Cheat codes & other discoveries

Do you recall all the wasted hours on the games and consoles of the past? Everything from the first Playstation and the Nintendo 64 to the NES and the Dreamcast is fair "game" here.

Please forgive the lame pun.

Cheat codes & other discoveries

Postby McQueen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:19 pm

I thought it would fun to hear about things others may have discovered in all those hours on various consoles in decades past.

Here's one that has always stood out to me:

When I was about 12 I was sitting around one morning making up 'continue' codes for Metal Gear on the NES, and one after another failed. Finally in desperation I tried the sentence 'take me to Metal Gear.' My cousin laughed, and there were still some spaces left, so I added 'please.'

Well, there were still two spaces left, so I added the only word I could think of: 'hi.'

The code then looks like this:

TAKEM ETOME
TALGE ARPLE
ASEHI

What did it do? It took me to the end of the game.

I've looked for it over the years and have asked others about it but no one else has ever seemed to have heard of it. I've never seen it listed with other codes online.

The clock is ticking down, with 1500 seconds to go. You have a machine gun and a rocket launcher, all cards but 2, 6, and 7, cigarettes, binoculars, B.B. suit, goggles, armor, light, compass, transmitter, and rations.

You begin in an empty room, and when you emerge in the next room, you can easily take out the four enemies. Go on to another empty room, then choose the correct elevator. If not, you'll end up on an endless ride and time will run out. Choose the right one, and you win the game.

The actual game play at this point is not worthwhile, because you don't really have to do anything, but for a 12 year old kid, figuring out the code was just awesome.
Retired from gaming 2 March 2012.
McQueen
2012 GoldenEye Champion, GoldenEye Super Agent & 2011 TX Hold Em Champion

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: Cheat codes & other discoveries

Postby McMurphy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:36 pm

My childhood memory on topic features Super Mario Bros. 3. Sure, everyone knew how to get the first warp whistle by pressing down on the white block until you dropped behind the background and opened a hidden Toad room. But I found out that you could drop behind the background on ANY white block throughout the entire game. I remember that blew my mind, so I spent countless hours trying to find other secrets. A couple being...

...Ways to defeat Koopa:

1.) The Hammer Brother suit. Fireballs didn't kill King Koopa like in the first Super Mario Bros., but the somewhat hard to find Hammer Brother suit would eliminate the tyrant immediately after a good throw.

2.) Depending on the route you take to get to Koopa in his final Castle, you fight him on a couple different difficulty levels. The harder and less traveled route featured less bricks making up the bridge that he eventually falls through, forcing the player to be more accurate. Use a P-Wing throughout the whole Koopa Castle and get to Koopa like you normally do. Immediately entering his chamber, fly up and over the far left wall, and continue flying left until the wall ends. If you drop down, you will sucked into the harder version of fighting Koopa. If, instead of dropping down, you fly BACK to the the normal version of Koopa, you will fight him but he will be unable to spit any fireballs at you. He will make the motions and everything, but nothing ever comes out.

Heh, I discovered some more, but I will, alas, await another turn down the road to post. :D

Ah, the pleasure of a misspent childhood....

[Edit to Add - I just remembered how cool it was to find out that, if you type "HELP ME" as a name in Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse on the NES, it gave you ten lives.]

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Games: 66
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674

Postby Angels13Wings » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:45 pm

I feel lame because I never made cool discoveries like you fellows.

PSN: Angels13Wings
Angels13Wings
Claim Jumper

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby Sgt Phantomizer » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:47 am

lol me neither, but this could be fun hearing what you guys have to add :P
Sgt Phantomizer
Grave Digger

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby Pikan Rikan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:05 am

I don't remember making any cool discoveries by myself but I do remember the days before the internet when urban legends about games were cool to believe.

I had a friend in middle school swear to me that Ermac was a hidden character in the original Mortal Kombat.

Xbox Live: Pikan Rikan
Pikan Rikan
Gunsmith

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby McMurphy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:19 am

Another discovery I remember as a kid was in the Wizard and Warriors II: Iron Sword put out on the NES.

It didn't have a save function like Legend of Zelda, so players would get a long string of random digits as passwords that they could punch in the next time they play to start back out on whatever stage, items, weapons, and health they were last time they played. You could access that ever updating password at any point by pressing "Start" (or maybe it was "Select"...). After writing down a dozen passwords, I started to notice that there was a pattern in what sections of the password was changing and which parts weren't.

I never got good enough to adjust my password to have better weapons or health, but I was able to skip a few stages. ;)

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Games: 66
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674

Postby McQueen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:18 am

Did anyone ever put their cartridges in halfway or on an angle, or pull them out and quickly put them back in while the power was still on?

My cousin and I did that on various systems (Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800, NES, Super Nintendo) and I don't remember how well it worked on each system, but I do remember it causing glitches that were sometimes fun, but often useless.

I have vague memories from the Atari days of invincible characters who could walk through walls (but not do much else). If I still had those old systems I'd be tempted to try it out for old time's sake.

(Note: I'll confess to using an emulator to find out what exactly my old Metal Gear code did--and to confirm that I wasn't crazy--but I wish I still had the old systems.)
Retired from gaming 2 March 2012.
McQueen

Postby mosinfan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:02 am

For Some Reason I've Always Remembered The Code For Metroid... Justin Bailey lol
mosinfan
Green Horn

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Return to Retro Gaming