Login with a social network:

Thoughts on Overwatch competitive mode?

Join the Gunslingers as we raid through another Blizzard adventure...this time, FPS style! Loot drops optional.

Thoughts on Overwatch competitive mode?

Postby Mr. Fluffy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:21 am

What are your thoughts on the soon-to-be released ranked competitive mode? My limited understanding is that you play 10 placement matches and are assigned a skill/rank score from 0-100. You get placed with others with similar scores and if you win, you go up in rank and if you lose, you go down. People can see your skill score before each match and can also see who are solo queuing and who are grouped. One of the rewards are gold-colored versions of the characters' guns and maybe some extra sprays, frames, and stuff.

I'm a bit hesitant to jump right into this mode, mostly out of fear of toxic players who put their entire self-worth on winning/losing matches in Overwatch. You already get a bunch of wanna-be pros who's more than ready to lay the insults on their teammates when losing and gloat incessantly when winning. I can only imagine how they'll become when their rank is on the line. And also, because people can see your skill score before the match, I worry that if you join as the "lowest skilled" player, how will the others treat you? Skill discrimination and being bullied into playing certain classes seems like a real possibility in this case.

But, there's still a lot of cool people who take the game seriously, but are able to win and lose graciously. Competitive mode might bring out some intense, rewarding matches (win or lose) and be a ton of fun. An alternative thought, the "try-hards" and toxic players might get drawn to competitive, leaving Quick Play a nice play for friendlies and casual games, maybe making it an even nicer place to hangout.

So, what do you think? Will you jump right into competitive mode? Hang back and see? I personally will probably not solo queue into competitive mode, and only play if I can group with other friends like the awesome folks here at GS, at least for the beginning.

So, thoughts?

View my Games
Mr. Fluffy
Dry Goods Merchant

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 2
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: Thoughts on Overwatch competitive mode?

Postby Fed Architect » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:57 am

I really don't see myself in the competitive mode, just for the reasons you stated. I like good, competitive matches just as much as anyone, but I am willing to bet that a lot of the people that do this mode will not be able to handle losing and it will be a very toxic place. I might go in if a group of GS (at least 5 of us) want to give it a go, but that is about it. I like this game too much to let a single game mode that I don't have to play, ruin it for me.

My thoughts. :D
Xbox Live Fed Architect
PSN Fed_Architect
Steam: Fed_Architect
Twitter: @Fed_Architect
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/FedArchitect

View my Games
Fed Architect
Jesse James

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 8
Highscores: 1

Postby Mr. Fluffy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:24 am

Yeah, I'm on the same page as you Fed. If we're lucky, competitive mode will siphon away all the hyper-competitive folks and leave Quick Play a nicer, friendlier place. Though luckily, the game community is mostly good (or just quiet), so it hasn't really been that bad so far.

View my Games
Mr. Fluffy
Dry Goods Merchant

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 2
Highscores: 2

Postby rsantos19 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:27 pm

100% correct on the toxic players part. Some mutterings I've seen:

"you guys are so bad just leave"
"garbage tracer gonna lose us the match"
"of course i get stuck with all the losers"
...etc. I should start taking screenshots.

That said, I jumped right into competitive mode. I'm not about to let some ornery 16 year old define how I play my game - I really don't care. It's also not as bad as I thought it would be, definitely not as bad as warzones in WoW or DOTA2...maybe because you don't really have time to type during an FPS match.

Besides, the best way to get better is to see/play against better players...where they put their turrets/sentries, where they climb walls and attack from, etc.
rsantos19
Green Horn

2 years of membership2 years of membership

Postby sleepallday » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:38 pm

I'll be happy to play in a group, but I wouldn't play it with randoms. Since people never use mics it seems to me trying to play ranked would be frustrating as hell, especially against teams. I really, really hope they ban hero stacking as well.
sleepallday
Stable Hand

Postby gspsychedelic » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:59 pm

sleepallday wrote:I'll be happy to play in a group, but I wouldn't play it with randoms. Since people never use mics it seems to me trying to play ranked would be frustrating as hell, especially against teams. I really, really hope they ban hero stacking as well.

That's true, competitive without mics makes no sense.
For the most part I've been playing solo as I see some peeps online but already full party or whatever, and it does bother me to get stuck with terrible players sometimes. On competitive I don't think I'd handle it unless it was 6 friends just laughing at it.

I'm currently playing GTA V, Overwatch, Titanfall 2
View my Games
gspsychedelic
Grave Digger

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Games: 26
Main Platform: PC

Postby sleepallday » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:53 am

I noticed that when there's been a team of 6 there's usually 2 or 3 members who haven't been able to join, but we had 2 teams of GS in a private match last night which was a lot of fun, so it looks like more GS are picking it up. Hopefully it's going to be a lot easier for us all to get into teams
sleepallday
Stable Hand

Postby Gator993 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:35 am

The custom 6v6 games with other GS members was the most fun I have had playing this game which is fun in general. Would be nice to have a weekly or bi weekly game night.

Also probably would need to use discord for everyone to communicate though it was fun for the first game knowing the other team didn't know the custom rules haha.
Gator993
Green Horn

Games: 1

Postby gspsychedelic » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:10 am

So I jumped in with a couple gunslingers and some non-gs fellas into a full team of 6 to do competitive.
It was reckless. We got destroyed. 3 matches lost in a row although we managed to win a round in one of the matches.
You can feel people in competitive are seriously not playing around.
I assume in my case after the first 10 matches I will be in the bronze or coal tier with the worst players.

But well, that's to be expected. Competitive is supposed to have people who care about K/Ds and leaderboards so they won't just jump in to screw around.

I'm currently playing GTA V, Overwatch, Titanfall 2
View my Games
gspsychedelic
Grave Digger

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Games: 26
Main Platform: PC

Postby Darkenscout » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:13 am

Morning,

So I've just joined Gunslingers having been looking for somewhere off the back of just starting Competative Mode so I thought I'd chuck my thoughts in.

I've played 7/10 of my ranking games so far. Lost 2, won 5. The one thing that I've enjoyed about Competitive mode is the fact people are taking it a little more seriously and by that I mean actually doing the objectives. In casual play there seems to be a lot of people ramboing off to get kills rather than moving the payload or capturing the point!

Disclaimer: I turn off in game chat! So I've not experienced any of the abuse you guys talk about! Which is fine with me!

I think with a team of 6, all from GS, it's actually be a bit more enjoyable. True I've not managed to experience Freeplay more than Solo so maybe I don't have anything to compare to.

Either way I'm going to keep cracking on with it. If anyone is UK based and playing on XBone and fancies it give me a shout!
Darkenscout
Green Horn

Next

Return to Overwatch