5K Frosty Pints - The 5,000 GS Membership Milestone!

Do you think you have comments or suggestions that may help improve the forum and even the site as a whole? Feel free to share said thoughts in this forum.

5K Frosty Pints - The 5,000 GS Membership Milestone!

Postby McMurphy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Within the first weeks of the Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 launch and on the eve the Nintendo Wii U console release, an incredible Gunslingers milestone occurred.

The Gunslingers group is now over 5,000 members strong!

I hope you find that amazing, because I sure as Hell do. Bend the ear of long time members like Balki, Korchie, Dick Lazer, or anyone else who has been active within GS for more than a few years. They will tell that it was never in our game plan to have so many fellow mature, casual gamers also consider the Gunslingers a needed outpost in their internet travels. Please, take a moment to view all the fantastic folks who have joined the rest of us in the last fifteen days.

Candyflip
Artac
xbleedblackx#1315
brumard
NeneDohdy1
Pskopathik
The_Governments
beeks4329
SouthernFist7
NClaxin33
pfeels
reavergirl
Pete_M_B
CDA Viking78
CTF_Silent
olojyu
SVTraptor
Ninja
virus78
Carlos_W
acw225
Justone93
xReALiTyxx
Fester
Rashish
Ammo777
giju
Peeblerepub
Malthyr
superrealgunny
Reddonkeyham
Miksu_91
ChaosN7
Peachy
TheNumpty21
scelaton
xraythree
Nolander629
Nightmare Wiz
IRON_Katana
hangingbaskets
ggromeo6
COACH2NE
Envidia
Eavaef
RogueSpear69
Base
flavastraw
Jman
Deadly Face
DonkCall
amorican99
hav0k1999
Grateful Dead
Travo0159
jesuspiece
EspHellion
Drewsky
bringsit
Natsuu Dragnell
II R4T3D X II
The_Hunter007
JesuZ
matty0blobber
JWicked
JayRubel
a24ofbeer
psynik
Nhlfan7
Webthingy
Rouge Kira
galle
zodiart88
Piwhy
jo87se
jgolden84
SludgeSquid
Galvarex
kreew
Zugzwang
nom0187
nightcatsmeow
michalpytek
andr3rosales
Scorp_Wild
ocoeepaddler
Brasco
DocShady
S4nDMaN
EvilSpawn50
Ace_Relic
Tarob
Shatter66
leont3557
dazbobaby
Oblitor8tor
mcbanger
chefbo50
Mroro
dai brad
MWMickster
FordSympathiser
Seaboot23213
shane0515
MrHalfEnthusiast
szczypu
violetcrush
Headsupp
TWrecks45
Legacy
guillotine-2012
xLULZx
G.O.
Sarge
steveo63racing
tstoopman
brian2325
DropkickDurfee
ToddOnFire
Wootie7
P6one6
GodAmongMen
BillHaverchuck
XeG PhEoNiXzZz
tratra
InsaneHeadbanger
b3nko
SkyLight
Adeyj
Peacaboo
lupinotum
Team Warkatz
Lilbar87
sarcastic_1
Cupcakes
BTank
xKAPP187x
RaymondS12
TheYeastlordx
Deadone
whireVieX
pwningo
The13thMonkey
TokyoEd
Razurwolf
dark_slayer_23
Malyis
Inflamaree
millar666
FL0rida CrAcK3r

To the above new members and to everyone else registered as a Gunslinger, I sincerely thank you all for joining.

The 5,000 mark is no feat in the ledger of a salesman. It isn't some sort of return of investment from advertising. GS has and will never be a money venture. We can celebrate such a milestone because of you. Because you wanted to escape typical clan obligations, because you wanted to game with other adults who share your own time restrictions, because you welcomed new members in the Introductions section, because you posted in the Introductions section, because you said "hello" in chat, because you were willing to make new friends by sending out invites from the Master Lists, because you were steadfast in keeping the GS narrative about friendliness and mutual respect rather than bragging rights, we have 5,000 members.

The way we have collectively went about making this grand experiment in social gaming succeed is also something we all should be proud of. We did it by sticking to our guns over being adults-only and casual specific. When we first entered the scene, most clans assumed that the competitive clan model was the only way in which to succeed.

Fast forward five years and, largely due to more and more adults playing video games, the general clan scene has become generally more casual. If you noticed our recruiting messages being echoed in those of other groups, you aren't alone. Sometimes, entire pages of our website are literally copied and pasted onto upstarts. Plagiarism is never welcomed, but it does serve as a positive meter-stick in regards to our influence.

That isn't to say that we are no longer ahead of the curve. The norm of gaming groups is making new members jump through hoops otherwise known as probation period, voucher requirements, and a stepped process in becoming a "true" member. People are still being asked to join groups without being able to even view their content prior to registering. The belief is that such hurdles are necessary to ensure a positive gaming experience.

Again, that is where you all come in. You are the ultimate rebuttal to that myth.

Because of your commitment in keeping us friendly and playing clean through natural social dispositions, we don't need those restrictions. We get to treat everyone here as they should be treated, regardless of what "Join Date" is stamped next to their name. Sure, there have been times when moderation by GS Leaders were needed, but moderation should always be a safety net, never a shadow cast by a gavel.

So, that was a heady rant, and I am sure I have thoroughly embarrassed myself by this point. Let's get to what all the above is really about. Celebrating! Fridays and Saturdays represent a long running tradition at GS called Frosty Pints. Grab some drinks. Grab a headset. Send out those friend invites. And light up those online servers with the GS tag. Make this Frosty Pints a toast to all that you have accomplished by continuing to do what you always have done: welcoming your fellow Gunslingers and having a good time.

Sincerely,

Gunslinger Founder,
McMurphy
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Highscores: 3
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: 5K Frosty Pints - The 5,000 GS Membership Milestone!

Postby Slammer74 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:09 pm

Congrats McMurphy, and congrats to all at GS. Im proud to be a Gunslinger :)

Gunslingers.... we're too old for your sh*t!!
Slammer74
Ace Gunman

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby mikelaird1 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Been here for 2 years and I haven't divorced Goppfather yet so I guess he and I are joined at the hip for life.That is what Gs means to me I love my peeps would not trade any of you for a squeaky voice period.
mikelaird1
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

Postby Filoofo on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:25 pm

I made a long post a while back when we were celebrating the GS anniversary and I do often repeat myself but...

I joined GS 10 months ago and it is probably one of the best things that happened to me. I have met some amazing people, sure some things brought us all down and there were dark times, but we've always stuck together. GS means more than a gaming community to me. It's my second family. It may sound cheesy but its true.

A special thanks to McMurphy for making and running GS. He's a badass and we all know it even though some of us give him hell in chat :D We all love you Murph!

5,000 members is just the beginning and I am sure we will expand to probably double that amount in no time.

Thanks to everyone for being awesome and look forward to many years of kicking ass and taking names with fellow Gunslingers.

As Mike likes to say, we ride together, we die together...GS 4 life.

People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point - George Carlin

XBL: Filoofo7
Steam ID: Filoofo
Filoofo
Widow Maker

2 years of membership2 years of membership

Postby leiflvr on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Congrats GS! A special thanks to Murph and Toezer for allowing us a spot to be ourselves and have fun. Gunslingers is the Cheers of the internet. Everyone knows your name and it's like one big family.

Oh and application to GS1 denied. ;)

MAKE ME A SANDWICH-TripleF73.
Complaints? Call 30I-DGAF
leiflvr
Jesse James

Postby McMurphy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:42 pm

leiflvr wrote:Oh and application to GS1 denied. ;)

:diddykong: I will get you for this!
McMurphy
Site Admin
Site Admin

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Highscores: 3

Postby Captain Scarlet on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Fantastic News.

I thank you for creating this place. I thank my fellow slingers for their gameplay over the past months and years.

Oh and I like the top picture. That should be a poster. :D

Congrats to Murph and all the 5000 for making this site and place extraordinary.
Xbox360
Captain Scarlet
Deuce Gunman

Postby tick221 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:18 pm

I've had the pleasure of being a Gunslinger for about 2 years now and what started out as a simple google search for a adult clan has turned into so much more. I've have met some truly incredible people from all around the world over the past few years and consider many to be close friends even though we have never met face to face. This fantastic site and wasting hours of my work day away in GS chat have become as great a release as gaming is to me.

From my first day here I like many of you was welcomed with open arms and invited to join in the game. I was utterly blown away by the quality of people that I met that first month and continue to be today as more sign up. I still remember saying to my wife how amazed I was by the great people that I was meeting. Early on I had a night were I was playing with a couple GS here in the US along with Inver from Scotland, Freddy from the UK', and my Buddy Slammer from Australia. The fact that I get to game with people from all over the world still blows my mind.

To Murphy and Toezer I like many others say thanks. I always enjoyed playing video games but what you have built here has made them FUN for me. I'm looking forward to many more good nights and Frosty Pints :D .

The list of games I refuse to pre-order for 2014 is longer than the list I am pre-ordering.
tick221
Gunslinger

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby dunkaroo69 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:42 pm

You know, I often joke about how before I joined GS I bought maybe 1 or 2 multiplayer games a year. Now, after joining GS I buy that many in a month, lol. Not because I was cheap but because I never had a group to play with, and without friends MP gaming is about as cuddly as a cactus. Which is why we're all here. To play with friends. People often wonder how I can consider everyone here at GS my friends, but I truly do. Since joining over a year ago I've made some of the strongest friendships in my life, even though I have never met, or may ever meet, most of you in the flesh. This place has seen me through good times and bad and without my friends to game with, I don't know what I would have done.

So congratulations to GS, congratulations to Murph and Toezer, congrats to everyone who wears the GS tag with pride. Congrats to all of you, my friends.
dunkaroo69
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Highscores: 1
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ahenao16 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:50 pm

I can't believe it's been 2 1/2 years that I've been part of this group. Just like Tick, I was looking for casual gameplay as I had just bought my first multiplayer game. As I posted my first hello, I was welcomed by many and invited to play by all. I have made some great friends and have found a group of people that I can talk to without worrying about how crappy I played or how many points I have accumulated or what prestige level I'm at. This is what it should be to a husband and father of 3 kids who cannot dedicate his whole day to gaming as much as he would love to. McMurph, a million thank you for starting this site, and as i always do, I need to find a day where I can meet the maker and shake his hand considering he lives close enough to have lunch with. It would be an honor my friend! To another 5,000!!!
ahenao16
Dry Goods Merchant

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Next

Return to Feedback