Login with a social network:

Fifa 14 tips and tricks from personal experience

Whether you call it football or soccer, team up with fellow Gunslingers and practice your slide tackle!

Fifa 14 tips and tricks from personal experience

Postby Filoofo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:07 pm

Well the game has been out for almost 3 months, a month on next-gen. I've played over 500 matches already and through trial and error, I've learnt quite a few tricks and tips that can be shared. I'm no Pro at Fifa but the game is quite simple once you get the hang of it. First of all, it is important to note that the LT/L2 button has become a very important button in the game. It is used in most situations during the match so make sure you use it accordingly.

I'm gonna list all the tips, basic and the more advanced ones and hopefully new and maybe old players can benefit from them.

1. Fifa 14 is different from other games in the series, it focuses on realism a lot. The game has to be played with a certain style and tactic or else you will struggle. Never repeat the same moves twice, never make the same mistakes twice, never pass the ball from a goalkick or a freekick as it is more likely to be intercepted

2. Be unpredictable - the opponent will most likely read your moves and anticipate your passes. Fifa 14 is much faster and therefore a counter attack is deadly.

3. LT/L2 is a new feature. When in possession of the ball, you can have a tighter grip on the ball while shielding it from the opponent. This doesn't mean the ball can't be stolen from you but you can certainly escape a high pressure situation if used properly. It is also good to use if you want to create space and time for a player to make a run while you shield the ball (LB/L1 to command a second player to make a run)

4. When defending, do not rush into the opponent and try to tackle him. Instead, let them move while containing your player (LT/L2) and close them down. Most of the time, players either run out of space or make a mistake thus allowing for an interception. Also when defending, put some pressure on the player with the ball by tapping B/Circle to fight for the ball. Excessive use or button mashing will lead to a foul (or penalty if its in the box)

5. Shots are very different in Fifa 14. Make sure you are at a right angle before shooting the ball. Many players go for random shots and while that is a good tactic, it is much more dangerous for the other player when your shots are on target. Make sure you are facing the goal when shooting and don't forget that even when the ball is traveling, you can control the direction with the left stick

6. Sprint only when necessary. Players get tired over the course of the match, make sure you sprint only when needed (attacking or defending) since there is no need to sprint when in possession of the ball or when in the midfield. Sprint when you are attacking in open space. Another tip is when a player has the ball and has open space in front of him, tap the right stick twice in the attacking direction to push the ball far ahead (works great with Bale, Robben, Hazard, Sharaawy)

7. LT/L2 modifies your passing and shooting. If you press that button when passing or shooting, you get a modified shot (usually weaker and not recommended to be honest) Passing is more driven and calm when using LT although it can be dangerous to use when under pressure as the opponent is more likely to intercept

8. Stay calm during the match. Just because you are losing, doesn't mean its over. Any longtime Fifa player will tell you that any match can be turned around. I have been behind 3 or 4-0 and been able to turn it around. Several factors come into play such as the opponent making easy mistakes thinking they've won, you put more pressure etc.

9. If you are winning by a small margin (1-0, 2-1) and time is coming to an end, make sure you waste time. This is a legitimate football strategy that every team uses since possession means you won't concede. Take the ball to the opponents corner and hold it with LT/L2 and waste the time instead of conceding. I've conceded many goals in the last minutes before I realized that you must waste the last minutes of a game in order to avoid conceding

10. Headers and crossing are a good combo for scoring. Run to the wing and cross it in, the game encourages aerial play. You can use the usual cross X/Square, LB/L1 for a free cross or double tap the cross button for a more directional cross

11. When fighting for a ball in the air, in any position of the pitch, it is again, very useful to use the LT/L2 button to hold your position instead of allowing the opponent to push you away. This will give you a slight advantage and allow you to fight for the header

12. LB/L1 when in possession of the ball allows you to keep close and tight control over the ball. This means you can make better turns if the opponent has you under pressure

That's all I can think of at the moment, keep in mind that these are just my tips really. That's pretty much how I play Fifa, I'm sure I forgot a thing or two but whatever :)

Hope everyone can benefit from these tips!

I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.

Steam ID: Filoofo
Filoofo
Widow Maker

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Re: Fifa 14 tips and tricks from personal experience

Postby McCloud » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:34 pm

What about skill moves and fake shots, is it wise to do a fake shot then shoot or should we cross for an easy goal hahaha
McCloud
Cowboy

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby McCloud » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:27 am

These tips are pretty much all you need tbh.
McCloud
Cowboy

Postby Filoofo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:42 am

Feel free to add any points you feel I've missed. Enjoying the hell out of this game while every other game is rather disappointing atm.

I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.

Steam ID: Filoofo
Filoofo
Widow Maker

Postby Danny1894 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:57 am

Some good tips, the only thing I'll add is ignore footballing logic when playing against Real Madrid online.
XBL Gamertag - Danny1894
Steam ID - Mancitizens
My status
Danny1894
Green Horn

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby GEN HT » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:03 pm

Man i suck at FIFA :lol:

View my Games
GEN HT
Cattle Rustler

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 80

Postby gspsychedelic » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Good tips.

One thing that bugs me after playing the skill games.. are the pros supposed to use manual pass nowadays? Because it's so darn difficult, I literally spent hours yesterday just trying to beat the passing skill category, if it was 8 directions but 16 and I can never get the DS4 to cooperate with me on this one.
I guess I'll stick to auto pass anyway.

I'm currently playing GTA V, Overwatch, Titanfall 2
View my Games
gspsychedelic
Grave Digger

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Games: 26
Main Platform: PC

Return to FIFA Series