Login with a social network:

Cancel search, lose rank and suspended

Join the Gunslingers as we raid through another Blizzard adventure...this time, FPS style! Loot drops optional.

Cancel search, lose rank and suspended

Postby woundjuice » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:22 pm

Has anyone else seen this? Got home from work and got back into Overwatch and started a search for competitive... Noticed no sound (happens occasionally from the "instant on" feature of the XB1) so I cancelled the search and restarted the game.... Magically suspended for 10 minutes and lost like 60 SR... WTF!? :?: :evil: :roll:

Meanwhile, if you actually manage to win a match after one of your teammates bails and leaves... You barely win jack shit... Blizzard is reminding me of why I haven't played a game of theirs before Overwatch since Warcraft 3...

View my Games
woundjuice
Green Horn

1 year of membership

Games: 12
Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-
TagsOverwatch, competitive, season 3, rank, suspended

Re: Cancel search, lose rank and suspended

Postby Mr. Fluffy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:57 pm

I haven't touched competitive mode, but have heard about this sort of thing a lot. I think this is the result of Blizzard trying too hard to get Overwatch accepted into the competitive E-sports scene. Heavy-handed punishment tactics are great to discourage rage quitters, but this then results in extreme punishment for the innocent player who happens to get disconnected randomly.

Gone are the days of old where one would just hop into a server, frag a few fools, get fragged by said fools, then go on with life. You might get a few ragers, but most of the time people are good sports. Every sessions I've had with Overwatch, I inevitably run into whiners and ragers who complain about how their teammates suck and how their greatness is being suppressed by the massive incompetence of everyone else in the match. Sure, I could just mute them, but it really dampens the mood to run into these types of players every single time I play.

Sorry to add to your rant, but I'm a little disappointed at the focus that Blizzard has taken with Overwatch. I think they should not neglect the casual scene. But, unfortunately, when you are targeting the ultra competitive scene, the byproducts of such a focus are heavy-handed punishments for disconnects and greater numbers of raging prima donnas.

With that said, it still is a fun game and I do still have fun with it. The above things just take away some of the enjoyment for me.

View my Games
Mr. Fluffy
Dry Goods Merchant

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 2
Highscores: 2

Postby woundjuice » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:08 am

Absolutely. Although I will say they appear to be making strides in the right direction for casual players as well with the addition of the new arcade modes and everything and making quick play now a more sandbox environment for players to get the competitive match experience without worrying about rank or pissing off other competitive players. Although there is still an alarming number of people popping into ranked matches with no clue what they are doing or team comps etc etc. They really need to add to the training mode something about different team compositions and a run down of who each hero is strong/weak against to help new players be more competitive.

I think the only thing otger than that they are really missing is reward/punishment mechanisms for INDIVIDUAL play... There is no reason someone should drop rank just because someone rage quits or because the rest of the team is doing their own things and not playing well or cooperating. You should be rewarded/punished on your own merits with an additional team performance reward/punishment bonus as well.

View my Games
woundjuice
Green Horn

1 year of membership

Games: 12

Postby Mr. Fluffy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:10 am

I'm with you on all accounts. I've been playing Arcade almost exclusively lately, mostly the 3v3 and 1v1 games.

And I agree that some reward/punishment mechanisms for individual play are sorely needed. I get this is a team-based game, but having individual mechanisms in place would improve the overall experience, I think. Certainly would make the game feel more rewarding to play even if you have a bad night of being stuck on teams that just can't come together for whatever reason. Would definitely make the solo queue experience a little bit better.

View my Games
Mr. Fluffy
Dry Goods Merchant

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 2
Highscores: 2

Postby squirrelbait » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:42 am

running into the same problem. get into a match and the team doesnt want to work together. get wiped. lose tier points. keep getting in teams that dont know what they are doing. is a viscous cycle and i think that if you do well on your own 10+ kills under 5 deaths lots of objective time and just overall tried your hardest to carry a team but couldnt pull it off then you shouldnt keep going down in rank because you cant seem to get into a match with people that work together adapt and win
squirrelbait
Green Horn

1 year of membership

Discord: 6747

Return to Overwatch