Login with a social network:

Splatfest #4 (Transformers)

Team up with your fellow Inkslingers in some online battles in this Switch sequel for Splatoon!

Splatfest #4 (Transformers)

Postby Crinklepouch » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:29 am

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/sta ... 5004880896

@Transformers is coming to #Splatfest! Battle as Team AUTOBOTS or Team DECEPTICONS for 24 hrs starting 8/28 9 PM PT!

Which side are you choosing?

I'm currently playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
Crinklepouch
SNES MK Time Trial Champion & Last COD:Reflex Survivor

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Games: 44
Blog: View Blog (8)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-
Discord: 9782

Re: Splatfest #4 (Transformers)

Postby ShaX » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:22 pm

Which team is more popular? Thats the one im choosing because thats the team that will win. They should rename Splatfest to Popularityfest.

View my Games
ShaX
MK8 Halloween Winner
MK8 Halloween Winner

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Games: 8
Blog: View Blog (0)
Discord: 0963

Postby Crinklepouch » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Final Score (out of 500) = Popularity Percentage + (Win Percentage × 4)

View my Games
Crinklepouch

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby Crinklepouch » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:58 pm

If I had to guess right now I'd guess Autobots will be more popular, but that's just because they're the protagonist. The winning team isn't a big deal, at King rank it's only a difference of 6 shells, so while winning is a nice +33% bonus, you still walk away with 18 if you lose. And I think win percentage x4 plus popularity percentage is a fair metric to judge the winner (Win rate is a possible 400 points out of 500, popularity is a possible 100). No reason to get salty over it: the last splatfest, the winner had a 48% win rate, but 64% popularity, that's pretty substantial and should be worth something. The splatfest before that, the winner only raked in 46% popularity but had a 53% win rate, pretty close, but still won. BUT, I can see your side, where the difference between teams is going to average out pretty close to 50/50 every splatfest (the highest percentage a winner has had was 55% twice in Japan, and they won the entire splatfest both times), so the popularity is just the nail in the coffin. Tossing in the popularity, to me, just seems to add to the fun of these squids hashing out their differences. It's 1 part democracy, 4 parts war. Splatfest is a silly turf war thing, if you want serious competition, I'd jump in ranked!

View my Games
Crinklepouch

Postby ShaX » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Crinklepouch wrote:Final Score (out of 500) = Popularity Percentage + (Win Percentage × 4)

Isn't this the same formula they used last time? And the team that won more matches lost because of the popularity vote.

View my Games
ShaX
MK8 Halloween Winner
MK8 Halloween Winner

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby Squiglet » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:22 am

I really don't mind the popularity aspect of it. I look at it two ways:

1.) It gives people who don't have as much time on their hands to participate in a meaningful way. Honestly not all of us can play the full 1-4 hours needed to make an impact on the outcome, so this is a nice alternative. Winning still has more leverage, so it kinda balances out.

2.) I know this might be stretching it but...if you look at it from a war type perspective, it makes perfect sense. More soldiers or people on your side, equals more leverage in the grand scheme of things. During the American civil war, the south had better generals, better soldiers, and, overall, killed more of the enemy and won more battles. Yet it wasn't enough because of the north's outrageous amount of soldiers. Hell, that was Grant's plan when he became General. Just send wave after wave of soldiers til the south burned out. That, along with crippling hyperinflation, led to the south's defeat. It's not all just about winning individual battles. If you have less soldiers, you have to make those wins count. They weigh a lot more heavily in the outcome of your success than the other side.

GO DECEPTICONS!
Squiglet
Rancher

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby MikeyFromSantee » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Pouch and Squiglet are right on point. The prize difference between 18 shells and 24 shells really is nothing at all, given that Splatfests look like they happen about every 3 weeks. And they changed the formula for scoring from what was used before that, skewing it more towards Win% by double and the more popular team still won. If these Splatfests were really supposed to be taken seriously as some sort of real competition, then the thing they should take away is the question itself and just use the game's absolutely-perfect-in-every-way matchmaking to divide the participant pool into two perfectly even teams and just ditch the formula [/sarcasm]. As it is, Splatfest is just about choosing a side you believe in and fighting for it no matter the odds.

Also, it doesn't matter who won. Dogs, Water Slides, Hot Dogs and Autobots are all better than everything else.

Mike Ellis, a.k.a. MikeyFromSantee
San Diego, CA, USA
Pokémon Professor
Tournament Organizer | VG Judge | TCG Judge

I'm currently playing Pokemon Alpha, Pokemon Omega
View my Games
MikeyFromSantee
Featured Broadcaster
Featured Broadcaster

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 20
Blog: View Blog (3)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 8546

Postby ShaX » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:33 pm

I'll rest my case since i'm the only one who thinks the popularity piece is unnecessary.

As for this Splatfest, i've chosen team Autobots.

View my Games
ShaX
MK8 Halloween Winner
MK8 Halloween Winner

Postby Crinklepouch » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:41 pm

I think Autobots will win popularity with 68% but I may be surprised

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk

View my Games
Crinklepouch

Postby McMurphy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:47 pm

I am picking Autobots because Optimus Prime is practically a robotic adaption of John Wayne.

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 68
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674

Return to Splatoon 2