Login with a social network:

Sea of Thieves

Place all your thoughts on Microsoft's Xbox360 and Xbox One here.

Re: Sea of Thieves

Postby coolhandlewke » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:28 am

bummed i couldn't meet up with you guys. my wife was home from a couple night trip, so when she wanted to tell me all about it i wasn't getting my game on. when i finally could play you guys had just left. i had a blast, and can't wait for next week, but randoms are tough. my 1st crew was chinese. they spoke a few words of english, but it was enough for us to get by. ironic that this was how alot of ships rolled back in the day, many different cultures and languages packed together and working it out.
the 2nd crew were youngsters. my chinese bro's had left a couple golden chickens squawking in the captains quarters, and they were pretty stoked to find them. we sold them off and made good bucks. i had no idea where to go out there, but these guys were clueless in naval warfare. they would run in to engage an enemy ship, and then drop the anchor. the enemy would just move out of cannon range and then blast us. i noticed the experienced alpha crews didn't even bother with cannon fights. they just rushed right in nose 1st and boarded us and wiped us out.
i found a bunch of powder kegs about. i took online advice and stowed them in the crows nest, but then they weren't accessible when i needed them. my brain fart of the night was when we pulled in to sell the chickens. i stayed on board to guard the ship. i never noticed that we had poked a hole when we had anchored. i never knew we were taking on water until the bells rang and we were lost. note to self when standing watch on board, take a quick check below decks.
coolhandlewke
Snake Oil Salesman

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby Fed Architect » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Here is a little fun CorpseDiver and myself had. Hope to see more GS Pirates out there upon full release! :pirate:

Xbox Live Fed Architect
PSN Fed_Architect
Steam: Fed_Architect
Twitter: @Fed_Architect
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/FedArchitect

View my Games
Fed Architect
Jesse James

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 8
Highscores: 1

Postby coolhandlewke » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:35 pm

regardless of gs participation, this game is going to be great for building a friends list.
coolhandlewke
Snake Oil Salesman

Postby coolhandlewke » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:55 am

so, while we wait out the last 5 days until release, lets talk some strategy. the random newb crews i sailed with all did pretty decent until that 1st cannon ball flew, then all hell broke loose. how do the experienced players approach a galleon v galleon battle? poke a few holes in them and then rush their deck and exploit the better hand to hand skills? keep your ship better positioned and keep pounding them with cannon shot until they are all bailing for their lives?
what would the 4 crew members ideally be doing when approaching a ship to do battle? should someone always stay on the wheel/sails while the fight is raging? is there a preferred sail length for manuevering in close quarters with enemy ships?
coolhandlewke
Snake Oil Salesman

Postby Fed Architect » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:44 pm

I would love to discuss strategy, but since I seem to get sunk every time, I am just going to say the my strategy is to hide my ship under the water! :D
Xbox Live Fed Architect
PSN Fed_Architect
Steam: Fed_Architect
Twitter: @Fed_Architect
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/FedArchitect

View my Games
Fed Architect
Jesse James

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Games: 8
Highscores: 1

Postby Havoc2049 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:49 am

:pirate: The day is almost here. :fencing: (kudos to the pirate emoticons..lol)

Everyone, feel free to add me to your friends list.

MajorHavoc 2049
Havoc2049
Cattle Rustler

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby Cpt Carunch » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:58 am

Added you on Xbox Havoc. Looking forward to learning how to sail/fight well and to find a good coordinated crew.
XBox GT: Cpt Carunch
Cpt Carunch
Cattle Rustler

Main Platform: XboxOne

Postby Havoc2049 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:44 am

^^^
Cool!

This game is a blast so far. Played for like 6 hours strait last night, fought a fierce battle on a skull island and even fought a Kraken. This game is awesome. A few minor bugs here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary for an online game. If anyone is on the fence, dive in as there is tons of fun to be had.
Havoc2049
Cattle Rustler

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby coolhandlewke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:14 am

good fun yesterday hitting the high seas. i trust that the devs will be true to their word, and continually evolve the game. the game does feel pretty small on initial release. this article in forbes sums it up pretty well.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin ... 20b9e126be

i am easily amused, so i will be able to enjoy playing until they start building it up. stripped down to the basics though the quests are pretty weak. find the X, dig, sail back and sell, repeat. kill a handful of skeletons, pick up the skull(s), sail back and sell. you get the idea. i think they will be addressing this soon. the bounties will eventually be much more challenging, akin to AC. getting on to an island to kill a famed skelly pirate should be an ordeal, with tough and varied defenses and defenders.
i would love to see a bunch of added npc ships, both to attack us, and be plundered by us. anyways enough negative. i'll be back on the seas tonight, and enjoying the heck out of getting my feet wet.
coolhandlewke
Snake Oil Salesman

Postby coolhandlewke » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm

last night headed out on a 2 man sloop. we decided to finally try a skull cloud raid. this was much more what i was looking for from this game. skelly's firing cannons from towers all over, and with sick accuracy. after a few attempts we were finally making some headway. controlling a couple towers to allow your ship to anchor safely is key, as bananas and bullets will run out quick on the island. right when the last wave spawned a galleon rolled up on us and sunk our sloop. they dispatched my buddy, but kept getting blunderbussed in the face when trying to root me out of my tower. then they were bolting, and i was relieved at first. then i discover they had finished off the foes, grabbed the vault key, and ran. i could see a ton of chests and plunder thru the floor, but there was no way in. in hindsight i wish we were in gamechat instead of party. i might have been able to broker a deal, 2 chests in exchange for safe passage with the rest. it would have saved them from having to go back. we ended up battling them for most of the next hour trying to get the key back. unfortunately my teammate kept dropping anchor right along side of them. i took too many cannonballs to the face to count. it would seem to me a sloop should never anchor in battle. you are giving up your main tactical advantage, mobility. anyways thats pirating. i'm anxious to get back at it again tonight. this time i want a full crew on that island. anyone know if the vault key is an item you carry, like a chest or gunpowder barrel? would it be recoverable from a shipwreck, or to be stolen from an enemy ship?
coolhandlewke
Snake Oil Salesman

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft