Login with a social network:

Xp throttling

Get ready for round two of the Bungie's juggernaut series in Destiny 2 by discussing the game with fellow GSers here!

Xp throttling

Postby LoweredMonk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:03 pm

Just wondering where everyone stood on the xp throttling? I haven't had the heart to play this week, not sure if I'm going to check out the update next week or not.
Never argue with an ignorant man. Knowledge is limited, while ignorance is not. ~Albert Coates

I'm currently playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Titanfall 2
View my Games
LoweredMonk
Stable Hand

1 year of membership

Games: 10
Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: Xp throttling

Postby Tom9Tom » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:56 am

Mostly it just reinforces my existing cynicism.

The designers and programmers may be about showing their skill by creating a game players enjoy, but the publisher is just in it for the money -- and the more money the better.
Tom9Tom
Cattle Rustler

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby McMurphy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:24 pm

I am very disappointed with Bungie. Regardless if it is fully corrected, they are doing so only because they got caught red-handed. The whole thing feels scummy.

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 68
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674

Postby Rikakiah » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:59 am

Tom9Tom wrote:Mostly it just reinforces my existing cynicism.

The designers and programmers may be about showing their skill by creating a game players enjoy, but the publisher is just in it for the money -- and the more money the better.

This seems to be the entire industry now. It's about engineering paths to rewards to keep players playing the same game longer and continue to bleed money into that same game. While the throttling isn't directly a microtransaction system, its intent seems to push that direction. "Play the game how we want you to (ie the latest content we pushed, raids, etc) or pay us more money."

Hopefully, the massive pushback with EA will be the start of users drawing a line and developers/publishers finally reining in their greed and focus more on quality products. For example, if they made more quality cosmetics (sparrows, etc included), more people would pay outright for those items and wouldn't be conned into loot crate schemes for those few "good" items mixed in with a trove of trash. Sure, they claim it all has the same "value", but if they sold each item individually on the "open market", I guarantee there would be a handful of items that spike and a vast majority wouldn't be touched (not just Destiny, but every game with a random loot box model).
Rikakiah
Gunsmith

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby PrivatePixel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:27 pm

While I'm upset at the revelation, I'll admit that my disappointment and infuriation are somewhat tempered, for reasons that I can't quite identify. I think part of it stems from the fact that I play so much, that there isn't anything I wish to purchase from the Eververse Trading Company with Silver; everything I want (so far), I've received through Bright Engrams (from playing), or the occasional use of Bright Dust (which have been awarded to me in-game from Bright Engrams). I wouldn't say that I fully oppose microtransactions, but I will not spend actual money for cosmetic items, and if I ever purchased Silver, I won't gamble any on Bright Engrams (which I consider the Destiny equivalent of loot boxes).
PrivatePixel
Stable Hand

2 years of membership2 years of membership

Main Platform: PS4

Return to Destiny 2