Login with a social network:

Hard drive Upgrade

Come and share your views with other members about the PS4, PS3, and the Vita here.

Hard drive Upgrade

Postby rogueskaboss » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:43 pm

I spent this morning upgrading my PS4 from 500gb to 2tb. Instructions are on numerous sites and is really easy. This is the guide I used: http://www.gamesradar.com/how-to-upgrad ... ard-drive/

I had a spare hard drive to back up my stock hard drive which made it really easy. One thing not listed in the instructions is the drive must me completely empty. I had to change the drive from GUID partition to a MBR (master boot record) which deleted the very small partition which the PS4 wanted to backup on instead of the huge available space in a different partition.

Back it all up, replace with new bigger hard drive, use a thumb drive to install and reinitialize the PS4, and finally sign in and restore from back up external hard drive. Took about 3 hours total most of it spent in data transfer. Works great now! Finally I have space to reinstall uncharted 4, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and the ps plus games I didn't have room to play.
rogueskaboss
Cowboy

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Games: 5
Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: Hard drive Upgrade

Postby Fed Architect » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:38 am

I have thought about doing this but just hate the idea of having to reinstall all of my games. Took long enough the first time. I really wish they would allow games to be stored and play on an external hard drive like Xbox does. Oh well, I might still do it eventually. :)
Xbox Live Fed Architect
PSN Fed_Architect
Steam: Fed_Architect
Twitter: @Fed_Architect
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/FedArchitect

View my Games
Fed Architect
Jesse James

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 8
Highscores: 1

Postby rogueskaboss » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:19 am

You can back everything up on an external drive then you don't have to reinstall anything as long as it's currently install on your PS4. They did an update to allow back ups on an external drive a while back. The only games I have to download and install are the ones I deleted.

I agree though. I'd much rather not have had to go through all these steps and just increase my hd space by plugging in an external drive.
rogueskaboss
Cowboy

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Games: 5

Postby BohicaSnafu47 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:48 pm

The next update is said to add external hard drive support so start shopping for cheap TB hard drives.

View my Games
BohicaSnafu47
2013 Chat Trivia Champion

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 61
Discord: 9706

Postby BohicaSnafu47 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:48 pm

The next update is said to add external hard drive support so start shopping for cheap TB hard drives.

View my Games
BohicaSnafu47

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 61
Discord: 9706

Postby FuryBlade95 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:24 pm

I should really do this constantly deleting games to make room for more games 500GB is simply just not enough. Thanks for the tutorial!
PSN: FuryBlade95

View my Games
FuryBlade95
Green Horn

1 year of membership

Games: 21

Postby bdnyy23 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:35 pm

As mentioned abouve, with the pending PS4 update, you will be able to connect an external Hard drive to the PS4 via USB, so not as much of a need to replace your internal drive. That is of course unless you don't want to wait for the update to be released which knowing Sony could be a couple months. They are suppose to be releasing the release date soon, according to articles around the web.

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, Destiny 2
View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

Games: 14

Postby Hohndo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:09 pm

For the people that do upgrade, don't bother with a SSD or SSHD on the PS4 and PS4 Slim. They won't benefit from it due to SATA II connections.

PS4 Pro has SATA III but the benefit will be minimal.
Hohndo
Saloon Keeper

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Main Platform: PS4
Discord: 5187

Postby pyro117 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Hohndo wrote:For the people that do upgrade, don't bother with a SSD or SSHD on the PS4 and PS4 Slim. They won't benefit from it due to SATA II connections.

PS4 Pro has SATA III but the benefit will be minimal.

I researched the PS4 Pro and HDD options. There is a new 2GB SSHD on the market with 8GB SSD for caching. This can make a difference but only for commonly played games as they will get loaded into the 8GB SSD partion. I will be getting a Pro next month and already have the SSHD to go into it.

If you are interested in replacing your HDD in your PS4, do some research and decide if the benefits of a SSHD are worth the cost or not.
pyro117
Undertaker

Postby bdnyy23 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:01 pm

From all of the reviews that I have seen on the comparison of the stock drive, SSD and SSHD, you will definitely get a benefit out of an SSD in the PS4 (original and Slim), just probably not enough to justify the cost of the drive for the space that you get. From what I have seen in the reviews, you can go from over a minute to load some games down to 20 seconds with an SSD drive. So that can help. The SSHD will help, but only if you load the same game repeatedly as Pyro mentioned. The reviews that I saw showed that if you load the same game 5 times (and that is opening the game from the start from what they said), you will get the most benefit (no additional benefit from loading more than 5 times), the improvement after 5 loads was just a few seconds slower than an SSD drive. So as long as you are constantly playing the same game, you should definitely see a benefit from the SSHD.

As for the Pro, currently the SATA II vs III connection has not proven to be as big of a benefit. All of the results that I have seen for the SSD in a PS4 (original and slim) vs the Pro, the improvement has been minimal with an SSD drive.

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, Destiny 2
View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

Games: 14

Next

Return to Sony