Login with a social network:

Switch Scratching Confirmed

Discuss the Switch, Wii U, 3DS, and the Wii here!

Switch Scratching Confirmed

Postby McMurphy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:54 pm

After reading online articles and seeing youtube videos in regards to the alleged scratching that occurs from docking the Switch screen into its dock, I can confirm that that this is indeed true from my personal experience.

Tonight, I noticed light scratching on the bottom corners of the screen. Granted, I am looking for it (and I don't think I would have noticed it until much later if I wasn't outright looking for it), but they are there on the black matting of the screen. The scratching is not impeding on the actual image area of the screen plate, but this is certainly a design flaw that Nintendo will need to address down the road.

I am not overtly concerned with the scratching (yet) because they are only noticeable when I am inspecting the screen under a lot of light, but I am now fully convinced that a screen protector is worth the money. What are the rest of you using?

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 68
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674
TagsNintendo, Switch, scratching, screen protectors

Re: Switch Scratching Confirmed

Postby Merky Water » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:23 am

I'm off to get myself a screen protector tomorrow(still more for my travel excursions than dock concerns) but will likely order one of these to stave off the problem. I was looking at one for cosmetic reasons anyway as I've not experienced any scratching myself. But better safe(and stylish) than sorry.

source: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/TinckoyMak ... ount#items

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, ARMS, DOOM, FAST rmx, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rocket League, Splatoon 2, Need for Speed: Most Wanted
View my Games
Merky Water
Nintendo Leader and Yoshi Champion

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 42
Blog: View Blog (5)
Discord: 6083

Postby dunkaroo69 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:33 am

That sucks. I just checked mine and couldn't find any scratches, however, mine is almost always in the dock and being played on the TV anyway, so I'm sure the more that it gets taken out the more prone it's going to be to scratching.

The Dock Cozies look pretty nice, even just as decoration :D Might have to get one, or find someone who can make one for me for free!

Apparently screen protectors might not be a good investment either. Saw a couple reddit posts stating that the temperature inside the dock when the console is in use is enough to actually melt the adhesive for the screen protector.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xlfxy/switch_melted_my_screen_protector/

Wish Ninty would just own up and make something to fix the problem. Not just use the cop out "It's the Nintendo users who are wrecking their consoles by being idiots! We're Nintendo; we never make mistakes."

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 45
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)
Main Platform: XboxOne

Postby Merky Water » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:28 am

From how that reddit thread reads, it sounds like the gamers who let the screen protector cure overnight(with system off/standby) did fine. I realize many want to just play but I think I'm going to apply mine with such strategy as leave it off now and apply it right before bed when the most it's doing is charging. Also ordering that pretty Classic NES switch sock. Will fit in on my gaming stand so well :D

While only semi-related, has anyone here bought or inquired to buy more Switch docks yet? Want to pick up another but not sure where you find such things other than straight from nintendo

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, ARMS, DOOM, FAST rmx, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rocket League, Splatoon 2, Need for Speed: Most Wanted
View my Games
Merky Water

Postby dunkaroo69 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Yeah, I'm ordering one of the Dock Pillow Cases when I get home. If nothing else, they just look really cool :D

I asked my EB Games about the extra dock (I want at least one more for the back bedroom and a spare for when I go to a relatives house for vacation) and they said they can't order any in. Doesn't even exist on their order form. Nor at Best Buy, Walmart or Toys R Us. So as it stands I think the only place you can get one is from Nintendo.

Which screen protector are you getting Merky? EB here only has one, but it's really cheap, so I'm guessing it's not that great :(

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Merky Water » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Well, I was about the get the one they were talking about working but with patient cure times on reddit as I saw it was on sale on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3ASPNV
Tough to not give that price a try.

But, then I saw ZAGG has finally come around to making a protector for the Switch so I won't bother with the one above. Anyone who's had a ZAGG product knows it's level of quality and (with all other products I've previously purchased of theirs at least) are guaranteed for life. So ZAGG it will be. Why risk anything else when the best is there.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/zagg-invisi ... Id=5778902

View my Games
Merky Water

Postby dunkaroo69 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Ordered a sock for my dock :D The maker of them said they're really backlogged right now but will hopefully have it out to me very soon. Not sure what that means, but I'll keep an eye on the mailbox :D

Best Buy here has never heard of Zagg, neither has EB Games, so I'll have to look online for one. Hopefully Amazon will get them.

View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gspsychedelic » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Also just in case if you guys don't know this, stickers are also apparently a no-go with this thing.
After a decade of using cheesy silicon sleeves on controllers etc I recently switched to a decal approach for protection (PS3, PS4, 3DS, Vita, GPD XD etc) however it seems my AliExpress order was a waste because those actually may peel the switch.

In short it seems Nintendo fucked up in the quality department here.

I'm currently playing GTA V, Overwatch, Titanfall 2
View my Games
gspsychedelic
Grave Digger

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Games: 26
Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: PC

Postby Crinklepouch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:27 pm

I bought those screen protectors that Merky linked and they are working really well for me!

I'm currently playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
Crinklepouch
SNES MK Time Trial Champion & Last COD:Reflex Survivor
SNES MK Time Trial Champion & Last COD:Reflex Survivor

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Games: 44
Blog: View Blog (8)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-
Discord: 9782

Postby Silus-Wyvern » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:28 am

Has anyone used a glass screen protector on their switch without issue?

Twitter: @silus_wyvern

View my Games
Silus-Wyvern
Featured Broadcaster
Featured Broadcaster

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 10
Blog: View Blog (0)
Discord: 2609

Return to Nintendo