Login with a social network:

xbl hacked - change your passwords

Relive your Halo memories with your fellow space cowboys here!

xbl hacked - change your passwords

Postby The13thMonkey » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:00 am

As you are all aware PSN and XBL were hacked/ddos'd over Xmas. This has lead to some idiot posting 13000 passwords to various sites/services including XBL in a link dump via twitter. A warning has gone out on several gaming site including halofollower and planetdestiny.

Could just be a bit of scare mongering but for the sake of a few mins might but worth changing your password (esp with the h5 beta starting tomorrow).

View my Games
The13thMonkey
Butcher

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 1
Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: xbl hacked - change your passwords

Postby HumpiestRocket » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:28 am

Also be aware that these passwords also include Amazon accounts as well.
HumpiestRocket
PC Leader
PC Leader

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby Crof2003 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:01 am

Remember that your Xbox Live account is actually a Microsoft account, which covers a large set of other services like One Drive, Office 365, and a large set of online services and potentially your Windows 8 PC as well if you have it set up that way.

I always prefer to keep an eye on these sort of things. Does anyone have any reputable news sources on this? It seems under-reported.

From what I could find so far, the XBL/PSN outages were not related to these passwords being released. One group did a denial of service, and another decided to release some username and passwords.

I read that the one responsible for the usernames and passwords was Anonymous, which seems odd: usually Anonymous tends to go big. 13,000 passwords from a variety of sites seems oddly small and undirected...I'd suggest they were just made up to add a bit more negative publicity to Sony and Microsoft and to keep themselves in the news.

In any case, changing passwords regularly is important...
Gamertag - Crof2003

Multipalyer Games: Forza, Master Chief Collection, Titanfall, Battlefield 4
Crof2003
Undertaker

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby nickyrock1962 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:24 am

I'm gonna take a chance and say it's a bluff, not changing anything.
Gamertag: NICKYROCK1962
Console: XBOXONE
Active Games: Forza 6
nickyrock1962
Jailer

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby HumpiestRocket » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:17 am

I was trying to see if the passwords were the actual passwords or the hash of the password. Being big companies I assume that these are password hashes (and assuming a salt was used as well), they pretty much useless if this is the case. That's why I never rush out to change my password since its almost always likely to be the password has which is leaked. Perhaps why these stories don't make big headlines any more.
HumpiestRocket
PC Leader
PC Leader

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Return to Halo: Master Chief Collection