Login with a social network:

Splatoon Sells More than a Million Copies

Team up with your fellow Inkslingers in some online battles in this Switch sequel for Splatoon!

Splatoon Sells More than a Million Copies

Postby McMurphy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:52 am

Splatoon has been selling well. Very well, in fact. Nintendo has already sold over one million copies of the game in the first few weeks of the game's release. which is outstanding for a new IP that received decent yet not great pre-release reviews. Splatoon has joined the short list of Nintendo games to sell over a million copies: a club that is otherwise populated solely by long time successful Nintendo franchises such as Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.

[Source.]

What do you think these fantastic sales mean for Nintendo and, perhaps, them addressing more modern gaming tastes (i.e.: shooters) while creating new franchises?

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 68
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 3674
TagsSplatoon, one million sold, nintendo, inksingers, splatoon clan

Re: Splatoon Sells More than a Million Copies

Postby MikeyFromSantee » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:51 am

When Nintendo wants to make a great game, they don't need to necessarily rely on the power of existing IPs to do it. I don't think Nintendo will actively seek out other underrepresented gaming genres on Nintendo platforms though, as that's not really Nintendo's strong point. But I am hoping they have at least one more surprise game in the works that is a new IP and expands out from Nintendo's comfort zone, because I know that no matter what that game is, Nintendo will do well making it.

Mike Ellis, a.k.a. MikeyFromSantee
San Diego, CA, USA
Pokémon Professor
Tournament Organizer | VG Judge | TCG Judge

I'm currently playing Pokemon Alpha, Pokemon Omega
View my Games
MikeyFromSantee
Featured Broadcaster
Featured Broadcaster

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 20
Blog: View Blog (3)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 8546

Re: Splatoon Sells More than a Million Copies

Postby dunkaroo69 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 am

Not surprised at all by these sales. Splatoon is an amazing game. It's targeted for kids, but I honestly believe more adults play it than children. Just go over to Twitch and you'll see. I think this is a sign of the times. Military shooters are getting stale. People want variety; they want new and exciting. And Splatoon delivers this in every way.

I hope the success of it really does drive them to create more new titles and franchises. The old stand bys are awesome, don't get me wrong, but if they can bring the greatness that is Nintendo and implement it into popular genres, there's no doubt they could sell the heck out of it. Devils Third is still somewhere on the horizon, and that game has me super excited. They're next step after shooters is to make a top down rpg like diablo but with a Ninty spin :P After that, a new rpg like Skyrim.... Ok, getting ahead of myself :D

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 45
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)
Main Platform: XboxOne

Return to Splatoon 2