Login with a social network:

Steam Compatible Hardware

Forget the gaming consoles. Your personal computer has always been where you spend your time. Talk about your PC ventures here.

Steam Compatible Hardware

Postby NinjaCow » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Hey GS,

I bought a HP ENVY laptop, 3 years ago. It was advertised as "high-end"

2.5Ghz Intel i7 cpu
GeForce 850m gpu
16GB ram
1GB dedicated graphics
1 terabyte hard drive

I mostly play turn-based games on Steam, and no problems there.
First Person Shooter's can only be played in "Single Player Campaign"
as multiplayer.. is laggy and unplayable.

With the lack, of modern military shooters, on console
I really want to try Steam on a 50in HDTV.

(Question #1)I've hooked it up with a HDMI chord and noticed lag.
So.. I'm worried that a "Steam Linx" would have the same problem.

(Question #2) How well does a Microsoft X1 controller work with
the steam client, on a laptop PC?

Thanks
Ninja Cow
NinjaCow
Cowboy

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: Steam Compatible Hardware

Postby dunkaroo69 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:31 am

Steam Link really does nothing to help your hardware. All it is is a way to stream what's happening on your computer to a TV in a different room. If you can plug your computer directly in to your tv then there's no point in using the Steam Link. However, if you have your pc at one end of the house and your big screen at the other end and don't want to run a mile long HDMI cord from it, then the Steam Link is a great solution for this. But again, there's nothing the Link can do about your hardware. It's just a streaming gizmo that streams whatever is playing on your computer.

As far as I know the X1 controller should work pretty flawlessly with Steam on a laptop. Don't think it makes a difference going from Desktop PC to laptop, but I could be wrong. Keep in mind that some games don't work natively with a controller, so you may need to download something like xpadder to map keyboard and mouse controls to your controller.

There is also the steam controller which works incredibly well with every game (except Dead By Daylight; only game I've found in my entire steam library that does not work with it). If you want to play games with a controller on PC and don't want to download and tinker with things like xpadder, then it might be worth looking into. It also works with non-steam games (I've personally played Battlefield, Division, World of Warcraft and a slew of others from different clients). Takes some getting used to, but I find for controller gaming on PC, the Steam Controller is light years ahead of a regular Xbox Controller.

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Games: 45
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)
Main Platform: XboxOne

Re: Steam Compatible Hardware

Postby Netivity » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:53 pm

As Dunkaroo said, Steam link does not increase performance in any way. It only streams what you are playing on your computer to your TV. Generally useful if you like to game on the lounge and have a wireless KB and mouse combo.

As for the X1 controller, I assume you mean an Xbox One controller.

Windows 10 supports plug and play of Xbox 1 controllers that are connected with the micro USB port. You will have to do some tinkering with controls, and it's pretty much the exact steps that Drunkaroo has listed.

Some poor quality HDMI cables can be rated differently than some of the medium-higher end ones and you can notice flickering and quality reduction in them.

If you are able to play single player shooter games fine, and multiplayer becomes unplayable, it might also be a connectivity issue where ping is too high etc.

I don't see a problem with the specifications if you're not playing current AAA titles on high-ultra.

Cheers.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Netivity
Green Horn

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: PC

Return to PC Gaming