Login with a social network:

Newbie Tips?

Join the Gunslingers as we raid through another Blizzard adventure...this time, FPS style! Loot drops optional.

Newbie Tips?

Postby spamr » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi GS*

Just purchased Overwatch this weekend and have been having a blast since. I also joined GS* today and am excited to begin adding new friends on XB1!

I have been playing games like Counter Strike since 1.6, and Team Fortress for what feels like forever.

Any tips that can help speed up my progress?

If anyone wants to team up let me know and I'l add you!

- Joe
spamr
Green Horn

1 year of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: Newbie Tips?

Postby Mr. Fluffy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:59 pm

Hey welcome!

I think the best tip is to just play the game. Join a quick play, get destroyed, get better. But, I know this kind of advice isn't really that helpful. :lol:

I assume that you have the mechanics of playing a FPS down pretty well based on your history of playing CS and TF. I've heard Overwatch and TF are somewhat comparable, though since I've never played TF, I can't vouch for that.

With that said, a lot of what you work on depends on the characters you tend to play, since each character have very different roles and play styles. However, I think map awareness is crucial for Overwatch. Opening up a custom match with just you and a bot can allow you to wander the maps without major interruption so you can learn where the side streets are, hiding spots, etc. This can help you get the drop on unsuspecting enemies, know where enemies will try to sneak behind you, where to drop your turrets, etc.

Pick a few heroes that look interesting to you and practice their moves in the practice range. Try and learn a few different heroes with completely different roles and don't be afraid to switch mid-game if you're getting dominated. It might be that the enemy team composition is strong against one hero, but weak against another one. There are many guides online that can tell you who is strong or weak against whom.

Lastly, try not to run off on your own (unless you are a flanker, then you probably should run off on your own now and then). If you get to the choke point just as everyone on your team dies, don't be afraid to just fall back and wait for your team to respawn and regroup. Otherwise, what results in your team running in 1 or 2 at time, making it easy for the other team to just pick off you and your team without much hassle.

Those are some of the basics I can think of for now. They might sound too basic, but I think if you got your map awareness down, understand how to use a few different heroes, and pay attention to where your teammates are, you're probably in a better place than the average Joe.

Hope this helps.

By the way, I play on PC, so unfortunately can't team up with you on the XB1.

EDIT: I just noticed your name is Joe. My comment about the "average Joe" was made without realizing this. But I chuckled when I noticed, hence this edit. :lol:

View my Games
Mr. Fluffy
Dry Goods Merchant

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 2
Highscores: 2

Postby Dem » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:27 am

Mr. Fluffy has provided some good tips. So, I'll just addon to it. Disclaimer: I'm level 19, so if anyone corrects my tips, believe them. :)

Overwatch is definitely Blizzard's Team Fortress. The hero structure is very different, but otherwise the concept is the same. All the game modes in Team Fortress are in Overwatch.

Map familiarization and accommodating what the team needs from a hero standpoint are two things I think you should learn pretty early on. This is difficult when you're not familiar with all the heroes, but the best way to learn them is to go into a QuickPlay match. Practice Range is okay to learn and train skills, but doesn't provide much otherwise. Going against AI is a good way to learn the maps, but the AI is very dumb so it's not a good comparison to playing against real people. Don't expect the success from an AI game in a QP match.

What I do is try to find a hero that I like for every class - offensive, defensive, tank and support; so that I can change heroes based on what the game says is needed. At the same time, if you're defending ... it may be okay to not pick an offensive class. When the game says a player switched character, see who they switched from - they may have been the only tank or healer who is now offensive, so now you're team is more vulnerable.

Running off is a good and easy way to get killed. When you can, group with the team to make it more chaotic for the opposing team to kill you.

Listen to the voice clips from characters - you can get a headsup when someone is behind you, when you're getting healed (in addition to the visual) and when you've been given an overcharge.

Before you use your ultimate, look at how much time is left on the clock! If there's a minute left and you're defending; you can bet they're going to come all at once for one final push and use their ultimate. That's when you'll want to use yours. I can't count how many times I used my ultimate only to find out there's 30 seconds left and within 10 seconds, there's a huge push.

That's all I can think of for now. :)

Good luck!

View my Games
Dem
Green Horn

1 year of membership

Games: 11
Discord: 0576

Postby coolhandlewke » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:10 am

free trial of overwatch 9-9 thru 9-11. fellow noobs, join me out there.
coolhandlewke
Snake Oil Salesman

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Return to Overwatch