Horror Games

Use this forum for gaming discussions that either don't apply for any gaming console or can relate to them all.

Horror Games

Postby McMurphy on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:51 am

What were some video games that once put chills down your spine?

Starting with the more recent past game, I would have to say Resident Evil 2. I actually had it for the N64, but I really got into it. Playing it at midnight with all the lights out guaranteed that I was going to jump off my couch while frantically smashing the fire button when the zombie dogs burst through an one-way mirror. Just plain scary.

A game that I always found a little creepy from my childhood would be Friday the 13th. I never owned it, but I did rent it a few times. The graphics and the game play may have been below par even for the original Nintendo era, but the message, "You and your friends are dead. Game over" and Jason's ability to suddenly pop on screen had creeped me out.

Finally, I would have list Castlevania III. It never scared me, but I loved the Halloween atmosphere of the game. In fact, I have fond memories of playing the game between trick-or-treater visits on a particular Halloween as a child.
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: Horror Games

Postby WadeVC on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:36 pm

There are two that instantly come to mind:

Silent Hill

Resident Evil

These were and still are some of the BEST Horror franchises/games ever.

There is another horror game that got little recognition, but was also equally excellent, and that was The Thing on the PS2. Absolutely brilliant graphics, excellent game-play and equally rewarding storyline.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
WadeVC
Saloon Keeper

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby WadeVC on Sun May 10, 2009 1:34 am

Here is another that I enjoyed. Although it didn't contain the creepy factor or spook level of some, it was actually quite a fun (and at times difficult) game on the NES. The graphics weren't the best for sure, but overall it was worth the $20 we picked it up for:

Nightmare on Elm Street

The atmosphere was "creepy-ish", but I thought it was simply cool as the game was released in the middle of the popularity of this franchise of movies...and in the late 80's/early 90's, who didn't love Freddy?!

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
WadeVC
Saloon Keeper

Postby Mama on Mon May 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Resident Evil! OMG that one gives me the creeps even during the daylight! If I play afterdark I am guaranteed to have nightmares! I must be a sadist because I actually do enjoy the game. :twisted:

Silent Hill will also creep me out, but Resident Evil is worse (or better).
"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
Mama
Stable Hand

Postby McMurphy on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:50 pm

Halloween is probably my favorite holiday, and it gets me thinking of all the great scary gaming moments I have had in the past. What are some of yours?
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 2
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby RLGORMORTIS on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:41 pm

Oldest one I can remember was Maniac Mansion, Evil Scientist, nasty bathrooms, talking tentacles.

“It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this”- Old Man

RLGORMORTIS
Quick Thumbs

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Battle Hamster on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:16 am

McMurphy wrote:Halloween is probably my favorite holiday, and it gets me thinking of all the great scary gaming moments I have had in the past. What are some of yours?

Halloween is also my all time favorite holiday (next to Christmas)! Anyways, I have a couple: the first one is at the beginning of Resident Evil after you make it into the mansion and try to leave again (zombie dog lunging at you), and the end of Dead Space.
PSN = Battle_Hamster
Battle Hamster
Butcher

Postby leiflvr on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:42 am

Silent Hill for sure. I still remember my wife and I taking turns playing with the lights out when we were still dating and had no kids. Kept us up until 3am totally creeped out that my wife slept with the lamp on (I wasn't upset about it either but couldn't let her know).

There was another one I rented which was an Asian game where this girl had to go into this haunted house and take pictures of things. The game was garbage control-wise but the story and the atmosphere were SO scary it overcame the other stuff. Can't for the life of me recall the name tho.

MAKE ME A SANDWICH-TripleF73.
Complaints? Call 30I-DGAF
leiflvr
Jesse James

Postby FishinNick on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:45 am

Battle Hamster wrote:
McMurphy wrote:Halloween is probably my favorite holiday, and it gets me thinking of all the great scary gaming moments I have had in the past. What are some of yours?

Halloween is also my all time favorite holiday (next to Christmas)!

Agreed about Haloween! Resident Evil and Silent Hill were always slightly creepy to play in the dark.

The Walking Turret
PSN = fishinnick24
XBL = FishinNick
FishinNick
Bank Robber

Highscores: 20

Postby RLGORMORTIS on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:36 am

Well it wasnt as scary all the twisted tales of silent hill and dead space but it did have ghost pirates Playstation 1 had Alone in The Dark ;) even had a creepy clown puppet.
“It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this”- Old Man

RLGORMORTIS
Quick Thumbs

Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (5)

Next

Return to General Gaming Discussions