Login with a social network:

Ricochet

Load up on guns and bring your GS* friends to the Halo 4 battlefields!

Ricochet

Postby Irisher01 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Anybody else as obsessed with this new game type as I am? Granted, it's also one of the more frustrating games when you're losing... but it's still a lot of fun.

I would love to play this game on a different map, so next time that we have at least 8 people on, we should fire up some custom games and try it out on different maps!

As far as strategy goes, it seems to make sense to have at least one person ready to play goalie when the other team has the ball. In my experience, it works well to have camo and sit invisible in front of the goal just before they come around the corner. Of course, this doesn't work if somebody else sees you first, so you have to plan accordingly. I've also been hiding just below the goal, ready to pop up at the right time.

We have to make sure not to have more than one person playing goalie at any one time. Any good team will have an attacking player at each point of the map, making it hard for the whole team to focus on the ball carrier while getting shot in the back. So, while ONE person is playing goalie the rest either need to be set up with a sniper rifle or playing "mid field": basically play at top mid, or near the enemies' entry points to fight off attackers as they come from different corners.

Also! If you have the ball and you're getting shot or you know you're going to die... just get rid of the ball! Throw that damn thing as far as you can because the last thing we want is for the ball to be loose right in front of our goal or anywhere near our goal. After you throw the ball you can chase after it if you're still alive.

Any other tips out there?
Irisher01
2013 Halo 4 Champion
2013 Halo 4 Champion

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: Ricochet

Postby McWolfn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:50 pm

Can't wait to get this dlc should have it tomorrow. It sounds badass
McWolfn
Dude

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby a microorganism » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Have you tried to load it up on other maps? I agree that would be super fun! If it doesn't let us - we could always put together a custom forge map for it. I'm sure there will be lots of those out soon. :D
a microorganism
Stable Hand

Postby Old Man Pada » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Love this new game type, a breath of fresh air sorely needed. I don't really have any strats other than attack or defend from the area you would least expect if you were the other team.
Old Man Pada
Green Horn

Postby spacesickhorse » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:58 am

its good but they should rise the target score to at least 300.
only strategy i can think is to have one of your team camp in camo around their goal to get the ball if its thrown towards it
spacesickhorse
Green Horn

Postby McWolfn » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:07 am

This is probably my favorite game type right now. Having one person float around the goal while the rest go after it seems to be the best game plan
McWolfn
Dude

Postby Irisher01 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:52 am

Yeah one person needs to stay near the goal to intercept throws, but they also need to have a shotgun/sword to quickly kill any runners that try to get around the corners.

Otherwise I can think of two things that work fairly well to score...

1.) Somebody without the ball runs ahead to the enemies' zone and when the ball carrier comes in behind, he can just throw the ball forward to the cherry picker. This seems to work because a lot of teams seem to have sole focus on where the ball carrier is most of the time and can become kind of oblivious to others. This only works with good passing.

2.) If we're all going to rush together, the ball carrier needs to enter the zone with either nobody protecting him or only one person protecting him. The others need to attack the zone from different points on the map. Again, since the other team often only cares where the ball carrier is, this gives us a chance to shoot them in the back and clear the field.

We played a team last night that was very good at passing the ball. They had one guy who played goalie and if/when he intercepted a shot, he would simply pass it forward to another teammate rather than leave the goal. He was essentially a full-time goalie.

I still think that during an offensive attack, the goalie could come forward a little bit to help out but be ready to immediately retreat instead of dying.
Irisher01
2013 Halo 4 Champion
2013 Halo 4 Champion

Postby Iconic MAC » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:14 am

Prove it! Playing now!
“Oh, you’re talking to me all wrong! It’s the wrong tone. You do it again, I’ll stab you in the face with a soldering iron.”
Prove It!
GT: xIconic MACx
Iconic MAC
Rancher

Postby Irisher01 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:19 pm

I've perfected my custom Ricochet maps. Spawns work correctly now so you'll never end up on the far side of the map. I've also added a couple cool features here and there. I might still make some minor tweaks to some of the settings, but we'll see.

So far I still just have maps for Longbow and Solace, but I'll add more soon. I'll get a rotation of five done and if we ever get enough people (8 or more) then we can try them out!
Irisher01
2013 Halo 4 Champion
2013 Halo 4 Champion

Postby Crof2003 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 am

Irisher01 wrote:I've perfected my custom Ricochet maps...

As far as forge things go, setting this gametype up didn't seem too difficult once we knew the correct settings. Is that still the case with the spawns and such that you fixed? I'm interested to see how you decided to lay the maps out.

I'm afraid that we may find that the reason the gametype is only on one map is because pitfall is the only map it works well on:
    Its small enough for games to be fast paced
    Its symmetrical so there are no side advantages
    It has lots of obstructions so you can't score by throwing directly from goals or ball spawns
    The goals are strangely protected from quick high scoring run-in, but vulnerable to low scoring throws, making each tactic valid

I'm really interested to see if this gametype will have the same long-lasting fun qualities on other maps.
Gamertag - Crof2003

Multipalyer Games: Forza, Master Chief Collection, Titanfall, Battlefield 4
Crof2003
Undertaker

Next

Return to Halo 4