Login with a social network:

Was CE really this bad?

Relive your Halo memories with your fellow space cowboys here!

Was CE really this bad?

Postby Rikakiah » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:36 am

Started playing through the campaigns from the beginning, after I run out of stuff to do in Destiny each day. While HALO 1 looks great (amazing how poor the graphics actually were back then), I remember the gaming experience to be more fluid and snappy, for lack of a better description. It FEELS like a mediocre port. I admittedly haven't played the original Combat Evolved in ages, and I'm sure my gaming critique ability has become more fine-tuned, so it's possible I was just inexperienced and easily wowed back then.
Rikakiah
Gunsmith

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: Was CE really this bad?

Postby nickyrock1962 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:08 pm

Rikakiah wrote:Started playing through the campaigns from the beginning, after I run out of stuff to do in Destiny each day. While HALO 1 looks great (amazing how poor the graphics actually were back then), I remember the gaming experience to be more fluid and snappy, for lack of a better description. It FEELS like a mediocre port. I admittedly haven't played the original Combat Evolved in ages, and I'm sure my gaming critique ability has become more fine-tuned, so it's possible I was just inexperienced and easily wowed back then.

I'm gonna go with the latter of what you said.
Gamertag: NICKYROCK1962
Console: XBOXONE
Active Games: Forza 6
nickyrock1962
Jailer

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Havoc2049 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:38 pm

I like the old graphics...the darkness in certain areas adds a sense of mystery to the campaign and the Marines don't look like they need to go on a diet. :D

The awesome AI, sandbox encounters, smooth gameplay and interesting story are good as well. I also feel that the control of the Warthogs and Banshees are tighter in CE than any of the other Halo games.
Havoc2049
Cattle Rustler

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby Rikakiah » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Really? Because the warthog drives like it's always on ice. This is exactly how the series has always been, though, so it's not really a surprise or complaint. I think they improved them a little for the later entries. I did get fairly decent with them despite their complete disregard for physics.

I haven't flown a banshee, yet, but was never stellar with them. I'm hoping the tanks control like the later games, as I think they greatly improved the intuitiveness of them after CE.

I kind of agree with the style of the old graphics. I toggled one area and it was virtually night and day. Of course, the old graphics were bad, but I think they could've done an update without completely changing the style. Either way, HALO's always been a "pretty" game and the update continues that.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Rikakiah
Gunsmith

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby Dr Rockso 405 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:03 pm

I still like CE, I guess I find some of it's old school quirks charming. Of course I haven't replayed the Library yet (I have played CE:A on 360 within the last year though) so I could just be saying that because I've forgotten the pain.

I actually think 4 is the least fun campaign for a couple reasons: 1) I find the promethean knights and their watcher buddies more annoying than satisfying (the crawlers are perfect though) and 2) I don't like the promethean weapons which you have to use too often. Hopefully in 5 the knights are a little less spongey and the weapons are more fun to use.
GT: Dr Rockso 405 psn: JacoRiff
Dr Rockso 405
Rancher

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby alu_boh » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:53 pm

They used their own physics in halo ce. Starting in halo 2 they switched to Havok engine. That might explain the difference in feel.

Really nostalgic going back and playing the first one. I forgot how hard legendary is.
Xbox GT: Alu BOH
Origin: xneuromancer
alu_boh
Green Horn

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby nickyrock1962 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:02 pm

alu_boh wrote:They used their own physics in halo ce. Starting in halo 2 they switched to Havok engine. That might explain the difference in feel.

Really nostalgic going back and playing the first one. I forgot how hard legendary is.

I still like halo 2 best.
nickyrock1962
Jailer

Postby Rikakiah » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:40 am

That would explain a lot.

Also, I think I saw one of the patches say something about tweaking the headshot boxes. Not sure if that only applied to MP, or also the campaign, but I really think that was part of my problem with it. I was having the hardest time getting head shots on grunts (which used to be kind of a no-brainer for me).

I haven't tried it again since any of the patches, since I've been consumed by Dragon Age, so I guess it's not a big deal. I really probably should've waited on the purchase since I only care about the campaign and the fact I think every Xbox owner should have HALO for whatever system it's available on (although the infinite ammo skull from the pre-order should prove to be fun).
Rikakiah
Gunsmith

Postby nickyrock1962 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:04 am

Rikakiah wrote:That would explain a lot.

Also, I think I saw one of the patches say something about tweaking the headshot boxes. Not sure if that only applied to MP, or also the campaign, but I really think that was part of my problem with it. I was having the hardest time getting head shots on grunts (which used to be kind of a no-brainer for me).

I haven't tried it again since any of the patches, since I've been consumed by Dragon Age, so I guess it's not a big deal. I really probably should've waited on the purchase since I only care about the campaign and the fact I think every Xbox owner should have HALO for whatever system it's available on (although the infinite ammo skull from the pre-order should prove to be fun).

I have had no problems with headshots in halo ce campaign.
nickyrock1962
Jailer

Return to Halo: Master Chief Collection