat 'em, join 'em). Not sure if I'll slog my way through with my Warlock and Hunter or not. Laser tag can be fun, but there are limits... (I was amused by whoever it was that decided to be contrary by running Coldheart instead)

It was an absolute riot playing the Crucible, knowing that (practically) everyone's running the PL; I like to think of it as the great equalizer. :D Playing with the right people also helps. Ran it with a group of friends that don't take PvP matches too seriously, i.e. we don't get too upset when killed, but we also appreciate the small victories during each match. As someone who doesn't play much Crucible, having the PL in its current state* made things enjoyable (*I believe Bungie is going to nerf the PL tomorrow, during the weekly reset). There was an odd match where everyone ran auto rifles, which was a nice change of pace, but I won't be upset if Bungie left the PL's overpowered status as is. So few weapons in the game convey a sense of invincibility in the user, and the PL is that touch of insanity we didn't know we need, but will be missed after it's tweaked.
PrivatePixel
Stable Hand

2 years of membership2 years of membership

Main Platform: PS4

Return to Destiny 2