Hard drive Upgrade

Come and share your views with other members about the PS4, PS3, and the Vita here.

Re: Hard drive Upgrade

Postby pyro117 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:05 am

bdnyy23 wrote:From all of the reviews that I have seen on the comparison of the stock drive, SSD and SSHD, you will definitely get a benefit out of an SSD in the PS4 (original and Slim), just probably not enough to justify the cost of the drive for the space that you get. From what I have seen in the reviews, you can go from over a minute to load some games down to 20 seconds with an SSD drive. So that can help. The SSHD will help, but only if you load the same game repeatedly as Pyro mentioned. The reviews that I saw showed that if you load the same game 5 times (and that is opening the game from the start from what they said), you will get the most benefit (no additional benefit from loading more than 5 times), the improvement after 5 loads was just a few seconds slower than an SSD drive. So as long as you are constantly playing the same game, you should definitely see a benefit from the SSHD.

As for the Pro, currently the SATA II vs III connection has not proven to be as big of a benefit. All of the results that I have seen for the SSD in a PS4 (original and slim) vs the Pro, the improvement has been minimal with an SSD drive.

We have read a lot of the same articles I see... I bought the Seagate Gaming Firecuda 2TB SSHD drive. My game play style is to basically play 1 game until I am done with it and move onto the next, so I should see the benefits of the SSHD. Time will tell though... Plus the 2TB SSHD is around 120 where a 2TB SSD is well a lot more expensive.

However with Sony opening up the external HDD, then you could do a smaller SSD for the main system/saves and use the external for the games.
pyro117
Undertaker

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby Hohndo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:50 am

bdnyy23 wrote:From all of the reviews that I have seen on the comparison of the stock drive, SSD and SSHD, you will definitely get a benefit out of an SSD in the PS4 (original and Slim), just probably not enough to justify the cost of the drive for the space that you get. From what I have seen in the reviews, you can go from over a minute to load some games down to 20 seconds with an SSD drive. So that can help. The SSHD will help, but only if you load the same game repeatedly as Pyro mentioned. The reviews that I saw showed that if you load the same game 5 times (and that is opening the game from the start from what they said), you will get the most benefit (no additional benefit from loading more than 5 times), the improvement after 5 loads was just a few seconds slower than an SSD drive. So as long as you are constantly playing the same game, you should definitely see a benefit from the SSHD.

As for the Pro, currently the SATA II vs III connection has not proven to be as big of a benefit. All of the results that I have seen for the SSD in a PS4 (original and slim) vs the Pro, the improvement has been minimal with an SSD drive.

The problem is the read transfer rate is capped at 300mb/s. The HDD that comes with the PS4 is I think around 200mb/s. It'll always be better but not for the cost.
Hohndo
Saloon Keeper

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Main Platform: PS4
Discord: 5187

Postby pyro117 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:08 am

Hohndo wrote:

The problem is the read transfer rate is capped at 300mb/s. The HDD that comes with the PS4 is I think around 200mb/s. It'll always be better but not for the cost.

Can you provide the links to the articles on the read transfer rates? I did a quick google search and it all turned up "internet transfer rates". I am very interested in this as I still haven't purchased my PS4 Pro...

Also, I am just trying to provide information to anyone thinking about upgrading. My definition of cost benefit analysis is different from yours.
pyro117
Undertaker

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby Hohndo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:46 am

I can look later. The transfer rate is right on the HDD itself.

The 300mb/s cap is just what SATA II is capable of.
Hohndo
Saloon Keeper

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby bdnyy23 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:22 pm

These limits are why I decided to keep my 2TB drive that I already had in my PS4, and I purchased a 500GB External Samsung SSD drive to use once I get the update. That will allow me to put the games that I play more often on the external drive, and keep the rest on the main drive. I was going to get the SSHD, as that probably would have worked for me, but since my kids also play and play different games the chances of me seeing the benefits would probably be limited.

With the external drive using USB 3.0, I should not see as much of a limitation from the SATA II internal connection, so I am hoping I will see more benefit compared to an internal SSD drive. I would have loved to get more space on the SSD, just could not justify it, would rather put that extra money to a second PS4 Pro and new TV that can take advantage of the better graphics, but no rush for either. At this point, I just want to be able to have my games load quicker, I hate being the last one to load into BF1 :(

Anyone interested the Samsung T3 500GB external drive is still on sale at various sites for $169, if you buy it at Jet.com and use coupon Triple15, you can get 15% off, so you will be getting an external SSD drive for around $140. Still not great for the amount of space, but a pretty good deal for an external SSD drive.

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, Destiny 2
View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

Games: 14

Postby Hohndo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:34 am

Using the USB3 may or may not make it faster. Depends on the controllers it has.

Using USB3 over SATA is going to increase your latency, so it may be faster, but it'll take more time before that data starts loading.
Hohndo
Saloon Keeper

Postby bdnyy23 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Well my fingers are crossed. I know that reviews on Reddit have been very positive of users with External SSD and XBox One users with the external drive have posted positive results, so once I get the update for 4.5 I will test and report back. Drive came in the mail today so I am one step closer, now just need Sony to get moving with the official release or send me that Beta invite.

View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

Postby bdnyy23 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:35 pm

If rumors are true and the 4.5 update is released tomorrow I will test out the external SSD this weekend and post back my results. After waiting for Horizon Zero Dawn to load yesterday for what seemed like 2 minutes, anything has to be better, and looking forward to not being the last soldier to deploy in BF1.

View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

Postby bdnyy23 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:50 am

Can definitely confirm that using an SSD over USB 3.0 has provided a significant decrease in loading time, but not sure if the cost is worth the benefit. Loading time for Horizon Zero Dawn has gone from just over 50 seconds to around 26 seconds, and BF1 campaigns have gone from well over a minute to around a half minute, so in both cases it cut the load time at least in half. There is a bug with the external drives where if you do not disconnect it prior to the system entering sleep mode, when you wake the system up it gives you an error message that the drive was not removed properly and must be repaired. Not difficult to go into the device shortcut menu and remove, just an extra step needed prior to putting the system to sleep.

View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

Previous

Return to Sony