So, I've been holding off on posting in this thread for a little while because I wanted to gather my thoughts, and figure out how I wanted to format it. So here goes: **sorry for the wall-0-text**
1. I'm thankful for the actual, real, true friends that I've made through GS. It might sound funny and a bit sentimental, but I uprooted my family (Wife, Kid, and Dog) and moved away from everything I knew back in October of 2008. The 2000 mile separation between me and my friends and best friend was a pretty rough transition. While I have made friends here in the desert, it's just not the same... BUT... Then I found GS, and started playing with some folks. Those same folks became my real actual friends over thousands of games and countless hours on skype. Its almost like we've been friends for years (wait.. We Have!). I've met a few in person along the way, but I've talked to most of that core group on a nightly basis for almost 3 YEARS! It's hard to talk to the same people for 3 years and not call them your friends. For the sake of not getting too sappy, you guys know who you are.
2. I'm thankful for this group being an outlet from "real life". With the daily stresses we all face, whether it be bills, health, family, etc, having a big group of big hearted people that can play, joke, and take your mind off of all the negative things, is a GREAT thing!
3.I'm thankful for the generosity and general concern that our members have for one another. I've seen many many cases where our members are going out of their way to help other members whether it be with a quick note and/or emoticon, to actual real-life efforts to help ease another member's burdon. There is a term that my company uses, that I completely believe in and live by, and that term is "People Always"... GS show this on a daily basis.
4. I'm thankful for all the other GS leaders and founders who dedicate their time helping this community keep the same feel it has had for years. Even though we've grown exponentially, we remain a great group of MATURE and CASUAL gamers. Sure there are some rifts here and there, but overall, actual moderation of this site and forum has taken significantly less effort than any other community I have observed. It's this mentality and dedication by both our leaders and members that will keep this site going for years!
Not so serious:
1. I'm thankful for Topcat and his freaking tanks that always seem to blow me to smithereens!
2. I'm thankful for mummbles shooting my plane down with his AA gun!
3. I'm thankful for FishinNick and his LMGS turning me into swiss cheese!
4. I'm thankful for Shwan for being my target practice.. If it wasn't for you, my accuracy would be WAY down!
5. I'm thankful for Heims for not taking my dogtags EVERY time they see me when I play against them.
6. I'm thankful for Slammer. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be friends with anybody who's toilet flushes backwards.
7. I'm thankful for DICE for creating a game that forces us GS'ers to play against each other rather than with each other...
Ok, maybe not that last one, but I think I've had enough fun for one day. There are some more very specific personal things that I am thankful for, but I'm gonna keep those for me..
Happy Thanksgiving GS!