Login with a social network:

PS4 getting external HDD support

Come and share your views with other members about the PS4, PS3, and the Vita here.

PS4 getting external HDD support

Postby dunkaroo69 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:43 am

PS4 is about to get a big update that brings with it at last external hard drive support. Hooray!!!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/03/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-features-detailed/

I'm looking forward to the new custom wallpaper as well. Xbox already has it, so it's nice to see Sony getting it too.

Also, if you're a PS4 Pro owner you'll be getting a new "boost mode" which is aimed at making older ps4 games that weren't patched for the Pro run with a smoother framerate and cut down on load times. Really looking forward to this too. I'm hoping at the very least that Dark Souls 3 will run a little smoother on my Pro since currently it still is a bit choppy in places.

https://www.cnet.com/news/ps4-pro-boost-mode-usb-3-8tb-storage/

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 45
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)
Main Platform: XboxOne

Re: PS4 getting external HDD support

Postby Silus-Wyvern » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Honestly I feel the external HDD support has been a long time coming and i'm very happy to see sony finally making use of this. my pro my have 1TB but when I decide to put new drives in my rig I can buy an external shell and re-purpose the old TB's for more PS storage :) allowing me to be even more lazy and not be forced to delete things.. also a good move with ISP's like comcast putting data caps on everyone... and so now the idea of redownloading my 40+GB game/s has become a greater hassel.

Far as the PRO boost mode.. well that is just icing on the cake for my getting a pro when i rejoined PS

Twitter: @silus_wyvern

View my Games
Silus-Wyvern
Featured Broadcaster
Featured Broadcaster

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 10
Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 2609

Postby bdnyy23 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:25 am

Has anyone received the update as part of the Beta program. I am wondering how well it has been working. I have been considering picking up a SSD drive, but have not been able to justify the cost to capacity issue. Also with the SATA II connection on the PS4 original, not sure it was really worth it. Since I have a 2GB drive in the PS4 currently, and have about 600GB of space available - I was looking into adding an external SSD Drive (figure that may even be better as USB3.0 should be faster than the SATA II connection, at least from what I have read). Not sure what everyone's thoughts are on this topic.

I can currently get a Crucial 525 GB SSD for about $110, an external 3.0 Enclosure for about $10, so for about $130 with tax and shipping, I can add a 525GB SSD to the PS4 and put the games that I play most on that drive, but I am trying to convince myself that it is actually worth doing. Any input is welcome - I am sure that you all have a lot more knowledge on this subject then I do. Thanks

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, Destiny 2
View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 14
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby bdnyy23 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:19 am

Well I took the plunge, went with the Samsung T3 500GB External Drive. I had seen some reviews on Reddit of people with the Beta 4.5 running with this drive and load times were significantly better. One said that the new Ghost Recon game had no load screen, the game just started right up. With $50 off this drive it was not that bad, and after reading some of the questionable reviews of the external drive enclosures I thought it may be better to go with the Samsung (beside typically the samsung drives are rated higher). Would have liked a bigger drive, but should be fine if I just put the games that I play more often on it. I hope I get my invite to the beta, not really holding my breath at this point, otherwise I will have to wait for the official release which I know can take months. I am hoping if there are issues they will add new Beta testers, otherwise if there are not major issues they will release the update to everyone (yeah I know with Sony that I should have probably waited).

Once I can test it out, I will post back with an update. Really looking forward to quicker load times for BF1 and Horizon.

As a follow up, I was going to just go with a 500GB or larger internal SSD drive and put the 2TB drive that is currently in my PS4 in an external enclosure, but then with the OS loaded on the internal drive I would be giving up more space on the SSD. I am hoping that by using the external SSD, I won't have to load the OS onto that and will not sacrifice as much space, but this is an assumption at this point. Guess I should have waited and followed up here first, but didn't want to miss the $50 savings on the drive. As always, any suggestions are always welcome.

View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

Postby Silus-Wyvern » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:50 am

good job with the ssd.. I had actually thought about getting a couple of good HDD's and one of those nice usb 3.0 raid encolsures, i know it's not as good as an SSD but faster than what would be in it and a LOT more TB's of space. How long ago did you sign up for the beta? I did it kinda late so im' not expecting I'll get in. looks like they are still taking sign-ups though

Twitter: @silus_wyvern

View my Games
Silus-Wyvern
Featured Broadcaster
Featured Broadcaster

Games: 10
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 2609

Postby bdnyy23 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:34 pm

I signed up right before the beta went live with my main account and then when I didn't get an invite I signed up with a couple of my alts as well hoping one would get an invite.

I just saw that the external drive that I picked up is on sale at more places if anyone is looking for one. Think jet.com has it for $167 with a 15℅ off coupon for first time shoppers so that is great deal. Again only 500GB but if you have a larger drive in your system you should be fine.

View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

Postby bdnyy23 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Rumor is that the 4.5 update is due to release tomorrow. Not sure if it is true, but fingers are crossed. Can't wait to try out the external SSD, though it will probably have to wait till I can get around to moving some games which would be either Friday or Saturday.

Edit - oh well, looks like my hopes were shattered, doesn't look like the update will be released today, lets hope for next week :evil:

View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

Postby bdnyy23 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:44 am

External Drive works great, speed increase in loading games has been significantly decreased but it appears that there there is a bug with the external drive support. If you leave the drive connected and allow the PS4 to go to sleep for the power saving state, when you wake it back up you receive a message that the drive was not removed properly and it has to be repaired. As long as you remember to remove the device before powering down, it prevents the error, but I am hoping that this is something that can be resolved so that I won't have to continue to disconnect before powering down and reconnect upon wake up.

View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

Return to Sony