The Game That Defines Nintendo For You

Do you recall all the wasted hours on the games and consoles of the past? Everything from the first Playstation and the Nintendo 64 to the NES and the Dreamcast is fair "game" here.

Please forgive the lame pun.

Re: The Game That Defines Nintendo For You

Postby McQueen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:56 pm

What gets me about these old video games is that even when I haven't played them in decades, I seem to instinctively know how to play through the game, hitting all the right blocks, finding every 1up, knowing every end boss's weakness. When my nephews (8 and 11) come over and play NES games on the virtual console, they pass the controller to me when they're stuck, and sometimes have more fun watching me than playing themselves. 'Woah! How did you do that?'

But the original Legend of Zelda was pretty epic. It was unlike anything I'd played to that point, probably led me in the direction of console RPGs like Final Fantasy (with Dragon Warrior bridging the gap), and was one of the most rewarding games I'd ever played, in part because it seemed so wide open and left you to figure out where to go and what to do, with lots of little tricks along the way (e.g., hidden passages).

And who can forget those strange, off-putting ads: 'Pea- pea- pea- peahats!'

What kind of a strange new game system was this?
Retired from gaming 2 March 2012.
McQueen
2012 GoldenEye Champion, GoldenEye Super Agent & 2011 TX Hold Em Champion
2012 GoldenEye Champion, GoldenEye Super Agent & 2011 TX Hold Em Champion

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby ZombiePringle » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:54 pm

The original Super Mario Brothers. Its what started it all and it was hands down the best game of the time and really made Nintendo what it is today.
ZombiePringle
Rancher

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby Cope » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Earthbound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cope
Undertaker

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby scion of tea » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:17 am

I think the game that defines Nintendo as a whole for me is Mario 3. But the game that defines the NES (the console I most strongly think of as being pure Nintendo) is probably Kirby's Adventure. That game was (and still is) ridiculously fun.
No one ever reviews Xbox Live indie games. Now I do: http://indieocean.wordpress.com/

scion of tea
Grave Digger

Postby MikePDaTruth » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:19 am

I think you could take this a few different ways...which game defines "old" Nintendo and "new" Nintendo.

I think that the argument could be made that the game which defines Nintendo today could be something like Wii Sports or Wii Fit. This is both a blessing and a curse. Nintendo's mantra today with the Wii is about converting the non-gamer, luring in the casuals, and getting people to play games that previous have never / would never pick up a controller. I like this because the strategy further drove gaming into a position where it can be considered a legitimate form of entertainment, right up there with books and movies. I'll always say, the more the merrier. The more people that join our hobby, the more money that can be made from the industry, meaning more and better games for everyone.

However, the drawback to that is that by putting so much focus on luring in the casuals, Nintendo alienated its hardcore fans that cut their teeth back in the NES and SNES days. Games like Donkey Kong Country Returns are brilliantly hardcore, and even something like New Super Mario Bros. Wii had some brutally tough levels in there (8-6 comes to mind). But for the most part games on Nintendo's system do feature a lot of hand holding and are pretty much devoid of challenge, at least the ones that I played. Hopefully Nintendo can win back the hardcore gamer with Wii U, but we'll see...any ways, I digress....

For me, the game that defines Nintendo for me is probably Super Mario World. The game was beautiful to look at, had some of the finest platforming and level design ever in a game, and encouraged the player to explore, oftentimes rewarding them for doing so. I can still remember the sense of excitement I got from discovering the Donut Secret Zone by accident! The closest thing to that today, at least in my opinion, would have to be Super Mario Galaxy 2. That game is simply Nintendo at its best and proves that when they are on their "A" game, there really is no one that can make better games than Nintendo. The game is gorgeous, the platforming is excellent, the controls tight, the level designs especially creative, fun, and imaginative, and it gets pretty challenging towards the end of the adventure. It is everything a Nintendo game should be, and definitely one of my top three favorite games ever.
[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/slammer74a/Slammers%20Banner%20Creations/MikePDaTruthSigBanner.png[/img]
MikePDaTruth
Rancher

Postby datawang » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:24 pm

Hard to respond with anyone but Mario. Whether it be the original SMB on the NES, SMW on the SNES, M64 on the N64, SMS on the Gamecube, or SMG on the Wii, our favorite plumber(s) has been THE guy(s) and his games have been amazing!
"We know who Troy is. He's that cheap guy."
XBL: vaphiz

View my Games
datawang
Cowboy

Games: 3
Main Platform: XboxOne

Postby Pikan Rikan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:28 am

While I won't disagree Mario's iconic status not only among Nintendo games but among video games in general...the game series that has kept me (and originally converted me) a Nintendo fan is Metroid.

I played the original time and time again exploring every nook and cranny in Zebes swearing to myself that I would eventually explore this massive, dark world. I took a break from Nintendo after the NES and owned Sega systems from the Genesis all the way to the Dreamcast. Somewhere in between I borrowed a SNES from a friend so that I could play Super Metroid and was hooked all over again. The final epic battle against Mother Brain made the game all worth the effort. In college, I even downloaded a SNES emulator to play the Super Metroid ROM and was able to play the game using only the keyboard.

When Metroid made a comeback in 2002, I in-turn made a comeback to Nintendo. I got the Gamecube so that I could play Metroid Prime and a Gameboy Advance so that I could play Metroid Fusion. Metroid Prime especially captivated me with it's incredible world and attention to detail. I enjoyed the series so much so that it was Metroid Prime 3 that encouraged me to get a Wii.

For me Metroid represents Nintendo's dark side. A serious game that isn't afraid to leave players alone in a mysterious world. While story has until recently been a minimal aspect of Metroid games, it did not lack in atmosphere. Everything from the alien worlds, to the music, to the graphics, to the many hidden secrets has helped create an entire universe. That's why Metroid is the game that defines Nintendo for me.

Xbox Live: Pikan Rikan
Pikan Rikan
Gunsmith

Postby jbake3 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:10 pm

While super mario brothers is definitely an icon i always liked super mario 2 better. I thought it was much more in depth and more fun.
jbake3
Trail Guide

Postby Merky Water » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:45 pm

The Zelda series certainly is it for me. If i had to pick just one? ...The Legend of Zelda - the game that started it all. Game had it all for it's day and still has playability now(when nostalgic). sure graphics and controls have improved over the years but never was it so dangerous to go alone.

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, ARMS, DOOM, FAST rmx, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rocket League, Splatoon 2, Need for Speed: Most Wanted
View my Games
Merky Water
Nintendo Leader and Yoshi Champion
Nintendo Leader and Yoshi Champion

Games: 39
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (5)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 6083

Postby vhr2121 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:26 pm

BobaFett86 wrote:
McQueen wrote:Super Mario 3!

THIS!!!!

YES! I agree!

Oh, I love this game SOOO Much!

I'm currently playing Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros
View my Games
vhr2121
Smash Bros Keeper of Das Boot
Smash Bros Keeper of Das Boot

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 13
Discord: 0605

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Gaming