Login with a social network:

Vita questions

Place all your discussions in regards to this portable gaming and media playing system here.

Vita questions

Postby Karasu Katagi » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Just picked up a vita for a few minutes in gamestop today and...wow. I had 2 rounds of battle royale all stars and cannot believe handheld gaming has come this far. I then checked out the 3DS for competition and...wow. what the hell happened to the game boy that I grew up with and loved so dearly? The 3DS may have the games that I'm nostalgic for, but the system feels overly bulky, looks odd, and seems to have pushed for the casual market more than I'd prefer. While there is nothing wrong with this, it just doesn't seem like the same home to the games I want to play again (oracle of seasons, pokemon red, advance wars, golden sun).

So, as I begin to bid the Nintendo handheld adieu in favor of the Vita (as well as having traded in my wii and 360 only to arrive at the PS3), I have a few questions about the vita.

1) How does the cross-play/cross-purchase handle? I have a fair understanding of the concept, but does it deliver? If you trade in the physical copy of the game to you get to keep the cross-buy copy? If so, is it more beneficial to purchase cross-buy games on the PS3 or the Vita?

2) How essential is the memory? I only see 4/8/16 GB so most of the data must not be on the console. It doesn't help that the memory is fairly expensive. If I upgrade from 4->8/16 later, is there a data transfer?

3) Black or White version? I haven't seen any other colors, but am still torn...the only way I know to get the white is with the AC Liberation bundle, and while the bundle is a good deal I haven't seen the white one in person...I'm not opposed to color, I just hope it doesn't look worse in person than it does on the box like some other colors can.

edit: I read that the functions capable of using the 3G data are quite limited, thoughts?
Karasu Katagi
Rancher

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: Vita questions

Postby Wikilectual » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:23 pm

For the cross play element I can only speak for wipeout, which get pretty hectic, and that was flawless. With that much going on, on the screen I cant imagine the others being anywhere near bad enough to be unplayable; let alone bad. (I have a wifi vita)

For memory it depends on how many games you wish to download from the psn store. The retail vita games are hefty in size and if you get a 4gb card its used up in maybe 1 or 2 games. I have an 8 gb card and that's been perfect for me. I have 4 psn games and downloadable content with plenty of room left. I do not plan to ever buy a retail game from the psn store.
You can perform a transfer data, you have to connect your vita to a ps3 or pc, back up the data, put in the new memory card, then restore the data to the new card.

I've always liked the black, or maybe its I just don't like white because if I got a DS; purple would be the color I'd get :D

I'm loving my vita, I'm still blown away at the graphics and this is the beginning of its life cycle so they're only going to get better
Hope this helps!
Bring the noise like an onomonopia!
What if oxygen is actually poisonous, and just takes 75-100 years to kill us?!?
Wikilectual
Bandit

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby Karasu Katagi » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:09 pm

got my white vita this past friday...

I have these (so far):
Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation
Final Fantasy Origins (loving it)

I'm getting these (eventually):
PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale
Final Fantasy (series/tactics/duodecim)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (series)

I'm thinking about these:
Monster Hunter (freedom 3/unite?)

who want's to help steer me in the direction of good vita games?
Karasu Katagi
Rancher

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby gmeful2 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:41 pm

I've seen the white one, its cool I suppose. All white with grey trim. I just think It would be distracting. Prefer the black.

Just picked up Black Ops for the Vita, read a lot of bad reviews, not real sure why. Graphics are cool and all, it feels just like playing on the ps3. The ai is a little dumb, but multiplayer is where its at anyhow. Its only 4 on 4, but the maps are small so its good and hectic. And Nuketown is on it for crying out loud.

Another game I would suggest is the new Uncharted: Golden Abyss. VERY cool game.

And yes, when you upgrade to a bigger memory card, you can copy and paste to the bigger card. It uses a utility that installs when you plug in your Vita to a pc.
gmeful2
Green Horn

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Vita questions

Postby Grimmy_Reaps » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 pm

You can crossplay any and all ps1 games. They say eventually all games will be crossplay. Bit I love it. I been playing final fantasy 8 on the vita. It's awesome. But the vita games are god too and they integrated the touchscreen well. I recommend it. I got a white one and loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS3: Fatboi_The_Great
Xbox: Grimmy Reaps
Grimmy_Reaps
Dry Goods Merchant

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Vita questions

Postby Grimmy_Reaps » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 pm

And they have a 32 gig aswell. And they make it easy to transfer saves from ps3, card to card, and PC.

Grimmy_Reaps
Dry Goods Merchant

Postby Karasu Katagi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:29 am

i picked up a 32GB card the other day...

I also acquired:
PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale
Persona 4 Golden
Metal Gear Solid
Chrono Trigger

This is going to take me a while to get through...loving eveything about the vita except for the battery life and the glare...all and all very happy
Karasu Katagi
Rancher

Vita questions

Postby Grimmy_Reaps » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:56 am

I've been hearing people talk that they are only getting 5 hours of battery life but. I've gotten more than that everytime. Did they improve the life on the white one?

But yea the glare pisses me off. And how is chrono trigger?

Grimmy_Reaps
Dry Goods Merchant

Postby Karasu Katagi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:22 pm

Grimmy_Reaps wrote:I've been hearing people talk that they are only getting 5 hours of battery life but. I've gotten more than that everytime. Did they improve the life on the white one?

But yea the glare pisses me off. And how is chrono trigger?

what little of chrono trigger I have played so far is pretty good...it must have some of the load times hard coded though, since there is a slight delay in loading battles that the vita is more than capable of handling on it's own.

I get about 4.5 hours, though my screen brightness is still at default and volume is fairly high. I also play persona 4 and all stars mostly (which is fairly draining), so I'm sure I could squeeze more out of it if I tried.
Karasu Katagi
Rancher

Postby Wikilectual » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Just just added black ops (effing awesome) and sonic all star racing transformed to my vita Library anyone got em?
Bring the noise like an onomonopia!
What if oxygen is actually poisonous, and just takes 75-100 years to kill us?!?
Wikilectual
Bandit

Return to PSP Vita