Gamecube Controller Adapter

The gloves are off among the Gunslingers as they duke it out in Super Smash Bros. on both the 3DS and Wii U!

Gamecube Controller Adapter

Postby Merky Water » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:22 pm

I wondered if anyone could shed some light on the gamecube controller adapter they're releasing for the U. Perhaps, if not prior to the 21st, one of those getting one can tell me how they operate once they arrive.

I see the two USB cords and my question is, does each run two of the adapters or would one cord connect all four to the system while the other powers the signal conversion?

My concern stems from the console itself having but 4 USB ports. I'm always using one port now with an added 2TB expansion drive. I'm often using a second port for LAN adapter if not running wireless. Not to mention, this game's supposed to work with up to 8 Gamecube controllers which will either require two of these devices, or another invention i've not noticed advertised.

If one USB on the adapter is strictly powering the device, I can plug that in elsewhere. Otherwise, if this is an avenue I'll travel, I'll have to see if there is a U compatible USB hub.

Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself, especially with all the controller options they offer. But I do want to know how best to hook up if more than 4 players opt for GC controllers.

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, ARMS, DOOM, FAST rmx, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rocket League, Splatoon 2, Need for Speed: Most Wanted
View my Games
Merky Water
Nintendo Leader and Yoshi Champion

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Games: 39
Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (5)
Main Platform: Switch
Discord: 6083
TagsWii U, Gamecube controller, usb adapter, Smash Bros

Re: Gamecube Controller Adapter

Postby Cope » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:58 pm

I am curious if this will run regular wii games off the wiiu?
Cope
Undertaker

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (1)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby thejanman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Also, will the adapter let you use wireless gamecube controllers (like the Wii)? I have more wireless GC controllers than wired....
See my profile for my friend codes and gamer tag
thejanman
Dry Goods Merchant

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby thejanman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:54 pm

Merk,

Check the link out: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Smash-GameC ... B00L3LQ1FI

It clearly has BOTH USB plugs in the U... I am pretty certain, both will be utilized! :(
thejanman
Dry Goods Merchant

Postby thejanman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Just in case any of you wanted to use BONGO DRUMS to play SSB4!

Check this fun video out! http://www.idigitaltimes.com/super-smas ... our-395276
thejanman
Dry Goods Merchant

Postby Cope » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:04 pm

i have read you can use wireless controllers with the adapter. they plug in the same way.
Cope
Undertaker

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Merky Water » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:52 pm

thejanman wrote:Merk,

Check the link out: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Smash-GameC ... B00L3LQ1FI

It clearly has BOTH USB plugs in the U... I am pretty certain, both will be utilized! :(

Yes, I saw this. But the whole layout got me wondering why there's two separate colors for the USB connectors. I'm hoping it's to signify power v connection. If any of you guys getting the bundle can check that out I, for one, would be greatly indebted

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, ARMS, DOOM, FAST rmx, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rocket League, Splatoon 2, Need for Speed: Most Wanted
View my Games
Merky Water

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby Topcat3 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:41 am

You are right Merky, one if for power, the other for the actual controllers. Gamecube controllers need the power of a small sun to work for some reason and USB 2.0 apparently isn't enough. If you wanted to use 8 GC controllers you would need 2 adapters.

There are other types of GC controllers coming out for Smash though, ones that plug into the Wiimote and act like classic controllers. I only have a link for UK, but i'm sure you can find them in America too. They are pretty cool, can get Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi ones.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/super-smash-br ... atGroupId=
Topcat3
GT5 UK Domination
GT5 UK Domination

Postby Rapidkirby3k » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:14 am

Already pre-ordered, as I used the Gamecube controller when I played Brawl years ago. ;)

I'm currently playing LittleBigPlanet 3, Rocket League, FAST rmx, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Gears of War 4
View my Games
Rapidkirby3k
Cowboy

Games: 5
Discord: 0875

Postby Merky Water » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:33 am

Nice TC! This is good news all around for me. I'll likely only need one adapter as i'll surely opt for some of these wiimote adapted ones anyway to save on wires crisscrossing the room. AND, that one adapter will only have to take up one USB port with the other just going to the powerstrip/surgeprotector. The only USB i have in the powerstrip right now is the cable to charge the pro controller.

I'm glad you pointed out how those HORI controllers plug into wiimote as i thought they were GC plugs. I just saw a cord and didn't bother reading the description i guess. Thanks for the headsup!

View my Games
Merky Water

TagsHORI gamecube controller, wii u, smash bros

Next

Return to Super Smash Bros