Old School Tricks and Secrets

Do you recall all the wasted hours on the games and consoles of the past? Everything from the first Playstation and the Nintendo 64 to the NES and the Dreamcast is fair "game" here.

Please forgive the lame pun.

Old School Tricks and Secrets

Postby McMurphy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:07 am

Some of coolest tricks were hidden within the game classics of our childhood. What were your favorites?

I will get the ball rolling with a pretty famous one: -1 World from the original Super Mario Bros. In stage 1-2, players normally have the choice of either going into a sideways pipe that will bring them to stage 1-3, or they could jump on top of the wall to get access to a set of three warp pipes to 2-1, 3-1, and 4-1.

However, if a player stands on top of the sideways pipe to 1-3, breaks one of the ceiling blocks, and jumps while ducking, he/she could slide through the wall that divides that pipe and the three warp pipes. By doing so, the choices of those pipes are altered. -1 World is one of those choices. It is an inescapable under-water stage. I took some footage of this famous trick, which is posted below:

The only reason I took my own footage rather than posting a pre-existing video of it is because other videos don't seem to ever show you that a player has more than just the -1 World to pick from when doing that trick.

What were your favorite game tricks/secrets from childhood?

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Games: 66
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674

Re: Old School Tricks and Secrets

Postby Korchie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:27 pm

Oh wow.. how did I never know about that one?!

My parents used to do this crazy trick on, I believe world 2(?), where at the end of the level by the bricks to climb up there were ducks (...or um... flying turtles? I always called them "ducks" as a child! ..lets just say Koopas!) and you could slide down the bricks funny and get a whole bunch of 1-ups! ...I will have to see if I can find a video.....

[EDIT] ok this is it... it is World 3-1.... and this footage is from the SNES Super Mario All Stars Verison (so slightly better graphics.. woooooop)
:somerandr: Image

I'm currently playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
Korchie
Bounty Hunter

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Games: 2
Blog: View Blog (0)
Discord: 9370

Postby McMurphy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 pm

Yeah, I can't remember if they changed in the All Stars version, but, in the original NES version, your life count would turn into random symbols when you have collected enough of them and, if you logged more than 99 lives, your game would end the next time you die.

You can also do this secret in World 7. After beating the game, all the Goombas would turn into Beetles, so you can do that trick at several locations.

View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Griffon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:41 pm

McMurphy wrote:The only reason I took my own footage rather than posting a pre-existing video of it is because other videos don't seem to ever show you that a player has more than just the -1 World to pick from when doing that trick.

Balderdash, you just wanted to show off your 1337 m4r10 sk1llz
Griffon
Butcher

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby McMurphy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:56 pm

Griffon wrote:
McMurphy wrote:The only reason I took my own footage rather than posting a pre-existing video of it is because other videos don't seem to ever show you that a player has more than just the -1 World to pick from when doing that trick.

Balderdash, you just wanted to show off your 1337 m4r10 sk1llz

"Balderdash!?" I will have you know that....okay, you may have a point. :lol:

View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Retro Gaming