Login with a social network:

Inkoming: Balance update: Kraken and other nerfs

Team up with your fellow Inkslingers in some online battles in this Switch sequel for Splatoon!

Inkoming: Balance update: Kraken and other nerfs

Postby MikeyFromSantee » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:40 am

Are you annoyed by inkonsistent Inkstrike ink coverage? (Try saying that three times fast!)

Don't you wish you could knockback those overpowered Krakens with your rapid fire weapon?

Are you getting tired of seeing so many Rollers... or NOT seeing them because they all run Ninja Squid?

Well fellow inkling, your prayers have been answered! On June 30th, an update will bring some balancing. Nintendo says so. (Why can't you also do these things for Super Smash Bros., Nintendo?)

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com ... RwbQ%3D%3D

We now bring you back to your regularly scheduled Callie and Marie program.

Mike Ellis, a.k.a. MikeyFromSantee
San Diego, CA, USA
Pokémon Professor
Tournament Organizer | VG Judge | TCG Judge

I'm currently playing Pokemon Alpha, Pokemon Omega
View my Games
MikeyFromSantee
Featured Broadcaster
Featured Broadcaster

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 20
Blog: View Blog (3)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 8546

Re: Inkoming: Balance update: Kraken and other nerfs

Postby dunkaroo69 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:37 am

MikeyFromSantee wrote:
Don't you wish you could knockback those overpowered Krakens with your rapid fire weapon?

YES x infinity!!!! lol, glad we have a chance against krakens now. I wanted this from the beginning. Would be nice if we could actually kill the damn kraken, since every other special that you use you can still die while using it :P

MikeyFromSantee wrote:Are you getting tired of seeing so many Rollers...

This is worthy of its own forum :D

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 45
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)
Main Platform: XboxOne

Postby Njok » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:44 am

I honestly don't think the Kraken is OP at all. I'm still not gonna shoot at it. Just swim away, wait til it's done and kill it when it's back in it's regular size squid form :D

The ninja squid is probably a good thing, since it really wasn't much of a speed deduction at all. That said, it's gonna suck for me because i use it often.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N9005 met Tapatalk
Njok
Dude

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby McMurphy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:44 am

It is nice to see Nintendo pay attention to post release balancing. I hope they don't get TOO reflexive to online complaining and we see new balancing on a regular basis...something that plagued Conduit 2. Speaking of Conduit 2, it makes sense that they are lowering the squid speed when using ninja. Toezer was absolutely unstoppable when she was allowed to use speed boosts with stealth.

Personally, I am all for adding counterweight when Kraken is being used because, even when I attempt to just run away, they usually are able to chase me down.

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, DOOM, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
View my Games
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Games: 68
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)
Discord: 3674

Postby Njok » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:18 pm

So how does everyone feel about this update?

Personally i hate it. I feel the Kraken nerf was too much. The knockback is a good idea but right now it seems that you shouldn't even try to go straight at someone with a high fire rate. And sneaking up on someone is not really gonna work with a huge ass kraken. Don't get me wrong, it's still good but it lost a lot of it's power. Way too much in my opinion. It's a special, it should be very powerfull. I mean, now everyone is gonna yell nerf bubbler and if they do that too than where does it stop?

I may be over reacting lol. But really, i think it's too much.

Also stealth jump has just become completely worthless. On most maps it will be quicker to just swim to where you want to go. That's how slow it is now.

Different update, but might as well do it in the same post: first impression of tower control?

It's intense! I think i may suck at this :D But then again i only played a few matches. Killed a whole lot (like 15 to 20 every match) but i also die a sh*t load! :D

I can see it being alot of fun to play a few matches in between but to be honest i don't like the idea of this being a main mode on itself. I'm hoping they will allow us to play both ranked modes instead of rotating it like they will do now.

Also, it would be nice to see different rank systems for both since they are completely different games. I don't really care about rank myself, but i can see how it can be annoying to see your rank go to hell because this mode is not your thing (or you're just not used to it yet).

Njok
Dude

Postby MikeyFromSantee » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:27 am

Njok wrote:So how does everyone feel about this update?

Personally i hate it. I feel the Kraken nerf was too much. The knockback is a good idea but right now it seems that you shouldn't even try to go straight at someone with a high fire rate. And sneaking up on someone is not really gonna work with a huge ass kraken. Don't get me wrong, it's still good but it lost a lot of it's power. Way too much in my opinion. It's a special, it should be very powerfull. I mean, now everyone is gonna yell nerf bubbler and if they do that too than where does it stop?

The Bubbler was the one that should have been nerfed, not the Kraken.

Bubbler Special
+ Instantly makes the user invincible for the time it is up
+ Allows the user to continue using their main weapon to ink ground during the special, creating defensible space
+ Allows user to enter a dangerous situation and easily gain ground
+ Hard counters any Roller that has committed to a Fling attack, often their only useable projectile attack
+ Can share the Bubbler with teammates, multiplying its effects greatly
- Can be knocked back with rapid fire weapons or Killer Wail
- There are no other drawbacks

Kraken Special
+ Instantly makes the user invincible for the time it is up
+ Instantly OHKO's opponents if user presses Jump button near opponents
+ Allows user to move faster, allowing user to attempt to retreat or fall back quickly
+ Can climb walls that have not been inked or have been inked by the opposing team
+ Enemy ink or uninked ground does not slow down user, allowing user to infiltrate deep into enemy territory
- User inks considerably less ground in Kraken form
- Cannot use any attacks other than the "Kraken Flop" in Kraken form
- Can be knocked back with rapid fire weapons or Killer Wail
- Unable to protect itself with weapon fire coming out of the Kraken Special

I have noticed that the result of nerfing Kraken has been an increase in weapons that use Bubbler. This, combined with the nerfs to both Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump, has considerably weakened Rollers and changed the feel of the game massively. The only Roller with Bubbler is the Inkbrush, which is hardly a Roller at all.

As far as I'm concerned, all the update did was make the game harder for me to play and easier for everyone else.

San Diego, CA, USA
Pokémon Professor

View my Games
MikeyFromSantee
Featured Broadcaster
Featured Broadcaster

Postby Njok » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:10 pm

I totally agree mikey, but some silly nerf is not gonna bring us down man :D If anything the Kraken is still great for chasing people away lol. Seems to work fine still.

I actually am noticing the speed deduction while being a kraken and wearing my ninja. Or that might just be in my head. In normal squid mode i dont need to swim fast so i don't really notice it that much.

Njok
Dude

Postby dunkaroo69 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:48 pm

Well.... I for one really see nothing different about the rollers. Kracken was still a huge pain in the ass, no matter how much I shot at it, so not really sure at all what changed. Think I was killed about a dozen times by it last night, so if it was nerfed I can't tell the difference.

Last night, however, was the first time I think I ever really HATED this game. Rollers have gotten to the point where I just don't want to play anymore. Flinging ink with them feels like a one hit kill to me. And it's not just a small amount of ink they throw either, it's a goddamn tidal wave! I don't even know why we have any other weapons in this game anymore. Get rid of the guns and have it rollers only.

And matchmaking.... good god I wish they did something about this. Last night was the first time I've rage quit in a while because the team I was on was f#©king pathetic. Enemy team won with like 90% of the turf. It got to the point I couldn't even spawn without dying. I realize it was a squad of GS on the other team, but jesus christ, it's not even fun when you can't get the hell off of your platform.

Like I said, last night was the first time in a long time I've rage quit a game. It honestly made me question whether or not I want to play it anymore. Think I'm gonna take a break from it for a while.

I'm currently playing Destiny 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty WWII, Titanfall 2
View my Games
dunkaroo69
Site Admin
Site Admin

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 45
Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)
Main Platform: XboxOne

Postby MikeyFromSantee » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:54 pm

dunkaroo69 wrote:Well.... I for one really see nothing different about the rollers. Kracken was still a huge pain in the ass, no matter how much I shot at it, so not really sure at all what changed. Think I was killed about a dozen times by it last night, so if it was nerfed I can't tell the difference.

Last night, however, was the first time I think I ever really HATED this game. Rollers have gotten to the point where I just don't want to play anymore. Flinging ink with them feels like a one hit kill to me. And it's not just a small amount of ink they throw either, it's a goddamn tidal wave! I don't even know why we have any other weapons in this game anymore. Get rid of the guns and have it rollers only.

And matchmaking.... good god I wish they did something about this. Last night was the first time I've rage quit in a while because the team I was on was f#©king pathetic. Enemy team won with like 90% of the turf. It got to the point I couldn't even spawn without dying. I realize it was a squad of GS on the other team, but jesus christ, it's not even fun when you can't get the hell off of your platform.

Like I said, last night was the first time in a long time I've rage quit a game. It honestly made me question whether or not I want to play it anymore. Think I'm gonna take a break from it for a while.

Even with the nerfs, the best weapon to have at the opponent's base on most maps when you have 90% turf, especially in Urchin Underpass and Bluefin Depot, is a Roller. I have been very successful holding entire teams up at their base in the Underpass by myself for extended periods of time or even the rest of the match with both Dynamo Roller and Carbon Roller (the former because of its massive "tidal wave" as you put it, the latter because of its speed of OHKO when I swim up close to each opponent and jump fling). If all you got were crappy teams that put too much attention to painting every crevice on their 1/3rd of the map instead of trying to move forward at least a little early game, then I know why you couldn't deal with any Rollers at all and saw no difference in their play.

San Diego, CA, USA
Pokémon Professor

View my Games
MikeyFromSantee
Featured Broadcaster
Featured Broadcaster

Postby Njok » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:11 pm

I still feel a very passionate hate against the nerf, but i don't think it's much of a change in how rollers play / should be playing.

I might switch to a regular splat roller just for the sake of having suction bombs (yep, this is how bad i think the nerf is. It seems justified to take a silly wale over the kraken just to have suction bombs) and i don't really see the need for beakons on most maps. Maybe that one awesome spot on skatepark that no one ever seems to notice but that's about it.

Other than that, yeah roller is still a beast if handled well. But i wouldn't go as far as to say it's the only good weapon. I still have nightmares of some of my encounters with some really good squelchers or splattershots :D

I agree though that the most used weapons in turf war (insane fire rate but weak) are usually no match.

But Dunk loves this game too mutch anyway so he'll stick around :D :D

Njok
Dude

Next

Return to Splatoon 2