Contra (NES) - You Only Live Thrice

Do you recall all the wasted hours on the games and consoles of the past? Everything from the first Playstation and the Nintendo 64 to the NES and the Dreamcast is fair "game" here.

Please forgive the lame pun.

Contra (NES) - You Only Live Thrice

Postby McMurphy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:05 pm

I was watching the James (i.e.: Angry Nintendo Nerd) & Mike Mondays featuring them playing the original Contra game for the NES. Here is the video in question:

It brings back so many memories about this classic. I never outright owned the game as a kid, but I might as well have considering how much lawn mowing money went towards repeatedly renting it. The game was one of those games where you wanted to play it with friends, but you knew damn well that it was going to get a lot harder to beat with a second player on the screen.

How about the rest of you? Memories?

And, yes, I do need to end this with....Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start!

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Games: 63
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674

Birthday

Re: Contra (NES) - You Only Live Thrice

Postby thejanman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:48 am

Coop gaming didn't start till the SNES era. I remember getting the power rangers games and begged my bro to help me beat it. 6 months later, we owned it. Another great coop classic that we NEVER beat was gunstar heroes for the Sega genesis. Loved the variety of power ups and abilities. The weird sound effects threw you off though. "Hiahhheriawww!":lol::lol:

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
See my profile for my friend codes and gamer tag
thejanman
Dry Goods Merchant

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby Sosyc » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:51 am

thejanman wrote:Coop gaming didn't start till the SNES era.

Maybe for you! I on the other hand played tons of Gauntlet 1-2, Battletoads, Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble, RC pro Am, Jakyl. All of my early machines were dedicated to multiplayer because I didn't like gaming solo much unless it was a RPG or mario. :D
Image Image ImageImage
Sosyc
Bootlegger

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Merky Water » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:19 am

Sosyc wrote:
thejanman wrote:Coop gaming didn't start till the SNES era.

Maybe for you! I on the other hand played tons of Gauntlet 1-2, Battletoads, Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble, RC pro Am, Jakyl. All of my early machines were dedicated to multiplayer because I didn't like gaming solo much unless it was a RPG or mario. :D

Same here! In fact, even the most recent mario games are getting a little neglected as i keep waiting to play as my sister visits so... it's taking quite awhile to chip away at them. Especially since she doesn't just wanna play video games when she visits :roll: When will she learn we can catch up over the phone or interwebs! :lol:
My consoles were multiplayer focused as well. We'd stack up and que impatiently to play next. Then the N64 came around allowing for 4players! A godsend -the line moves faster! Then online multiplayer meaning pretty much no line. Of course we won't see each other as much... but as we aged that was occurring less and less anyhow.
Zelda's about the only title I want to play alone. Everything else, give me co-op or head2head please!
Contra... Bubble Bobble... Battletoads... takes me back. What good times!

edit: to the above video... great Brentalfloss reference- "R stands for Rarely helpful" *love it*

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, FAST rmx, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super BomberMan R, Mario Kart 8, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Splatoon
View my Games
Merky Water
Nintendo Leader and Yoshi Champion
Nintendo Leader and Yoshi Champion

Games: 36
Blog: View Blog (5)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 6083

Postby RLGORMORTIS » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:02 am

Oh no it started with sega we had the 4 player adapter since i had 2 brothers and an active gaming father. The game of choice was megabomber man.
“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”
― Frank Sinatra

RLGORMORTIS
Quick Thumbs

Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (5)

Return to Retro Gaming