Login with a social network:

Nvidia Shield Mobile Gaming Device

The market of mobile device orientated gaming is quickly growing. Use this section to discuss and catalog the good times you are having in these games-on-the-go!

Nvidia Shield Mobile Gaming Device

Postby LawnGnomer 6 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:36 pm

http://shield.nvidia.com/

I saw an add for this and it was new to me. I was wondering if anyone has done any research on it, and what they thought. Also if someone owns one what they think.
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” ~Terry Pratchett

View my Games
LawnGnomer 6
Microsoft Leader
Microsoft Leader

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 12
Blog: View Blog (0)
Main Platform: XboxOne
Discord: 7190

Re: Nvidia Shield Mobile Gaming Device

Postby bdnyy23 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:16 pm

It looks great and I have read good reviews on it, but the benefits of the Shield (just like the Ouya and Chromecast) can be easily obtained with most newer smartphones, a PS3 controller and a MHL cable. I use my PS3 controller to play games on both my phone and tablet, and can connect both to my tv by using an MHL adapter so I can play them on a big screen when I travel. So I feel that you are paying money to do what most are already capable of doing and already have the items to do it.

Another option if you already have an android smartphone, is you can look into Phonejoy controllers (gamestop also had their own for a while), though it looks like Phonejoy may have a new model coming out, they used to have one that looked just like the PS3 controller.

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, Destiny 2
View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Games: 14
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby LawnGnomer 6 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:56 pm

Cool good info. One thing I'd like to mention is that the shield allows you stream games from your PC. I'm not much on mobile gaming anymore I don't travel much but I wasn't sure you could do that with a phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” ~Terry Pratchett

View my Games
LawnGnomer 6
Microsoft Leader
Microsoft Leader

Postby bdnyy23 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:56 am

Was not aware of the PC streaming, but it appears that you need a PC with a GeForce GTX GPU in order to be able to take advantage of this feature and that it is currently in beta. Guess that would be a selling point for many, but since I don't game on my PC, I never picked up on it. Also, if you really want a portable gaming device other than android (using your phone/tablet), with the price drop on the PS Vita (now $199, compared to $299 for the shield), that may be the better way to go especially if you pick up a shiny new PS4 to get the real benefits from that system.

I'm currently playing Battlefield 1, Destiny 2
View my Games
bdnyy23
Sony Leader
Sony Leader

Games: 14
Main Platform: -Not Specified-

Postby LawnGnomer 6 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:23 am

True enough:)

View my Games
LawnGnomer 6
Microsoft Leader
Microsoft Leader

Postby LawnGnomer 6 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:22 pm

I saw one of these in action today. It looks like I'd be kinda awkward to play on the buttons and joysticks are kind of sunk into the device. The graphics look to notch though.

View my Games
LawnGnomer 6
Microsoft Leader
Microsoft Leader

Return to Mobile Gaming