Login with a social network:

Destiny 2: Did they get it right? (Xbox one)

Get ready for round two of the Bungie's juggernaut series in Destiny 2 by discussing the game with fellow GSers here!

Destiny 2: Did they get it right? (Xbox one)

Postby Xoran343 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:55 am

I played a good chunk of vanilla destiny and it's subsequent DLC with some of you guys. I dropped out after the games flaws became too much to ignore, and the constant nerfing and patching degraded alot of the good content. The lack of story always being a huge negative in my mind. For these reasons I have been hesitant to jump feet first into another bungie black hole, if it wasn't done correctly. So...out of curiosity fellow gunslingers, what's the take/review of the new edition? Is it worth it? Did bungie fix the first games short comings for the 2nd round?
Xoran343
Stable Hand

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: Destiny 2: Did they get it right? (Xbox one)

Postby kewlbreeze024 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:29 pm

I may not be the most unbiased opinion, as I was always was able to overlook the shortcomings of vanilla Destiny, and was mostly impressed with the changes they made over the years. That being said, if the lack of story was a huge negative, than IMO they have created a much more cohesive, cinematic story that is worth the price of admission. However, different strokes for different folks, so while I'm very happy with D2, I also realize it's not for everyone. Metacritic currently has a score of 86 if that helps, so overall it's getting generally favorable reviews.

I'm currently playing Destiny 2
View my Games
kewlbreeze024
Dude

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Games: 18
Main Platform: PS4

Postby datawang » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 am

The campaign is much better. The premise and overarching plot is fairly easy to follow, but the narrative still suffers from similar problems - you're wondering why things are the way they are, what things are that go unexplained, etc. much like the first time around. There's still a fair degree of Bungie asking you to "just go with it" so to speak, but it feels better than the first time around. Hard to put a finger on why, but the story problems are easier to ignore because the experience is better.

If you're not a fan of constant patching and "nerfing" (balancing), then Destiny is not the game for you. They are 2/2 on rolling patches each week since launch for various reasons. In a dynamic MMO game with a heavy PvP element and new content/events happening often, patching is going to happen.
"We know who Troy is. He's that cheap guy."
XBL: vaphiz

View my Games
datawang
Cowboy

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Games: 3
Main Platform: XboxOne

Postby Fed Architect » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:59 am

Here is my quick take on it.

The Good:

- There is an actual, cohesive(for the most part) storyline to play through.

- The game looks and plays great, as should be expected.

- Outside of the story there are a lot more things to do and places to explore.

- It is easier to get good gear. (Could be a negative to some people)

The Bad:

- The story/campaign is short. Maybe 7-8 hours.

- The AI and especially the boss fights are extremely easy to beat.

- The game forces you to break from the story to do some minor grinding in order to level up your character before you can continue on to the next mission.

- Your character no longer talks during cut scenes. The Ghost does all the talking for your character which totally ruined the immersion for me.

- You get no sparrow until after the campaign is over, meaning you walk A LOT in the game.

The last two are probably more of an annoyance for me than it would be for most, but wanted to share. Also, this is just the quick points I wanted to get out there for you. So, if you liked the first one and really only needed a story to make it better, then I think you will like this one. As for the balancing and nerfing issues, well, it is too early to tell how that will play out.

If you have any specific questions, just let me know. I will do my best to answer them as I am about to run through the story a third time to get my Titan leveled up. :D
Xbox Live Fed Architect
PSN Fed_Architect
Steam: Fed_Architect
Twitter: @Fed_Architect
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/FedArchitect

View my Games
Fed Architect
Jesse James

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 8
Highscores: 1

Postby datawang » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:06 am

Fed Architect wrote:- You get no sparrow until after the campaign is over, meaning you walk A LOT in the game.

Since this was said, it bears mentioning that there is fast travel in the game now, represented by big arrow icons at a few places throughout each world, which are preferable to even sparrows. No more zoning into one starting point and walking/riding to the back of the maps...there's a closer point you can choose to zone in now.

They also have icons on the map depicting active public events, so you can see where one is, how close it is from starting or how long it's been going, and choose the closest travel point to it. Huge improvement over the first in this respect.
"We know who Troy is. He's that cheap guy."
XBL: vaphiz

View my Games
datawang
Cowboy

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Games: 3
Main Platform: XboxOne

Postby Fed Architect » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:39 am

datawang wrote:
Fed Architect wrote:- You get no sparrow until after the campaign is over, meaning you walk A LOT in the game.

Since this was said, it bears mentioning that there is fast travel in the game now, represented by big arrow icons at a few places throughout each world, which are preferable to even sparrows. No more zoning into one starting point and walking/riding to the back of the maps...there's a closer point you can choose to zone in now.

They also have icons on the map depicting active public events, so you can see where one is, how close it is from starting or how long it's been going, and choose the closest travel point to it. Huge improvement over the first in this respect.

Agree, the fast travel when not in a story mission is great addition. I do want to clarify that the all the walking I was talking about is when you are in a story mission. It is not a deal breaker, but it does feel like time filler with no purpose to it.

Once again, I do love the fast travel and the no longer needing to go to orbit before being able to travel to a new area/planet. Really great additions to the game itself.
Xbox Live Fed Architect
PSN Fed_Architect
Steam: Fed_Architect
Twitter: @Fed_Architect
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/FedArchitect

View my Games
Fed Architect
Jesse James

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 8
Highscores: 1

Postby txrocketman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:54 am

I'd say it really depends on what the short comings that really bothered you were. All in all for me it's largely the same for me. I've even seen some industry reviewers claim it's almost not quite a full on sequel but more a substantial refinement towards the original promise. I can see that in a way.

Some steps forward and some steps back. General world (patrol) feels more alive and plenty to just hop into, even for just short sessions. Less lost time with no need to go to orbit. Economy still overly complicated IMO with easily a half dozen currencies, most with only a single purpose (rep for a particular group). In general, loot flows pretty freely initially but as a result raid loot is totally broken. Raid is probably currently at the bottom of the barrel as far as return on investment for time/effort spent. Four v four only for all PvP, generally not a fan personally. No more bounties to pick up, bigger glimmer cap. Machine gun heavies are gone and the general change that moved certain special weapons (fusion, shotgun, sniper) to power (old heavy) slot only is one I'm lukewarm on. You do finally get maps and even ability to set waypoints for certain things. No crazy shuffle to max power.(light) before decoding engrams.

Other steps back like raid sections dropping keys that require you to go open a chest in a different part of the raid every week before reset. One time use shaders (if you care about that kinda thing, I don't). Also a bit harder, maybe not once you get over 280, to customize your soft stats like mobility, recovery, etc because it's tied to gear, many times with no options. Sub class customization options are much more limited into a couple of fixed branches with only a couple tweaks available. No more random gun perks, just a fairly limited gear modding feature.

I could go on, but again really depends on what were the biggest shortcomings for you. As others stated, definitely worth price of admission for me, but at current at least not projecting this will be my one and only go to game as much as Destiny 1 was.

I'm currently playing Destiny
View my Games
txrocketman
Jailer

Games: 2

Postby Rikakiah » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:07 am

Another note on the lack of sparrow... There are a couple times in the campaign that this is very annoying, but largely, there is chatter to keep you entertained. Also, if you do more than 1 character, you can vault a sparrow for them and they can pick it up and use it as soon as they get to the Farm the first time. Probably too late for most, and not even sure if it works, but if you do one of the promotionals for a sparrow (Virgin Fiber in the UK, poptarts in the US, etc), you may be able to collect that reward early as well.

As for the lack of guardian talking, if Failsafe was my ghost, I wouldn't mind her speaking for me all the time. Ghost has gotten a little...hipster? (for lack of a better word) for my taste. ie His "letters" to Cayde and Failsafe after events on Nessus "Dear Cayde and Failsafe, we beat the event and we are awesome!" etc...
Rikakiah
Gunsmith

Postby Rikakiah » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 am

Oh, and the one time use shaders bothers me greatly. Hopefully there will be some sort of option (paid, I'm sure) to create permanent versions, even on a single item basis (ie pay $1 for an item that turns 1 of your 5 Xenosilver shaders permanent).

I'm fine with set perks on gear. It would be nice if there was more gear, but there's a decent variety now and hopefully they'll just keep adding more. My issue is that exotics don't drop with any options. D1, pretty sure my MIDA had a choice between something and Extended Mag, for example. Now, every exotic is exactly the same, with no customization options. Even if those customization options are the same for everyone, it would still give a little variety for people's play styles.
Rikakiah
Gunsmith

Postby MadMacs77 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:51 pm

There's a lot of very good observations on Reddit regarding what D2 gets right and what it gets wrong, so I don't feel I can contribute much new, but I'll vent about things that bug me personally.

I hate the titan legendary armour. There's actually some rare pieces I like, but they cap out at 268. I'm not playing World of Warcraft; why are my pauldrons so damn huge?!

I really hoped a couple specific promises of Destiny would finally be fulfilled; "If you see it, you can go there", and our ships flying in and dropping us off when we join a fireteam in a public space. The latter is definitely a pipe dream, but the former shouldn't have been. Hitting my head on a ceiling that doesn't exist, or wandering in to an area which inexplicably kills me just for being in it really takes me out of the experience. I played WoW for years. We could FLY over an entire world, so what Bungie does is kind of BS.

Rep currencies don't make much sense if you think about it. If the only thing I can do with an EDZ token is spend it on rep with Devrim, then why don't we just skip a step and give me rep with Devrim for doing things in the EDZ?

I didn't think things would be so neatly wrapped up at the end of the campaign. They could have created a story arc that went on longer. The December expansion could have seen us invading The City and taking on Ghaul and liberating the Traveler. I really did not expect us to be in a shiny new tower at the end of this story, and I was kind of looking forward to spending some time being a plucky resistance guardian based out of the Farm (RIP FARM, 2017-2017).

I haven't done a Nightfall yet, and its because of the implementation of the timer system. I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't sound fun to me, just frustrating.
https://www.the100.io/groups/1317/

View my Games
MadMacs77
Cowboy

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Games: 7

Next

Return to Destiny 2