Login with a social network:

Squad Strategy for GS'ers?

For PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox360, and XboxOne Gunslingers!

Squad Strategy for GS'ers?

Postby manrin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:30 am

Would you be interested in coordinating gameplay to play as a squad or squad(s)? I am curious to hear some opinions and thoughts so please feel free to comment.

BF4 is a game that is well designed for Squads and Teams to coordinate their efforts to exercise a very significant advantage on the battlefield. There really is no debate about the fact that squad strategy and team strategy will always ensure battlefield dominance over a team of individual 'lone-wolfs'. With BF4 design, squad and team strategy can easily overcome individual skill as a deciding factor for winning over individual skill.

Of the bunch of GS'ers on PS4, some nights we band together to play online and we tend to favour joining the same team, the same chat and we really do have a good time.

I notice - and I am NOT complaining just observing - that many of us are 'lone wolfs' and although we almost always squad and team together the only coordination we share is some helpful information over chat and riding occasional vehicle together. We almost always forego the opportunity of advancing as a squad, coordinating class and weapons, sticking together, and using strategy. Unless we are all mocking the other team with our front of Wall-E's during Operation Locker (yes, there were over 8 of us) we rarely work as a coordinated team.

On voice chat, we occasionally hold mutual agreement that if we played as a squad we would overpower the map significantly, yet, although we start out really well, the strategy is quietly abandoned on the first respawn. One by one we default to our 'lone wolf' habits as we abandon the squad to chase a pesky sniper, revenge our jet ram death, or knife the knob in the rocks with the pew-pew gun who has no aim.

I know there are various reasons as to why we 'lone wolf' such as "self-gain vs team-gain", chaos of the game design, etc., but I am curious to hear your thoughts?

Now that you have a lot of experience with BF4, are any of you interested in evolving our gameplay to a squad strategy? Would you be interested in coordinating gameplay to play as a squad or squad(s)? If yes, please post your interest here. I will post links to material and information about squad strategy so we can leverage it.

If you are interested in squading up with others in a coordinated manner, post your interest below so others on your platform can see your interest to contact you to try to coordinate.

Thank you everyone....

gg.
manrin
Green Horn

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: Squad Strategy for GS'ers?

Postby Hir3ling » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:29 pm

BF4 squad play opinion and thoughts:

Squad play is great. So long as it's kept fun and doesn't get super serious. I've had past experiences playing with a couple people that....well the only way to describe it is....you'd think they were real soldiers and actually living the game. I've been in the Army since 1998, and even I was like "Whoa"! lol

Having said that....we have a lot of good games (on XB1) that are very squad oriented. The GS'ers that hop in our games and parties seem to always have a blast....win or lose. Yes even with a great squad we experience losses. We still get Ace Squad though. :mrgreen: The point I was getting to though is that we're always communicating. Some common things you'll hear in our games are:

I'm down - If any of us are a medic we look around...and if we are in range - Hold on I'm coming to pick you up
I just spawned in the (attack)chopper and need a gunner if anyone dies - Next person that dies usually spawns as the gunner
We'll be assaulting say Bravo - I just dropped a beacon near Bravo in case anyone dies
I'm out/ almost out of ammo - anyone already dead usually says - I'll spawn on you with some
I got the Little Bird - when squad members die they'll switch to Engineer (if not already one) bringing a repair tool and stingers 8-)
We're always spotting.
We're always calling out hostiles locations.
We warn each other if we get killed so squad mates can expect company.
We team up to take objectives.
After we get an objective - Where we going next?
We team up to destroy vehicles and campers.
If a squad member gets killed...we usually try our best to kill that hostile...and give him a little "Victory Crouch" action - Which is usually followed by a sincere "Thanks Man/Mate!" :lol:
And much much more...

Squad play definitely helps dominate the battlefield....and as long as it's kept fun...it is very enjoyable.
XB1-GT: Hir3ling
~Non Compos Mentis~

View my Games
Hir3ling
Microsoft Leader
Microsoft Leader

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Games: 21
Main Platform: XboxOne

Postby bdnyy23 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:23 pm

Haven't played BF4 in a while, but when I did I typically tried to run/help out my squad as much as I could. Whether that was running a repair tool (the only weapon/tool that I can use successfully), or swapping to medic to drop health packs/revive or Heavy to drop ammo, whatever is needed I try to do. On some maps that just doesn't work if my squad mates are already in a vehicle on the other side of the map and there is no room to spawn in those vehicles, so I spawn at a point that seems like it needs the most help. In many cases I find that squad mates would join other squad mates unless there is flag being taken when they are spawning in, at which time they would try to be Rambo and take that flag back solo.

Either way, this is why I backed away from BF4, as the number of players to squad up with had dropped, and many times I either ended up in a random squad or on the other team, and running a repair tool for randoms that jump out of the chopper as soon as it takes a hit is not much fun (repairing a chopper that doesn't have a pilot rarely works out for me).

I think a big thing that this all comes down to is communication. If there are GSers playing but they aren't in the party chat, send an invite. If they are in the Party chat, but still refuse to listen and co-ordinate with the rest of the squad, I think they need to be road killed by a friendly once or twice til they get the point ;) Either way, running any of the games as a squad, and working together does have its advantage and makes the game more fun. The game does not always make it convenient to do so, but using the party chat should help maintain that communication and coordination of attacks. Either way, whatever method the player enjoys is what they are going to do, regardless of how it effects the final outcome. Besides, not all of us can jump or bounce around the battlefield, take an entire group of enemy tags and just continue hopping without taking any damage, so the rest of us have to work together the best we can to be successful.

GS got me into playing Battlefield 3 a couple years ago, and it was one of the best times I had playing video games. BF4 wasn't bad, but the group separated and moved on to other games. I am not sure if it was the group I was playing with or the game, but it showed me how much fun a multiplayer game could be when you were playing with a great group, even if some of those players were out to get my tags more than they wanted to help me out.

With all that said, my intention is to get back to BF4 at least one night each week, so if you need a squad mate that can repair your vehicle, I am more than willing to help out ;)

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, Destiny 2
View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 14

Postby Skullcrack » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:00 pm

I agree with you guys.

I got into Battlefield 2 and loved the squad/team aspect. Dropped it for a long time but got back into it with Battlefield 3.

Win or lose, I almost always have a great time playing if I've played with a great squad. You are the kind of player(s) I look for when I'm out there. I am not the greatest . My K/D ratio sucks. But I'm a heck of a medic and I like to PTFO. I can go 10/15 and still be near the top of the scoreboard. And that's why I like Battlefield so much. It really rewards working together.

In response to the OP, I would definitely be interested. I think employing different strategies and tactics would be great. I used to play with a community where the whole team would plan out a strategy and different squads had different assignments (e.g. capture and hold Alpha). It could get boring if your objective didn't see much action, but if you were committed to the strategy and the team winning, it worked. Not saying we need to go to that level. A squad that coordinates and communicates is enough for me to enjoy the game.

I need to get a new mic soon so I can be an effective squad mate. Would love to hook up with you guys to do this. Looking forward to it.
Skullcrack
Green Horn

2 years of membership2 years of membership

Postby I WhiskeySix I » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:09 pm

. Come and play with us sometime. I'm usually in with Hireling and several others. We always try to support each other. My GT is NTAWhiskeySix.
Old age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

View my Games
I WhiskeySix I
Dude

Games: 3

Postby Skullcrack » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:48 am

I definitely will. Just ordered a new headset. I'll feel better about joining games once I have it.
Skullcrack
Green Horn

Postby I WhiskeySix I » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:44 am

I'll add you tonight Skullcrack. Man we had some good games last night. Squad of five, ace squad every game.

View my Games
I WhiskeySix I
Dude

Postby Skullcrack » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:19 pm

So Amazon hadn't shipped my headset in 2 days and they were estimating an arrival date of 10/7. I didn't want to wait. Cancelled it and ordered from Best Buy. Picked it up at the store yesterday. TB Ear Force XO Seven Pros. They seem pretty good so far. Haven't tried the mic out yet. Unfortunately, starting tonight I'm going to be busy all through the weekend. I'll try to hook up and play some early next week. I'll definitely add you if I get a chance to get on.
Skullcrack
Green Horn

Postby I WhiskeySix I » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:10 pm

Sure thing! We'll be here.

View my Games
I WhiskeySix I
Dude

Postby Skullcrack » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:54 am

Cool! Looking forward to it!

Now it seems we have kind of hijacked manrin's original post. Sorry manrin. :? You mentioned coordinating squad strategy and links to material. I'd love to see some of that. Like I said before, I don't want to get too serious about it but I think it would be fun to try coordinating some "moves" or tactical maneuvers every so often just to see how it plays out.
Skullcrack
Green Horn

Next

Return to Battlefield 4