The Forgotten Franchises

Do you recall all the wasted hours on the games and consoles of the past? Everything from the first Playstation and the Nintendo 64 to the NES and the Dreamcast is fair "game" here.

Please forgive the lame pun.

Re: The Forgotten Franchises

Postby dryboned » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:51 am

Snowboard Kids 1 & 2 (N64) - racing game very similar to Mario Kart (pickup items included), just on snowboards and going downhill. the level designs are pretty interesting since they had to make it so the characters are always going downhill to keep momentum and not get stuck. definitely my second favorite racing series, next to Mario Kart (of course). they made a sequel for the DS but unfortunately it sucked. they even messed up the characters by making them more "realistic," they ended up just making them ugly and not memorable and charming like the cartoony originals.

Micro Machines (various) - another great racing series. been so long since I've played one, I'm surprised there's not a single game of the series on Xbox Live Arcade. they have everything on there but this series is disappointingly absent.

for fans of Contra, you might wanna check out Hard Corps: Uprising on XBLA / PSN. game is based off the Contra series so very similar gameplay, weapons you pick up, multiple characters with different abilities, high difficulty (but still fun), etc. in the second mode you earn points/money to upgrade your weapons, health, lives, abilities like being able to reflect some bullets, being able to jump over and dodge obstacles, etc.

Crash Bandicoot 1 - 3 (PS1) - oh how I miss these 3 games. been so long since I've last played any of them. different from other platformers but lots of fun. never played the sequels since I never had a PS2 and not the best reviews anyway

Super Adventure Island (SNES) - loved this 2D platformer as a kid, pretty different from other platformers and way tougher. never could beat it until I tried the game out again recently for the first time in years and years. great music too. I never got to try the prequels, and the sequel sucked :(

Lost Vikings (SNES) - puzzle-platformer with original gameplay, you play as 3 vikings each level by switching between them, each one has his own unique ability needed to progress through the levels

Worms (various, main game on PC) - super underrated series. I'm a fan of the 2D games of the series, especially Worms Armageddon and Worms World Party. Armageddon is still being updated by its developers and new features are added now and then. the game is basically a 2D turn-based strategy game in which you control a team of worms and the objective of the main game mode is simply to kill the opposing team(s). its mainly a strategy and skill game, with the skill being in using the weapons, like for example aiming the bazooka or grenades to hit an opponent across the map, or using the jetpack to maneuver across obstacles before its limited fuel runs out, or using the ninja rope to quicky and smoothly get to any part of the map. its easy to learn how to use the weapons, but hard to master. this is one of those games that watching videos of good, high skill level matches gets you pumped and makes you want to play. even for a "slow," turn-based strategy game. also lots of gameplay features and options like lots of different game modes, being able to create your own modes, being able to create your own maps, adding custom sounds / sound bank to your characters, lots and lots of things that keep the game fresh even after a decade. nice, active, and helpful, friendly, welcoming community. for anyone interested in trying it out, the console versions are missing lots of features and stuff, and the newer games like the XBLA / PSN games are way different than Armageddon and are nothing compared to it. the worms move slow and not smoothly like Armageddon, the weapons don't aim and shoot the same way, which can be frustrating for people who spent years and years mastering the arcs and how the wind affects bullet/grenades, and the ninja rope is also not smooth, doesn't flow and feel really intuitive like Armageddon, and just overall nowhere near as fun to use. the PC version is the only complete version and the one still being updated and all that, and its only like $5 - 10 bucks and has light system requirements. I play it with no problems on my netbook with its stock processor, RAM, and video card (which sucks). you might wanna check out some youtube videos to get a taste of the awesomeness

Panel de Pon / Tetris Attack / Pokemon Puzzle League (various/SNES/N64) - not really anything like Tetris, better imo :) fast-paced head-to-head multiplayer puzzle game.

reminds me, I just found out they just released Mega Man X2 on the Virtual Console, they released MMX1 not too long ago after yearssss of people asking it to be released on there. they also recently released Strider, Mario Party 2, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Splatterhouse, Ghoul Patrol (for BobaFett :), with Zombies Ate My Neighbors also on there), PilotWings, California Games, Clay Fighter (another cool forgotten franchise), Bomberman Hero - another series I miss, this type of Bomberman game, the action-adventure type, not the multiplayer bombing showdown kind that's still being made pretty regularly. a lot of the games mentioned here are on there and on XBLA (not sure about PSN) like Shinobi, Vectorman, various Phantasy Star games, Super Turrican 1 & 2, Metal Slug 1-3, etc.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection also had a good variety of these games

Mega Drive/Genesis games (40 total)
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis/The Story of Thor
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention
Shining Force II: The Ancient Seal
Shining in the Darkness
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic 3D Flickies Island/Blast
Sonic Spinball
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

Unlockable extra games
Alien Syndrome (arcade)
Altered Beast (arcade)
Congo Bongo (arcade) (under original title "Tip Top" in some regions)
Fantasy Zone (arcade)
Golden Axe Warrior (Sega Master System)
Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)
Shinobi (arcade)
Space Harrier (arcade)
Zaxxon (arcade)
Been slinging shells since Super Mario Kart
dryboned
2011 Mario Kart Wii Champion
2011 Mario Kart Wii Champion

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Highscores: 3
Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby thejanman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:28 pm

Holy crap, forgot about shinobi series...great reminder. This is way off but anyone remember the sub zero game for N64?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
See my profile for my friend codes and gamer tag
thejanman
Dry Goods Merchant

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby Havoc2049 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:00 pm

I wish Namco would bring back the Rolling Thunder series. Rolling Thunder in the arcades and on the NES was a classic and the most popular, but Rolling Thunder 2 & 3 on the Genesis was even better.

Those classic 16-bit tunes...
Havoc2049
Cattle Rustler

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby dunkaroo69 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:14 pm

Bonk's Adventure from the Turbo Grafix 16. Though not really a franchise, I kinda wish they'd done more with it. Such a great game.

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, The Division, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Games: 40
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)
Main Platform: XboxOne

Previous

Return to Retro Gaming